SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year II
Page 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... 308

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year II Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Who choses the Majority Leader?

The Senators of his party, not Trump.

He has to find a way to make 51 Senators do the work of 60.

Even if McConnell was the smoothest, most persuasive fellow in history, he would have a hard time against Schumer. Schumer has 49 Senators to do the work of 40, and they are highly motivated to resist Trump.

I remember when many Senators voted their regional interest, no matter what the party wanted. Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana Senators voted for the energy needs, the Carolinas watched out for tobacco, the plains had the farm interests, southerners voted against civil rights, no matter what the party wanted.

No more. Party line votes are almost required. Nose counting is a fine art, so if they have some wiggle room, a Senator who has a problem can “vote his conscience” on a bill without ruining the party desired outcome. All too often.

Let’s put ~60 Senators in McConnell’s corner and see what a genius he turns out to be.

Please tell us what McConnell has FOUGHT for that is in the best interest of conservatives. I mean actually FOUGHT for. If it weren't for Trump, he would not have pushed a tax break. No, McConnell goes along to get along. Give him 60 Senators and he would still be a weakling.

McConnell is a swamp creature, same as McCain, Flake, etc. He was an anti-Trumper from day one. Imagine how different Trump's support might have been if McConnell had vigorously supported him once he received the nomination.

The same is true of Sessions. Sessions caved to the Dems in recusing himself. If he'd had the stones to push back, he would have been confirmed anyway. We had the numbers. But Sessions is weak. They both are. Sessions is still Trump's biggest mistake. His legacy will be missed opportunities to drain the swamp because of his weakness.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
The problem is the democrats play to win.

And they play the long game. We get pissed and throw up our hands every election cycle.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Will you guys please cut it out? Will you PLEASE stop making the dems out to be some kind of super-savvy authorities on everything in the Goddamned world?

Just stop with the platitudes and the myths. Who do you think wants to read that nonsense? Enough with making these people out to be the smartest, most savvy people on the planet. It is SO VERY FAR from true. Damn.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107553 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Will you guys please cut it out? Will you PLEASE stop making the dems out to be some kind of super-savvy authorities on everything in the Goddamned world?

Just stop with the platitudes and the myths. Who do you think wants to read that nonsense? Enough with making these people out to be the smartest, most savvy people on the planet. It is SO VERY FAR from true. Damn.

It's not that we think they're smart or savvy people, it's that they play hardball while the RINO's play badminton.

My personal point of view is that Trump exposed the uniparty. I denounced my republican affiliation when Ryan "gave it all away" in December of 2015 when I realized they are spineless frauds who won't get anything done.

Trump is trying to get things done and it's clear to me that both parties are trying to keep him from being productive and embarrassing the establishment elites. McConnell could move things along if he wanted, but he just wants to make excuses and show Trump "That's just the way things work around here."

The day of being gentlemen are gone in politics. The republicans play gentlemen and take the high road while dems take advantage and cheat, lie, steal and go nuclear when they have the power to get their agenda done. I'm tired of NATO republicans (No Action, Talk Only) disappointing me.

I truly believe the RINOs want to give power back to the dems so they can go back to having an excuse why they can't get things done as well as impeach Trump so things can go back to the way they were.

I can't remember who said it, but it bears repeating; "If this is what Trump can get done with both parties obstructing him, just imagine what he could do if he had the support of his party."

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm sick of reading of the fear of these ASSHOLES and I am sick of reading the GREAT AND SAVVY THINGS that these BRILLIANT TACTICIANS have done and are doing.

I have had ENOUGH of it. Fed up to the gills with that shit.

If any of you feel the need to cower in awe of these BRILLIANT people, then do it ELSEWHERE and not in this forum.

It's simply not true, and for you guys to express fear of these HALFWITS makes me want to puke.

Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I truly believe the RINOs want to give power back to the dems so they can go back to having an excuse why they can't get things done as well as impeach Trump so things can go back to the way they were.

I think that is right. RINOs and the Democrats are one and the same. The Uniparty. The easiest way for the RINOs to play their role of make-believe opposition is if they are the minority party. Then they have an obvious excuse for why the Democrats consistently get their way. Shucks, we are just outnumbered and can't stop them. When the Republicans are in the majority, it gets much harder to play the role of pretend opposition. They need at that point to turn against Trump himself, and try to portray his agenda as extreme, racist, bigoted.

