SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year II
Page 1 ... 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 ... 308

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year II Login/Join 
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
NYS is fucked up because of the 11 million assholes occupying 3% of the land area in the State. That 57% of the state’s population fucks it up for the rest of us.

Back to that joke of of governor - he’s so arrogant and thin skinned that he’ll just continue to double down on his remarks. What a shit show.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
And we're off the races:

Greatgate

It was an incredibly foolish thing to say and it's gonna cost him.

“It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently.” Warren Buffett

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
And we're off the races:

Greatgate

For once, Cynthia Nixon got something right: "I think this is just another example of Andrew Cuomo trying to figure out what a progressive sounds like and missing by a mile."

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Report This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
PHEW!

Thank god this is finally resolved!

http://www.startribune.com/the...the-enemy/491041871/

The Senate has unanimously approved a resolution affirming that "the press is not the enemy of the people."

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12325 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
And we're off the races:

Greatgate

It's the Basket of Deplorables, 2018 version!

Posts: 33793 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Still winning Big Grin

China Buckles, Sends Trade Delegation to Washington to Seek End of Trade War.

China and the U.S. are set to resume trade talks for the first time since June.

A meeting between the two countries, which would be between lower-level officials than earlier talks, would mark a breach in the standoff that has arisen since talks broke down in the spring. U.S. officials have repeatedly said they were open to new talks but insisted that China had walked away rather than offer serious reform.

It still is not clear if China’s delegation will carry with it a reform offer serious enough to stave off the Trump administration’s threat of former tariffs. The U.S. side will be lead by Under Secretary of the Treasury for International Affairs David Malpass.

China is sending a trade envoy to Washington in a renewed effort to end a worsening tariff dispute that has raised worries it will chilal global economic growth.

The delegation led by a deputy commerce minister will visit in late August to discuss “issues of mutual concern,” the Commerce Ministry announced Thursday. It gave no details of a possible agenda.

The two governments are poised to impose a new round of tariff hikes on $16 billion of each other’s goods next week in their worsening conflict over Beijing’s technology policy.

The Commerce Ministry said Beijing “reiterates its opposition to unilateralism and trade protectionism and does not accept any unilateral trade restrictions.”

This month’s meeting would be the first between senior U.S. and Chinese officials since June 3 talks in Beijing between Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross and Vice Premier Liu He ended with no settlement.

Following that, Washington imposed its first round of 25 tariffs on $34 billion of Chinese goods on July 6 in response to complains Beijing steals or pressures foreign companies to hand over technology. China responded with similar penalties on American imports.

The Trump administration is due to impose similar increases on an additional $16 billion of Chinese imports on Tuesday. China’s government has issued a list of American goods for retaliation.

https://www.breitbart.com/econ...endstradedelegation/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Report This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
originally posted by JALLEN
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:

I don't know, Jallen.

I think that is just something that the media is trying to push. I don't think that there are too many people who voted for trump that are having second thoughts. His popularity continues to climb.

For example look at the CNN panel discussion of Trump voters. They had to plant a Never-Trumper in the panel to get someone to say that they regretted voting for him.

I know quite a few like I described. They voted for Trump, more as a vote against Hillary. They aren’t Never Trumpers by any stretch, but found his conduct undignified, off putting, and that made them worry, even amidst the surprising positives. They were insecure. Thanks to Hillary’s periodic outbursts, they worry less and less. They did the right thing!

Don’t put credence in CNN panels. I never watch CNN at all.

I'm sure you are correct.

I probably live a sheltered life and my interactions with large groups of people are limited but I don't know anyone who voted for him that regrets it now.

I don't watch CNN either, it was just a video of a broadcast that I saw on YouTube.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I regret not voting Trump earlier, and more often.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I posted this on 17 January 2017, but here it is again.

“I have been looking at tea leaves and sheep entrails, though, and that leads me to predict that within the next year, many, many of President-Elect Trump’s supporters will be complaining about things he’s done or hasn’t done.”

I will also mention an observation I made 18 years ago when our then-sheriff was being recalled: People claim to hate politicians until an elected official doesn’t act like a politician, and then they hate that.

