SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sessions says all illegal border crossers will be prosecuted; children may be separated from parents
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sessions says all illegal border crossers will be prosecuted; children may be separated from parents Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced Monday that the Department of Homeland Security will refer anyone caught entering the U.S. illegally from Mexico to the Justice Department for prosecution.

"If you cross the border unlawfully, then we will prosecute you. It’s that simple," Sessions said. "If you smuggle illegal aliens across our border, then we will prosecute you. If you are smuggling a child, then we will prosecute you and that child may be separated from you as required by law."

Sessions' so-called "zero tolerance policy" raises the possibility that immigration authorities could separate parents from their children whenever a family is apprehended attempting to cross the border. The Wall Street Journal, citing the Department of Health and Human Services, reported earlier Monday that 700 children had been separated from their families since October of last year.

Border Patrol agent says migrants at the border do not look like asylum seekers.
The attorney general added that making false statements to an immigration officer, filing a fraudulent asylum claim or helping others do so would be prosecuted as felonies.

"We're here to send a message to the world that we are not going to let the country be overwhelmed," Sessions said. "People are not going to caravan or otherwise stampede our border. We need legality and integrity in our immigration system."

Monday's announcement came about a week after hundreds of Central American migrants traveled to the San Ysidro, Calif., port of entry seeking asylum following a monthlong caravan through Mexico.

President Donald Trump described the caravan as proof that more must be done to secure the border with Mexico, including building a wall, while Sessions called it "a deliberate attempt to undermine our laws and overwhelm our system."

"I have no doubt that many of those crossing our border illegally are leaving behind difficult situations," Sessions said Monday. "But we cannot take everyone on this planet who is in a difficult situation."

U.S. officials turn away majority of migrant caravan and cite border is at capacity. William La Jeunesse reports from Calexico.
Last week, Sessions announced that the Justice Department was sending 35 assistant U.S. attorneys to the southwestern border to to "prosecute illegal entries into our country," while 18 immigration judges would focus "full time" on clearing a backlog of asylum claims.

On Monday, Sessions said the Trump administration's actions were necessary because of "massive increases in illegal crossings in recent months."

"These trends are clear; these trends must end," Sessions said, adding that "11 million people are here already illegally. That's more than the population of Portugal or [the state of] Georgia."

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...ed-from-parents.html

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sessions is useless; the only time he shows his face is to talk about immigration.

While immigration is one of the bedrock principals that got Trump elected, there are so many other critical issues that need the attention of an aggressive Attorney General.

He stabbed President Trump in the back when he did not tell him he was going to recuse himself and allow others to make critical decisions that effect the country.

My wife says to give Sessions a chance; according to her, Sessions has not yet proven himself a feckless, gutless limp-wrested, no cajones, swamp dwelling, politician. I of course feel differently.

It is a slim possibility that Trump knows something that the public does not, however it will take the indictment of many people before I will admit that Sessions is not the worst Presidential pick of Trumps administration

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
children may be separated from parents

And the parents who put them in that situation are responsible.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:

And the parents who put them in that situation are responsible.

Precisely. How is this any different than kids that have parents in prison for breaking any number of other laws? If a bank robber's kids get separated from the one incarcerated, then, well, it just kind of goes with the territory. If the main goal is not to be separated then don't do the crime in the first place.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I don't recall the numbers exactly but in the 90's when i worked for the INS we caught hundreds a day in the El Paso sector. IIRC San Diego sector was like a 1000 a day. 18 judges and 35 prosecutors won't make a damn bit of difference in any attempt to prosecute. We didn't have the camp space for the repeat offenders then. We used to rent entire hotels and guard it to give these detainees a place to stay. Deportations take months. Criminal prosecutions will take longer. Sessions is bluffing at best. At worst he needs to be drug tested.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:

I don't see how it would even be possible to separate them if they all got turned around at the border.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Well damn mr mcGoo woke up

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lock these invaders up! Send a message and maybe these illegals will think twice. I certainly don't blame these people for wanting a better life, but do it the right way......not climb the fence and sneak in. The days of Obama are thankfully over, law and order is the word of the day. Just want for the day to come that Obama and his corrupt administration are held accountable. I would love to see these bastards locked up.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
I don't recall the numbers exactly but in the 90's when i worked for the INS we caught hundreds a day in the El Paso sector. IIRC San Diego sector was like a 1000 a day. 18 judges and 35 prosecutors won't make a damn bit of difference in any attempt to prosecute. We didn't have the camp space for the repeat offenders then. We used to rent entire hotels and guard it to give these detainees a place to stay. Deportations take months. Criminal prosecutions will take longer. Sessions is bluffing at best. At worst he needs to be drug tested.

While we certainly don’t have the resources to do what Seasions proposes, a lot has changed since the 1990s in terms of detention space.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post