The idea that McConnell is the best we can hope for is absurd. That was the kind of thing we heard when Bush was president-- that with all his weakness and flaws, he was the best we could get. Trump came along and showed how emphatically wrong that was. McConnell could be replaced by the same kind of actual fighter. And such a fighter would whoop Democrat butt, just as Trump does.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
What is fighting in this context?

You get together woth the others, argue back and forth, size up the advantages and disadvantages. In some cases, one side can convince the other, or some others, or there are institutional considerations one way or the other, but eventually, it comes to a vote.

On many of these questions, voting agsinst party is political suicide. On some, dynamics in a particular state mandate a Senator’s position, no mattervwhat the arguments. Other times, the vote reflects the Senator’s sincerely held views, not susceptible to persuasion.

A majority leader has very few tools to coerce his fellows, and these have to be used with caution.

Lyndon Johnson was famous for persuasion, the “Johnson treatment.” It turned out he wasn’t all THAT persuasive, but he controlled a great deal of campaign cash, and knew the dirty little secrets on each member, if any there were. It really wasn’t a fair “fight.”

Most of the criticisms of McConnell have not been substantive, or procedural, that he isn’t using the resources available to him, but that he is a fool, a jerk, a miserable prick, or other failings of personality or character or ancestry. This reflects the critics’ emotional unhappiness, not well thought out policy differences or choices.

Indeed, I don’t think there is a single instance where McConnell could have achieved a different, better result but deliberately chose to not do so.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t think there is a single instance where McConnell could have achieved a different, better result but deliberately chose to not do so.

I believe it's McConnell we owe for having Gorsuch on the Supreme Court as he did not allow a vote on Merritt Garland prior to the election.

Posts: 18052 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Indeed, I don’t think there is a single instance where McConnell could have achieved a different, better result but deliberately chose to not do so.

What about all those Trump appointees that are being held up in the Senate? McConnell could move those along IF he wanted to.

The Merritt Garland issue is a valid point, but where is McConnell in championing the issues that got Trump elected? You know, the will of the American people? McConnell does have a bully pulpit, as does Schumer. Even though he is a liar and a cheat, Schumer pounds his pulpit every day on TV to push his agenda with great passion. McConnell has shown no passion, other than in his opposition to Trump.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Good grief, this guy is what, 11 years old? Damn.Watch the clip. Listen to this imbecile.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Hey Chucky!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Listen to his tone change as the interview progesses. This is shameful, uprofessional behavior, to say the least.

Chuck Todd needs to have the ever loving shit slapped out of him. Smarmy fucking fraud

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
quote:

What about all those Trump appointees that are being held up in the Senate? McConnell could move those along IF he wanted to.

The Merritt Garland issue is a valid point, but where is McConnell in championing the issues that got Trump elected? You know, the will of the American people? McConnell does have a bully pulpit, as does Schumer. Even though he is a liar and a cheat, Schumer pounds his pulpit every day on TV to push his agenda with great passion. McConnell has shown no passion, other than in his opposition to Trump.

Nonsense. He isn’t opposed to Trump. His wife is a Cabinet officer, and he has tried within the limits to advance the bills and nominees as best he could, given the rules and the make up of the Senate.

Take repeal of Obamacare. There aren’t 60 votes, no matter how you slice it, unless one is willing to kill the rules. So far, Senators are not willing to do so. As we have seen, those cut both ways, eventually. Short term advantages turn into long term disasters, more often than not. Ask Harry and Joe how their strategeries have worked out so far!

I comsider it presumptuous in the extreme to bitterly criticise someome who has served well enough to be returned time and again, to have risen to lead his fellow Senators, retained the confidence of several administrations, by those who have little understanding or knowledge of the dynamics of Congress and Senate policies.

Disappointment, maybe, but to suggest some of the attributes commonly seen here is unjustified and reflects very poorly on the critics.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
quote:

Nonsense. He isn’t opposed to Trump. His wife is a Cabinet officer, and he has tried within the limits to advance the bills and nominees as best he could, given the rules and the make up of the Senate.

Take repeal of Obamacare. There aren’t 60 votes, no matter how you slice it, unless one is willing to kill the rules. So far, Senators are not willing to do so. As we have seen, those cut both ways, eventually. Short term advantages turn into long term disasters, more often than not. Ask Harry and Joe how their strategeries have worked out so far!