Despite all that, for anyone who now regrets having voted for Trump, here’s the obvious question: What has he done or failed to do that makes you believe the nation would be better off now if Clinton had been elected? Because that’s the alpha and omega of the situation. It was either him or her, and anyone who forgets that in future elections will rue that day.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Andrew Cuomo will never understand.

American Spectator
John Wohlstetter

Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s recent comment — “We’re not going to make America great again; it was never that great” — was a swipe at President Trump’s signature theme. It would have made for a political self-immolation within 24 hours, in yesterday’s America. No politician, in either major party, could have survived such a gaffe. It brings to mind, for those of us of a certain age, Michigan Gov. George Romney, whose bid for the 1968 Republican presidential nomination instantly imploded when he declared that in initially supporting the Vietnam War he had received a “brainwashing.”

Assuredly Cuomo’s father, three-time New York Gov. Mario Cuomo, though staunchly left of center, would never have said anything like this. On one level Cuomo the Younger’s gaffe vividly captures the Democratic Party’s sharp leftward turn since his father’s days in high New York state elective office (Lt. Gov. 1979-82, Gov. 1983-1994). On a deeper level it shows the decline in intellectual acuity from Elder to Younger, in conflating two distinct judgmental standards: perfection versus greatness.

As to the first, Leftists do not really love today’s America; they reserve their affection for the tomorrow’s America they aim to create. Today’s Leftists routinely demonize America as racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, Islamophobic, etc. These are hardly sentiments of love and admiration. These days they pine for final realization of Barack Obama’s call to voters before the 2008 election: “We are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America.” Their America is not Ronald Reagan’s evocation of a free America as John Winthrop’s “shining City upon a Hill”; it is a progressive paradise that would envelop all Americans in a womb-to-tomb welfare state.

Which tees up the second point: America, in this view, cannot be truly great until it achieves a utopian perfection — everyone absolutely equal in all respects, free of societal ills. Those of us not inclined towards utopian goals believe that quest would in real life lead to a dystopian future under the tyranny of an all-powerful state — George Orwell’s “boot stamping on a human face — for ever” nightmare.

Perfection is an unachievable aspiration reachable only upon attaining a higher state of grace. By Leftist reasoning, America is irremediably tainted for not being perfect. Consider the following snapshots of America — none of which, in Leftist eyes, suffice to make America truly great:

Revolutionary America, which created the world’s first true constitutional representative republic, and whose declaration of “self-evident” truths — God-given, unalienable rights — provided people everywhere — from 1989’s Tiananmen Square to the fall of the Berlin Wall — with the world’s first universally recognized vocabulary of human freedom;

Nineteenth Century America, which unleashed in full the first modern economic revolution, and moved Alexis de Tocqueville to salute the free albeit imperfect society thus created;

Civil War America, which risked extinction by partition to forge permanent union and anathematize slavery, and produced the martyred president widely considered America’s greatest;

Twentieth Century America, which led coalitions of the free to defeat the most hideous totalitarian tyrannies the world has yet seen, survived serial economic crises to galvanize an explosion of global prosperity, and launched a peaceful civil rights revolution that was arguably the most remarkably successful exercise to right domestic wrongs in world history.

Twenty-first century America faces myriad challenges domestic and foreign, and struggles to meet them, so as to reverse our recent misfortunes and “make America great again.”

Bottom Line. In sum, a great nation can simultaneously possess great virtues and great flaws. No one suggests that the above transformational successes have vanquished evils once and for all. But a nation less than great could never have met great challenges. If the best is the enemy of the good, the perfect is the enemy of the great.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
And we're off the races:

Greatgate

Nixon had no chance against Cuomo. Perhaps now she does and those two commies split the vote enough to elect Molinaro.

He's not exactly a conservative by the rest of the country's standards, but he's a damn sight better than Cuomo (or Pataki hoped to be). In other words, it's a step in the right direction for that hell-hole.

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
We’re not going to make America great again; it was never that great”

So “ AWNTG”?

