SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shamefully ignorant college students are asked about Pearl Harbor
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shamefully ignorant college students are asked about Pearl Harbor Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
There is hope for that one guy who answered everything correctly.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is nothing new. Twenty years ago I got into a conversation with a High School sophomore or junior who claimed to be very enthusiastic about history, her favorite subject, yada yada.

I asked her who won WWII, didn't know. Who fought in WWII, didn't know. Who bombed Pearl Harbor, didn't know.

When I was her age, WWII history was mandatory, taught in detail, as was WWI, the Civil War, and the American Revolution.

When I asked her if she had ever heard of Guadalcanal and she hadn't, the guy sitting with us began to cry quietly. He fought there, which I didn't know before this conversation.

I figured it was time to stop talking to the girl.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
The “kids” just attend the re-education kamps. Blame their freakin’ parents for allowing them to absorb that shit unchallenged. Freaking baby boomer culture and their unending lust for liberty without virtues.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Jeezus H. Christ on a popsicle stick. If I ever doubted my own ignorance, it just evaporated...I'm a MENSA compared to these friggin' DOLTS. And these stupid, moronic, idiotic snotrags think they know best?!?!? They can all eat a big ol' bag of fecal matter. Praise God for the few gentlemen that have a brain cell in their skull. Unbelievable.....

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
"America is not at war, the Marines Corps is at war. America is at the mall."

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's even more amazing are the costs involved in HS and college to produce such stupidity.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I would like the test repeated:

1) at a high school in Honolulu
2) at a UH in Honolulu
3) at a top tier school (Stanford, Yale, whatever) w/ students who yielded > 95 percentile on standardized tests.
4) at a mainstream school (UCLA, SUNY, UI or something).

How bad is the problem really?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:

While I agree with the intent of your statement, I know, personally, several army troops who were wounded over there in the sandbox. Not to mention a several who were killed. Most recently some SF troops who were part of my grandson's SF unit. Or the fact that my grandson's team has been to the sandbox some 7 times now. Members of my grandson's team were really hard hit by the death of those 3 a few days back.

I shudder to think of the probable answers from these dipshits when asked about what is happening in the middle east, who is fighting there, and why.

"Oh, were have Americans fighting over there?"

Duh! Even CNN bothers to mention it once in a while.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:

While I agree with the intent of your statement, I know, personally, several army troops who were wounded over there in the sandbox. Not to mention a several who were killed. Most recently some SF troops who were part of my grandson's SF unit. Or the fact that my grandson's team has been to the sandbox some 7 times now. Members of my grandson's team were really hard hit by the death of those 3 a few days back.

I shudder to think of the probable answers from these dipshits when asked about what is happening in the middle east, who is fighting there, and why.

"Oh, were have Americans fighting over there?"

Duh! Even CNN bothers to mention it once in a while.

And amen, generically applied for all our services engaged. Been downrange myself, and more than one friend will never come back. This was actually written on a wall in Ramadi, and memed more than a few times. And it is unfortunately the way we are, today, witnessed by the answers on the video. It's mildly funny, but more than mildly pathetic. A generation is lost, or near-lost.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
A generation is lost, or near-lost.
Not just one, unfortunately--their parents are almost as clueless.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jay Leno when he did the Tonight show would often go onto the streets with camera for a skit called "Jay Walking". His questions to the person on the street usually revolved around History or Geography.

He came across some incredibly stupid young people.

One classic answer came from one young girl who thought Korea was the capitol of North Dakota.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

Some time ago someone did an on campus interview, asking who the USA fought against in WW2. Several of the responders maintained that we fought against FRANCE!

We didn't?

Vichy France. North Africa. Torch

On November 8, 1942, the military forces of the United States and the United Kingdom launched an amphibious operation against French North Africa, in particular the French-held territories of Algeria and Morocco. That landing, code-named ‘Torch,’ reflected the results of long and contentious arguments between British and American planners about the future course of Allied strategy — arguments that were finally stilled by the intervention of the American president, Franklin D. Roosevelt. In both a direct and an indirect sense, Torch’s impact was enormous on the course of Anglo-American strategy during the remainder of the war. It may have been the most important strategic decision that Allied leaders would make. In fact, this amphibious operation inevitably postponed the landing in France until 1944, but at the same time it allowed the United States to complete mobilization of its immense industrial and manpower resources for the titanic air and ground battles that characterized the Allied campaigns of 1944. ...

At the operational level, the Torch landings almost immediately succeeded. The initial Allied hope was that dissident French officers who supported the Allied cause would rise up and seize control of the levers of power. Such hopes, however, proved false. Ironically, the military forces of Vichy France once again, as they had done at Dakar in 1940 and in Syria in 1941, resisted Allied military forces — something they failed to do against invading German forces in France in November 1942 and in Tunisia that same month. Fortunately for the fate of the Allied invasion, the Germans had never trusted the Vichy leaders and, as a result, had prevented them from modernizing their military forces in North Africa. The result was that French tanks were obsolete even by 1940 standards, while the defenders possessed insufficient combat aircraft. Nevertheless, the French gave a good account of themselves. In some places it was touch and go, but in the end the French were never in a position to put up sustained resistance against attacking Allied forces.

