SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Those that have taken their vacation of a lifetime step inside please
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Those that have taken their vacation of a lifetime step inside please Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted
First a little background.
My wife and I will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary in a little over two years.
This is about the point I would want to start planning and saving.
We are Disney Vacation club Members, live in central Florida and go to Disney all the time so this would not be an Idea.
We have also done 9 Disney cruises so this would also would be out.
We were originally thinking of an Alaska cruise that also has some land touring aspect to it. Has anyone done this and could give some info on it?
I was thinking of Europe but with there being a language barrier I would think a tour company would be the way to go.
Does any one have any experience with vacations that would be out of the ordinary? Something different most people would not think of.
Any ideas would help.
Thanks

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2552 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a Club member you can use your points all around the world, if you didn't know this. Hawaii included.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've got the hot under your belt. I'd strongly suggest looking for something striking out from Vancouver and exploring British Columbia. (Disney has cruises out of there by the way).

IMO the some of the prettiest terrain in North America is found in Canada. The lakes are mind blowing and what I have encountered clean.

We are doing an adventures by Disney out of Bozeman MT striking out next month. Several stops in MT and WY. I'll report back on that as well, I've never been to either of those states.

Here is one that strikes out of Calagary -

https://www.adventuresbydisney...n-rockies-vacations/

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I guarantee you’ll love Hawaii. Cool

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Alaska land/sea cruise-tours are nice. Everyone speaks English and take $$. Weather can be hit-or-miss.

Posts: 9000 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Millions of Americans who cannot speak another language go to Europe every year without any difficulty.

That said, nothing is more romantic than a vacation in Italy!

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Alaska Cruises are awesome, in particular if you do the train part too.

But Hawaii is nice too. Maui is my favorite.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
As a Club member you can use your points all around the world, if you didn't know this. Hawaii included.

Thanks I some times forget about the Member getaways.
My wife and I have been members for 22 years and have only used the member getaways part of DVC to go to Vegas for the Shot Show once.
I may look at other getaways including Adventure by Disney but it is not always the best use of points.
My wife likes the idea of Hawaii but I have no desire to go to Hawaii.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2552 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
My wife and I agree that the best "vacation" that we ever took was our trip to Thunder Ranch for the Team Tactics class back in the mid 90s.

We flew down a couple of days early and stayed at a bed n breakfast in San Antonio, loved the city. Then headed out to Kerrville TX.

We had a great time!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AzMikeCFD102
posted Hide Post
A few of my firefighter friends have taken cruises to Alaska, they all had nothing but great things to say about their experiences both on the ship and off. The one suggestion given was to take advantage of the ships consigliere for the various adventures offered. If you book an adventure with the consigliere passengers get preferential service.

MAGA

NRA
Gun Owners of America

Posts: 387 | Location: Tucson, Az | Registered: August 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
We went to Ireland for 8 days for our honeymoon and that was one of the best vacations I'd ever taken. No language barrier either!

This was the tour company, they are really, really good:

CIE Tours: Ireland

Posts: 33580 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Consider one of the 4 all-inclusive resorts in Punta Cana DR.

Viking river cruise of EU.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
We did the land sea Alaska cruise some years ago, and enjoyed it enormously.

30 year anniversary, you probably prefer something more sedate for the ship. We chose Holland America.

We flew to Anchorage. The next morning we went by train through Denali staying a night in the park, getting out into the deep boonies, with a view of Mt. McKinley whatever it is now. We overnighted in Fairbanks, then flew back to Anchorage and bussed to the ship. From there we took the inside passge back to Seattle, and flew home.

The excursions are fascinating. We took a helo to the Glacier, flew by seaplane to an inland lake to watch bears brunch on fresh salmon, panned for gold, and more besides. It was expensive, but I figured, rightly it turns out, that we would never be up that way again.

We were advised to take the last southbound trip of the year, mid-September, for mosquitoes and weather concerns. That worked out well. I can’t say how other times would work out, of course.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Paratus
Picture of sj4550
posted Hide Post
For a 35 year anniversary trip, we went to Italy. It was our first oversees trip and we are not experienced international travelers

It was a two week trip including Rome,Positano, Florence, Siena, and Venice. Did not have much language issues.

We used a tour company, AVVENTURE BELLISSIME to schedule the hotels, car service,train travels and some guided city tours. Became comfortable moving around Italy (not as intimidating as it sounds).

awesome trip. really enjoyed the coast in Positano. See the movie "Under the Tuscan Sun" and you will get an idea about Tuscan region and Positano.

email is in my profile if you would like to continue the discussion

Steve

Posts: 373 | Location: Ovilla, TX | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many will think i am crazy but the place I have always wanted to go to since I was little was Afghanistan.

I studied the country and every book report I ever had to write in High School and College was about it.

I always wanted to go to the Panjshir Valley but I got send to Helmand and then Kandahar. It was still awesome, and I loved six of the seven months there, and look forward to going back in the fall for another deployment.

On my bucket list is the Azores or Alaska.

Some deep part of me would like to see the area my father fought in during his tour in Vietnam in 1968.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I don't know how much you are willing to spend but the people I've known that went to Australia or New Zealand said that it was well worth the money. Iceland is also becoming a popular destination as well.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Something out of the ordinary would be Turtle Island, Fiji. https://www.turtlefiji.com

We did this in 1999. Wowzers! Private island, no cars, no TV, rsdio, fax machines, internet, 14 private bures on a 500 acre island, with 14 English speaking heterosexual couples, all inclusive, staff of 120 or so to take care of you, 14 private beaches....

The worst part is that when your week is up, you don’t want to leave.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
well, I hope it wasn't the vacation of a lifetime (as in, I hope to do it again, and even top it) but we spent 2 weeks in France and Italy, with a little bit in London. Had an amazing time. Its more work but I would not do any kind of tour company. Yawn. Get out and make your own adventure. Tour companies will funnel you to tourist garbage, most likely. In the big cities in Europe, there is plenty of English being spoken. But you should definitely try to learn some of the language... that is being a good traveler. They'll appreciate you and work with you more. We are hoping to go to Barcelona for a week next March for anniversary #10.

I don't have a lot of desire to go to Asia, but I would love to go to Africa.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10468 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
My parents did many trips but there were 2 that stood out to us as their favorites.

They did an Alaska cruse and land tour. They did the inside passage on a small cruise ship. The personal attention to details due to the limited numbers of passengers and the smaller ship's ability to get into areas that the bigger ships could no go made the cruise different from all the other cruises they had gone on.

The other one was a trip to Costa Rica. They flew into the pacific side and did an overland eco trip across it to the east side where they took a ship back through the Panama Canal to where they started. I have a picture of my dad with a sail fish he caught on a fishing charter he took on the trip.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3837 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I would look at South Africa. The dollar to the Rand is 1:13. Your buying power for the dollar is greater. African Travel booked everything from Winery tours to Shark Cage diving.
Do the math....2.100 Rand Shark dive - boat, breakfast and transfer ( 1.5 hr ride) is $160 US.
Average cost for dinner for 2 including bottle of wine is $25 US.
I did an African Safari 3 days— think Animal Kingdom with 5 star food and accommodations. 2 days in Durban- coastal Florida on the India ocean. 4 days in Cape Town— NYC 5 star Hotel at reasonable rates— 3 course meal for 2 include wine for $25 US.
African Travel arranges everything from greeter at the gate , transfers, side trips.
A lot to do in South Africa...your dollar goes 3-4 times further in 4-5 star hotel.
DVC member for 25 years now.
Do South Africa.

Posts: 2293 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post