This cries out for a progressive, snowflake, voting hat. Pale blue of course.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
when you try to fix humpty dumpty, after a great fall

Andrew Cuomo:

“The expression I used the other day was inartful, so I want to be very clear,” Cuomo told reporters. “Of course America is great and of course America has always been great. No one questions that."

https://www.nationalreview.com...-that-great-comment/

almost no one

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Cuomo has given a new meaning to the word pathetic.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5038 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Report This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Cuomo is trying to walk this back.

“ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — Gov. Andrew Cuomo, running for a third term and a potential candidate for president in 2020, acknowledged Friday that he was “inartful” when he said this week that America “was never that great.” …”

https://apnews.com/6984727a87354c78a618adf4cf04727f

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Good luck with that, fuckstick.

And don't forget, boys and girls, when you shit yourself in public, just refer to it as "inartful".

Karma, fuckstick. Ever heard of it? Did Karl Marx not cover this?

Posts: 107555 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Don't fully understand this, but first impression is that it is even more important that President Trump not sit for a Meuller interview.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/0...r-investigation.html

White House Counsel Has Cooperated Extensively With Mueller’s Obstruction Inquiry

The White House counsel, Donald F. McGahn II, has cooperated extensively in the special counsel investigation, sharing detailed accounts about the episodes at the heart of the inquiry into whether President Trump obstructed justice, including some that investigators would not have learned of otherwise, according to a dozen current and former White House officials and others briefed on the matter.

In at least three voluntary interviews with investigators that totaled 30 hours over the past nine months, Mr. McGahn described the president’s furor toward the Russia investigation and the ways in which he urged Mr. McGahn to respond to it. He provided the investigators examining whether Mr. Trump obstructed justice a clear view of the president’s most intimate moments with his lawyer.

Among them were Mr. Trump’s comments and actions during the firing of the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, and Mr. Trump’s obsession with putting a loyalist in charge of the inquiry, including his repeated urging of Attorney General Jeff Sessions to claim oversight of it. Mr. McGahn was also centrally involved in Mr. Trump’s attempts to fire the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, which investigators might not have discovered without him.

For a lawyer to share so much with investigators scrutinizing his client is unusual. Lawyers are rarely so open with investigators, not only because they are advocating on behalf of their clients but also because their conversations with clients are potentially shielded by attorney-client privilege, and in the case of presidents, executive privilege.

Mr. McGahn’s cooperation began in part as a result of a decision by Mr. Trump’s first team of criminal lawyers to collaborate fully with Mr. Mueller. The president’s lawyers have explained that they believed their client had nothing to hide and that they could bring the investigation to an end quickly.

Mr. McGahn and his lawyer, William A. Burck, could not understand why Mr. Trump was so willing to allow Mr. McGahn to speak freely to the special counsel and feared Mr. Trump was setting up Mr. McGahn to take the blame for any possible illegal acts of obstruction, according to people close to him. So he and Mr. Burck devised their own strategy to do as much as possible to cooperate with Mr. Mueller to demonstrate that Mr. McGahn did nothing wrong.

It is not clear that Mr. Trump appreciates the extent to which Mr. McGahn has cooperated with the special counsel. The president wrongly believed that Mr. McGahn would act as a personal lawyer would for clients and solely defend his interests to investigators, according to a person with knowledge of his thinking.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

adding

President Trump tweets

No Collusion and No Obstruction, except by Crooked Hillary and the Democrats. All of the resignations and corruption, yet heavily conflicted Bob Mueller refuses to even look in that direction. What about the Brennan, Comey, McCabe, Strzok lies to Congress, or Crooked’s Emails!

The Failing New York Times wrote a story that made it seem like the White House Councel had TURNED on the President, when in fact it is just the opposite - & the two Fake reporters knew this. This is why the Fake News Media has become the Enemy of the People. So bad for America!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Mueller's "investigation" is illegitimate; therefore any requests made by it are illegitimate.

The only correct answer is "we'll see you in court".

Wouldn't it be amazing of we had a Justice Department instead of a "Just-Us" department?