SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shamefully ignorant college students are asked about Pearl Harbor
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shamefully ignorant college students are asked about Pearl Harbor Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
What's even more amazing are the costs involved in HS and college to produce such stupidity.

Beat me to it. No one spends more and gets less for it than we do. Every time I hear about needing more money for our schools, I wonder how that will ever produce better results. In 1988 my prep school tuition was less than the public high school spent per student in the town where I grew up.

When I was going to college, starting in spring 1972, I was going on the GI bill. I was receiving some $330 per month. It took 1.5 months to pay for books and registration. The rest went into our savings account. I was working a more than full time job (average 60+ hours per week) and building a house on the weekends. And finished with 2 business majors, a minor in accounting and enough econ credits for another minor degree. My GPA when I graduated was 3.95. And that included ZERO of those "gimmee courses".

I have NO UNDERSTANDING OR SYMPATHY for these illiterate so-called college grads we see in the news these days. Absolutely none! I have no idea what the ratio of students who go to college for the experience, compared to those who might actually go to learn something other than the latest version of anti-American bullshit. But the ratio seems to be hugely in favor of the "experience".

I had a number of fellow vets going to the same school, and we talked a good deal. One day one of them suggested that I take a course called, "The psychology of death!" as it was a guaranteed "A". Told him I already had an "A" average and had no time or money spend on bullshit courses. He thought about that for a few seconds and decided he didn't need it either.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elk Hunter,

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

Some time ago someone did an on campus interview, asking who the USA fought against in WW2. Several of the responders maintained that we fought against FRANCE!

We didn't?

Vichy France. North Africa. Torch
Yep. That occurred to me, too.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
Thank goodness for the 3 young men near the end helping to restore faith in their generation. I thought all 3 of them did well, tall man especially since he understood the significance of Pearl Harbor being the first major attack on US soil.
Well, since 1812 anyways.

And 1775, although technically it wasn't the US. It is the same soil, though.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Its about values and what the asshats who create/support the educational system value. We at Sigforum feel, correctly, that knowledge of US/world history has value. The system doesn't. This video is the reflection of that. I'd be willing to bet my SCAR 17 that the young men who got the answers correct learned them from a source outside of the educational system (a relative/books/a mentor). Change needs to occur or change will be forced to occur.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I don't remember a much time being spent on WW1 history and not a lot on WW2 when I was in High School in the mid to late 70's. I'm not sure how much history of wars are taught, and while we can blame the school system and teachers, a good part of the blame resides with parents, if you delegate 100% of your responsibility for knowledge to the school system it's not the schools fault.

If you want your kids to know history, the constitution, your take on these things, and have them understand it from your viewpoint then involvement is the only way, it's been that way for decades.

Either that or apply to teach in the school system, get appointed to a school board and change it from within.

As to WW2 most of it I learned myself reading books, watching movies, back then we didn't have all the channels on cable we do today or the innerwebs. My parents supplied the information sources, and it was my job to educate myself.

Imagine there are many kids that know this stuff, or some of it, but you're not going to see them in these videos, they are designed to get hits, nothing more by being controversial, if they showed people knowing the answers nobody would watch them... JMO

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What HRK said.... I have a photo of my kid at about age 10 in front of the Wright family (think Orville and Wilbur) plot in Woodland Cemetery in Dayton.
I made it point to demonstrate our history to the kid and emphasized this by visiting the many graves of veterans.
He now knows that our freedom came at great cost,

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate enough to have a step father who served in WW II, in Leyte, in the Pacific Theater. He wasn't at Pearl Harbor when it was attacked, but was stationed there in transit to Leyte. My history was second hand, but it always stuck with me , what he told me, to this day.

Pearl Harbor was a tragedy , the same as 9/11, and should be known as such, even some 70 years later. Those things mean nothing to the ignorant.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
WW II as explained by modern schools:

• US of A = Good guys.
  • Germany = Bad guys.
  • Hitler = Very bad guy.

Twelve minutes later it is all about Kennedy and the '60s!

•  
    Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    Sheep and imbeciles. Good God.

Roll Eyes

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107590 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Leemur
    posted Hide Post
    When they realize they’re opposed to a black man I bet their tiny brains start to smoke.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
    posted Hide Post
    I don't think they will be attending any of the Jeopardy auditions.

Posts: 1955 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Makes me glad I'm 71 & a short timer.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    These children do not think for themselves and they have no desire to become informed. The intellectual laziness is disgusting.

You're not in college. You're in the final phase of your indoctrination, you empty-headed louts.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107590 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Step by step walk the thousand mile road
    Picture of Sig2340
    posted Hide Post
    Against a building named for Thomas?

I bet they'd change their minds if the interviewer said "Jeez people, that little tank engine invented English muffins!!"

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
    Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Just because you can,
    doesn't mean you should
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by parabellum:
    These children do not think for themselves and they have no desire to become informed. The intellectual laziness is disgusting.

You're not in college. You're in the final phase of your indoctrination, you empty-headed louts.

The only positive I could get from that is these students are in an art school, not a medical college.
    I would hate so see one come into my room with a sharp object in their hand or be making decisions that concern my well being.
    There always needs to be somebody that makes the French Fries.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post