SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I missed my small side by side....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I missed my small side by side.... Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
I had a Kawasaki Mule 610 (now called SX I believe) which I liked for its build quality, small size and 52" width which allowed it to fit on ATV width trails and tight places in woods. But after 3 years its crude suspension, 13.5hp motor, and 24mph top speed (LOL down hill), I just wanted a bit more so I sold it and got a 60" wide, 44hp mid size machine with longer travel independent suspension. You wouldn't think 6" wider would make much difference but it sure does on tight trails, or between trees when there's no trail at all. Anyway long story short I sold an old 2004 ATV I had and replaced it today with a Honda Pioneer 520 which is a very small 50" wide side by side. Compared the little Mule it has real suspension, over double the HP, and almost 40 mph top speed. It also comes with a 5-speed transmission with paddle shift or automatic mode.
The wet snow is too slippery and deep in the woods (except near the edge) for anything other than level or down hill so I played around on my fields and local dirt. My initial impression is I really like it and can't wait to use it in the woods for cutting firewood...... and playing Smile.

For any looking for an affordable, 2-seat, UTV small enough to fit on ATV trails and in the back of a full size pick-up give Honda's Pioneer 520 a look.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Can you install a trailer hitch? I think that would be great for hauling a field kitchen for off road camping.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice. My Dad is looking for a side by side for the farm. What do they run and are there any deals right now?

Posts: 814 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Nice!

We use a Mule 3010 Diesel at the farm, haven't done any trails with it, but like you said - not really designed for that! Smile

Before she got covered from head to toe in mud over this winter. She will need a long bath after the mud fest that has been this winter.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Can you install a trailer hitch? I think that would be great for hauling a field kitchen for off road camping.

Yes it comes with a small receiver (maybe 1 1/4"?) I think the same as small cars like RAV4, Subaru's etc. Also you can buy a 2" receiver after market that bolts to the frame.

quote:
Nice. My Dad is looking for a side by side for the farm. What do they run and are there any deals right now?

They list for $9,500 but given covid short supply and this being a new model I doubt you'll find them discounted too much. Previous to this model Honda had (and still does sell) the Pioneer 500. The 500 is essentially the same UTV with the older 500cc motor (about the same power) and a rack on the back instead of the dump bed of the 520. I think the P500 used to sell for $9,100 but Honda dropped the price to $8,500 now to differentiate it from the 520. So if you don't need the little dump bed along with a few minor changes the P500 would be a good deal, and probably more readily available right now.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Nice!

We use a Mule 3010 Diesel at the farm, haven't done any trails with it, but like you said - not really designed for that! Smile

Before she got covered from head to toe in mud over this winter. She will need a long bath after the mud fest that has been this winter.

Thanks Bama! That Mule 3010 is a workhorse! My other UTV is a Mule, though the midsize Pro MX not the heavy duty full size like yours.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i am currently in the market as I have sold what I had. I really have a $10ish budget. Puts me in the 500cc possible the 600cc class mostly. I need a work machine mostly. Something that can plow snow. Has a winch. Has a decent box size, cargo and towing capacity and is generally a reliable machine.

I do like Honda equip. Have three outboards and a Ridgeline and generator. All gems. I would love a Pioneer 700 but definitely outside my budget. I think this 520 is marginal for a work machice. I could be wrong though.

For the most machine for the money it seem's Kawasaki wins out as best I can tell. I think a Polaris Ranger 570 might be attainable very close to my budget. If staying in the 500cc class I am leaning toward a Can Am HDs500 Defender. If I stretch my budget maybe a HDS8.

I am not stuck on the width. If choosing between the Polarsis Ranger 570 mid size or full size I might opt for the midsize version.

Any additional thoughts are welcome.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
My other UTV is a Mule Pro MX which (which replaced a Ranger 500) is not that much more than the 520 I just bought, it's heavier duty all around but still sporty, unlike the old Mules. It's 60" wide with a 700cc single cylinder FI engine putting out over 40hp, high low range, rear differential with lock, 25" tires, all steel floor and bed floor. Top speed is governed at 45. The ProMX lists for $10,300 which is a bargain AND the Mule has a 3 year warranty. The Mule ProMX EPS is the same machine only with 4 headlights instead of 2, and electric power steering but costs $12,000. Another good deal is Honda Pioneer 500 which Honda lowered the price on for 2021 to $8,499, it's essentially the same as the 520 only with a rear rack instead of the dump bed.
For a small, lighter duty, fun, relatively inexpensive, UTV I like the Pioneer $8,500 500 / $9,500 520. A step up in size and work capability but still fun would be Pioneer 700 $11,000 or Pro MX $10,300 or MX EPS $12,000.

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I drive the crap out of this thing. Don't know what I'd do without it.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all that info. The Honda 700 Pioneer and $11k is one with out the paddle shifter. Which is not a deal breaker. But would prefer that option. Is the $11k a msrp for the base 700 Pioneer?

Thanks.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info ridewv!

Posts: 814 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I have a 2021 Honda 520 side by side ordered in olive green.
Delivery date is still undetermined.
I'm due to call the dealer again in the beginning of March.
My trail system at my rural property is set up for barely ATV width.
Plus I've had SUPER reliability with my Honda ATV's.
It was a no-brainer to choose the Pioneer 520.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1497 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Love my RZR trail, not as utilitarian as your Pioneer but fun on the trails. I have had it to 65 on the roads with a bit more pedal. My wheels and tires make it a bit wider then 52” but still will go through the trail limiter gate.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
We have a diesel Mule 4010 on our farm. It isn't pretty, it isn't fast, but it will haul, pull a trailer, and go through lots of stuff without complaint.

Not agile, but very useful.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
i do see the Pioneer 700 is $10,999 msrp. For a two seater that is a competitor at that price.

Bassamatic, what is yours?

posted Hide Post
I thought this thread was going to be about 18" side by side shotguns which are remarkably compact since there is no action taking up space like on a pump or semi.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Thanks for all that info. The Honda 700 Pioneer and $11k is one with out the paddle shifter. Which is not a deal breaker. But would prefer that option. Is the $11k a msrp for the base 700 Pioneer?

Thanks.

Yes I think the base version is $11K.

quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
I have a 2021 Honda 520 side by side ordered in olive green....

...My trail system at my rural property is set up for barely ATV width.
Plus I've had SUPER reliability with my Honda ATV's.
It was a no-brainer to choose the Pioneer 520.

I hope yours arrives soon. Sounds like my trails. When I created them it was for my ATV and later they were fine for the 54" Mule. When I went to the 60" wide midsize I had to widen them by cutting some small trees. Now it will fit on them, other than one section, but the smaller 50" P520 will be fun on them with room to spare.
Now to decide what accessories to add...... Smile