SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cambria countertops
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cambria countertops Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
I got a quote to have a Cambria Menai quartz countertops installed in the kitchen over 1/2 inch plywood.

It's 2cm countertops with a 1 1/2 inch mitered edge and 4 inch backsplashes.

It's about 44 sq ft of counters with a farm sink and an electric cooktop.

The quote was $5800 installed which works out to $131 per sq ft.

Does this seem high? I keep seeing people talking online about Cambria being $50 to $100 per sq ft installed.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Cambria is about the top of the price scale. Granite I assume? We just went through this with our kitchen. We went with quartz provided and installed by a local company. Quartz looks nearly just as nice and is less maintenance than granite. Granite has to be sealed regularly to ward off spill stains and a errant hot pot placed directly on it will leave scorch marks.

Quartz does run a bit cheaper but will still be digging into your wallet. The rep we talked to said the biggest thing with granite is it's natural stone so therefore no two pieces are alike. So nobody in the world will have the exact same coounter tops you do.

We took the extra money we saved with quartz and put it into better quality cabinetry. Glad we did.

OOps rereading your post I seen you went with quartz. So disregard everything I just said! Big Grin

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
Cambria is a quartz composite made in the United States.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Seems high to me too, get some other quotes.

Posts: 22895 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
Cambria is a quartz composite made in the United States.

Yes and that's what we did but I don't even know where our contractor sourced it from. Cambria also does granite. Ours wasn't that much but we had a different situation. We did a glass tile back splash on the wall from the top of the counter tops to the bottom of the upper cabinets. Wife didn't want any painted walls. Also we did a range and not a built in stove top so there was less cutting in. We also went with just a white color counter top rather than a pattern.

I can say this you will love that farm house sink! We did the apron farmhouse in enameled cast iron and it looks fantastic and is very functional. I got some sticker shock on those prices but I hadn't priced kitchen sinks in well, probably ever! I think it came in at 170 pounds or so. The contractor had to build a pretty beefy frame for it to set into.

If we put our counter tops and back splash together we are probably over what you are quoted.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post