SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year II
Page 1 ... 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 ... 308

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year II Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A worker bee with the appropriate clearance, Clarence, has to look things over and redact any truly sensitive information. We don't want to Geraldo ourselves via the documents...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
A worker bee with the appropriate clearance, Clarence, has to look things over and redact any truly sensitive information. We don't want to Geraldo ourselves via the documents...

Well, here is what tells Clarence what to do or not do:
EO 13526
https://www.archives.gov/isoo/...s/cnsi-eo.html#three

I’m sure the FBI and DOJ will properly weight public interest above classified information.

d) It is presumed that information that continues to meet the classification requirements under this order requires continued protection. In some exceptional cases, however, the need to protect such information may be outweighed by the public interest in disclosure of the information, and in these cases the information should be declassified. When such questions arise, they shall be referred to the agency head or the senior agency official. That official will determine, as an exercise of discretion, whether the public interest in disclosure outweighs the damage to the national security that might reasonably be expected from disclosure.

The P and VP have original classification authority and flow that authority down. It isn’t clear to me that the P or VP can force its declassification if agency heads deem it doesn’t serve the public good.

Sec. 1.3. Classification Authority.

(a) The authority to classify information
originally may be exercised only by:

(1) the President and the Vice President;
(2) agency heads and officials designated by the President; and
(3) United States Government officials delegated this authority pursuant to paragraph (c) of this section.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Report This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
Ruth Bader Ginsburg blasts Brett Kavanaugh hearings as 'highly partisan show.' Supreme CourtJustice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Wednesday criticized the Senate hearings for Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh and lamented that the confirmation process had devolved into a “highly partisan show” since she was confirmed in 1993. “The way it was, was right. The way it is, is wrong,” the 85-year-old justice said during a discussion at George Washington University Law School, prompting a round of applause.
She's a hero of the progressives, yet she still disagrees with what has become of the confirmation process.

Justice Kagan has offered similar thoughts:
https://www.usatoday.com/story...-nominee/1303030002/
"There is so much tit-for-tat that goes on in these processes," Kagan said at the University of Chicago. "Everybody has their list of times that they've been wronged. The Republicans have their list and the Democrats have their list."

"It's an unfortunate thing," Kagan said. "Because it makes the world think we are sort of junior varsity politicians. I think that's not the way we think of ourselves, even given the fact that we disagree."

Anyone who cares about this topic should read up on Justice Scalia's views about the judiciary and the confirmation process. The easiest place to find those views, and his thoughts on other topics, is in the book, "Scalia Speaks." It is a collection of speeches he gave during his life. The forward was written by his good friend, Justice Ginsburg.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Report This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
<snip>
ODNI spokesperson Kellie Wade told Fox News: "As requested by the White House, the ODNI is working expeditiously with our interagency partners to conduct a declassification review of the documents the President has identified for declassification."

What’s with this “declassification review”? President Trump just said to declassify and release ‘em.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Ladies and gentlemen, we have ourselves a President with large attachments!!!! Go DJT!!

Posts: 6616 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Report This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it feels like we must be imagining him.

But he's real. Big Grin

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The text messages are expected to take longer because of the sheer number involved and the fact that Trump ordered their release without redactions.

There should be some gems in there.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Let's just see if that actually happens. I doubt there will be a Mafia hit ordered if the documents are NOT surrendered intact.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I'm liking this one. Seems like it might be applied to all sorts of interesting swampy stuff.

Executive Order 13526 - Sec 1.7

"Classification Prohibitions and Limitations. (a) In no case shall information be classified, continue to be maintained as classified, or fail to be declassified in order to:

(1) conceal violations of law, inefficiency, or administrative error;

(2) prevent embarrassment to a person, organization, or agency;

(3) restrain competition; or

(4) prevent or delay the release of information that does not require protection in the interest of the national security."

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/...le3-vol1-eo13526.pdf

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I always thought the media was all for government transaparency and revealing secrets.
Listening to them now, they are reporting it's best for all concerned if everything about this whole sordid affair remains secret.

Incredible.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Report This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are getting so distraught by all this sh*t that we can't even stand to watch the usually staid Special Report on FNC.

It would not surprise me if the public at large gets so fed up by the constant rage and outrage that they will vote for anyone who will promise a return to relative peace and quiet.

That, of course, would be victory for the Democrats, the kid who screams until he turns blue and the parents finally get him the ice cream cone.

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
IMHO, I don't think the documents will be released unless armed US Marshals invade the various offices and physically confiscate all the computers. The PTB have way too much to lose if the truth actually is revealed to the public.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“WASHINGTON (AP) — Christine Blasey Ford wants the FBI to investigate her allegation that she was sexually assaulted by Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh before she testifies at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing next week, her lawyers said in a letter sent Tuesday to the panel…”

https://apnews.com/b3aacc95f5f74cf5a0910415f564329c

Ha! It’s gonna be a long wait bitch. Christine Blasey Ford is now out of it. Bye bye! I hope Judge Kavanaugh hits you with a $5M lawsuit for defamation of character.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
If she's not gonna show ... take the vote already!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24102 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
getting crazy

Pelosi, Schiff, Schumer, and Warner have sent a letter to Coats, Rosenstein, and Wray

They ask an immediate brief to the "gang of eight" prior to any disclosure of the declassified material to the White House.

This is fucking insane.

Republicans need to start fighting these assholes

letter:

https://t.co/x7JDUJd4t0

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
As the primary classification authority, the President has authorization to see ANY documents he wants to, and to declassify them. The Senators don't have a leg to stand on.

flashguy

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
They are all terrified. A lot of spinning and explaining is going to have to be done.

None of this was ever supposed to happen. Hillary was supposed to have won, it was to have been a third Obama term and the deplorable were to have been put down by now.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Sorry Dem bitches. You could have stopped after the first 5 words of your letter because that's all that matters. It's a Presidential order not a request. He has a phone and a pen, elections have consequences and Trump won! You know how it works remember?

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Report This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
Definition of Irony: Commiecrats saying that President Trump's declassification of the documents is an abuse of power. Roll Eyes

Posts: 1921 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Report This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Dems are all about transparency right? Not unless their definition is something akin to trannies being parents or some such nonsense, otherwise it's just another word they hope the masses don't comprehend (no wonder they want to be in control of [il]literacy requirements Wink)

This shitshow is going to come crashing down upon their heads so quickly and I can't wait. If they withhold the info-they are hiding something. If they release the info-everyone will know their true colors.

President Trump is a fucking genius Cool !

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Report This Post