For the initial landings, the Americans provided the bulk of the forces, in the hope that the French would be less willing to offer resistance to U.S. troops. That also proved to be an idle hope. On the coast of Morocco, the French failed to put up effective opposition against most of the American landings, but the heavy Atlantic surf more than made up for the weak resistance. During the landings at Fedala, the transport Leonard Wood lost 21 of its landing craft in the surf, with heavy loss of life. The transport Thomas Jefferson lost 16 of its 31 landing craft, with three more damaged, in delivering just the first wave of troops. The transport Carroll had the worst experience: She lost 18 of her 25 landing craft in the first wave and five in the second wave, leaving just two operable boats to move troops and supplies to the beachhead. Luckily for the Americans, only the landings near Mehdia ran into serious opposition from defending French forces. As the official history notes: ‘The situation of [the landing] force at nightfall, 8 November, was insecure and even precarious.’

Only first-class leadership by Maj. Gen. Lucian Truscott, hard fighting by American troops and naval gunfire support finally managed to deliver the airfield near Mehdia into American hands by November 10. At that point fighting stopped due to negotiations between French military leaders and the Allies in Algeria. "

http://www.historynet.com/oper...-of-north-africa.htm

History can be a little bit challenging, eh? Smile

"9. Operation Torch

In November 1942, an Anglo-American invasion force landed in French North Africa under the command of General Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Having secured the surrender of the Vichy French government, Eisenhower’s forces advanced into Tunisia with the intention of securing Tunis. They were halted by German and Italian troops at the Battle of the Kasserine Pass, which exposed the American forces’ lack of experience. "

https://www.historyhit.com/10-...th-african-campaign/

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

https://warfarehistorynetwork....admiral-jean-darlan/

When Hitler’s troops entered Paris, all effective resistance from the regular French Army ended. Hitler proceeded to divide the country into two distinctive sections, one controlled by French collaborators with its seat of government at Vichy. The other, which was mainly to the north, including the capital of Paris, was under German occupation.

Into this highly volatile mix strode the man at the center of events, Admiral Jean Darlan. Darlan was the French naval commander-in-chief under the pro-German Vichy regime and no friend of the Allies. As time went on, Darlan would serve as the de facto prime minister of the Vichy government and command all Vichy French forces in North Africa.

Jean Darlan was born on August 7, 1881, in the French town of Nerac. His father served as a minister of justice in the French government. He traced his ancestry back to the Battle of Trafalgar, where one of his grandfathers was killed while commanding a ship in that momentous event. Young Jean graduated from the esteemed Lycée St. Louis in Paris in 1899, and later attended the French naval academy, earning his degree in 1902. During World War I, he commanded a battery of naval guns.

Darlan’s rise through the ranks of the French Navy was swift, and by 1929 he was promoted to rear admiral. His first major task was the rebuilding of the French Navy after the disarmament that followed the end of the “Great War.” Darlan personally supervised the reconstruction of the French fleet. By 1936, he was promoted to chief of the navy’s general staff and was responsible for all French maritime operations. He was now one of the most influential men in the French armed forces, and he used his power to the fullest extent.

Code-named Operation Torch, the American landings in the west and the advance of the British Eighth Army from the east would squeeze the Axis forces between them and eventually expel the enemy from North Africa. However, as military preparations for the landings took shape, a covert operation was under way directed against the leader of the pro-German armed forces in France, Admiral Jean Darlan. Just two months after the Torch landings, Admiral Darlan was killed in an operation linked to the super-secret British intelligence group MI-6, also known as the SIS (Secret Intelligence Service), and possibly the American Office of Strategic Services (OSS), the forerunner of the modern Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), led by William “Wild Bill” Donovan.

http://www.worldwar2facts.org/operation-torch.html

Operation Torch Commanders

Allies
Dwight D. Eisenhower (U.S.)

Operation Torch
Near Algiers, Showing Beach at "Surcouf" now called "Ain-Chrob" seaside village "Torch" troops hit the beaches behind a large American flag "Left" hoping for the French Army not fire on it., 11/08/1942

Andrew Cunningham (U.K.)
George S. Patton (U.S.)
Lloyd Fredendall (U.S.)
Kenneth Anderson (U.K.)
Henri d'Astier (Free France)
José Aboulker (Free France)
Axis Powers
Vichy France:
François Darlan
Charles Noguès
Frix Michelier
Germany:
Ernst Kals

"Near Algiers, Showing Beach at "Surcouf" now called "Ain-Chrob" seaside village "Torch" troops hit the beaches behind a large American flag "Left" hoping for the French Army not fire on it., 11/08/1942 "

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
What's even more amazing are the costs involved in HS and college to produce such stupidity.

Beat me to it. No one spends more and gets less for it than we do. Every time I hear about needing more money for our schools, I wonder how that will ever produce better results. In 1988 my prep school tuition was less than the public high school spent per student in the town where I grew up.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Facts about battles with Fance are as stated, but I don't think some unenlightened-people mentioned that because they knew history.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness for the 3 young men near the end helping to restore faith in their generation. I thought all 3 of them did well, tall man especially since he understood the significance of Pearl Harbor being the first major attack on US soil.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I'm not even gonna try and watch it.

My blood is already at low boil today.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
Thank goodness for the 3 young men near the end helping to restore faith in their generation. I thought all 3 of them did well, tall man especially since he understood the significance of Pearl Harbor being the first major attack on US soil.
Well, since 1812 anyways.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2057 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet most kids and adults wouldn't know about our history, unfortunately. They would know more about who won a certain game or who won what award or whatever hollyweird is spewing. We are doomed to repeat history or even worse.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
"Like..." Every time I hear a sentence start with that word, my head almost explodes. The parents paying the tuition for most of those kids need to demand a refund.

+10,000

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post