I comsider it presumptuous in the extreme to bitterly criticise someome who has served well enough to be returned time and again, to have risen to lead his fellow Senators, retained the confidence of several administrations, by those who have little understanding or knowledge of the dynamics of Congress and Senate policies.

Disappointment, maybe, but to suggest some of the attributes commonly seen here is unjustified and reflects very poorly on the critics.
Yep. Give him 65 solid conservative Republicans and he'll get a lot more done.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

I believe it's McConnell we owe for having Gorsuch on the Supreme Court as he did not allow a vote on Merritt Garland prior to the election.

+1000

In the face of enormous pressure, he stood firm. We got a Justice worthy of Scalia’s seat.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Nonsense. He isn’t opposed to Trump.

Nonsense. He bitterly opposed Trump throughout the election cycle. He tried to keep him from getting elected, then tried to keep him from being successful after the election.

Trump offered his wife a job to buy some goodwill, but it has been thin.

Further, he contributed to a Dem taking the Alabama seat. Money for ads trying to destroy Roy Moore was traced back to his camp.

He is grudgingly going along with Trump right now because Trump has the momentum, regardless of what the polls say. Show me one instance of him championing Trump's agenda.

And you still haven't answered the question about him sandbagging Trump's judicial appointments.

Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
so, if true, this should lead to McMaster hitting the bricks, along with the two Albanian-Kosovoan brothers... (I thought that retired CIA dude killed off all of those assholes in Taken, but two seemed to have been hired by Obama, and now work for McMaster at the NSC...)

SARA CARTER: Mystery Leaker Of Trump-Putin Phone Call Could Be In World Of Trouble

The White House official behind the leak detailing a memo written for President Trump urging him not to congratulate Russia’s President Vladimir Putin on winning re-election could face criminal charges, Sara Carter reports.

Sara Carter reports: This was the specific warning President Trump’s national security advisors allegedly put in his notecards Tuesday before he called Russian President Vladimir Putin to congratulate him on a reelection that has been scrutinized throughout the world, according to sources who spoke to The Washington Post. […]

Trump, along with other senior White House staff, believe it was an inside leak and suspect it was coming from National Security Council staff, sources with knowledge stated. […]

White House officials will investigate the leaks and a senior White House Official told this reporter in a statement, “If this story is accurate, that means someone leaked the President’s briefing papers. Leaking such information is a fireable offense and likely illegal.”

GOP insider Arthur Schwartz fingered National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster and aides Ylli and Ylber Bajraktari as the potential leakers.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.co...in-world-of-trouble/

And for those scratching their heads and asking "what in the hell is a Ylli or Ylber Bajraktari?"

McMaster brings top Obama admin officials into NSC, sources say

Posted September 1, 2017 by Jordan Schachtel

National security adviser H.R. McMaster has quietly pulled in high-ranking officials from the Obama administration into senior positions on his staff, current and former administration officials told Conservative Review.

In recent months, McMaster has hired influential members of the Obama Pentagon. One of these individuals was assigned to boost the Iran nuclear deal with Tehran, while the other became a trusted aide to former defense chief Ash Carter.

The recent hires are Ylli and Ylber Bajraktari, Albanian-Kosovan brothers who elevated to the top of government in the Obama administration.

A 2016 Medium profile of the brothers describes the major influence they have had in crafting policies for the previous administration.

“I have never heard of a story of two brothers playing such a critical behind-the-scenes role at the Pentagon,” Carl Woog, a senior Obama NSC adviser, commented to Partnership for Public Service.

“Ylber travels with [Sec. Carter] to international destinations and attends all his Pentagon meetings on foreign policy matters,” the article said.

At the time, Ylber (pronounced ill-BEAR) was deputy chief of staff to Secretary of Defense Carter, where he helped develop the Obama administration’s foreign policy, focusing on Iran and Iraq. Ylber also worked on the administration’s highly controversial nuclear deal with the Tehran regime.

https://www.conservativereview...nto-nsc-sources-say/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
FBI Dir Wray gave an interview to NBC. He was asked about the McCabe firing. Wray would not go into details, but he said all FBI personnel and discipline decisions are made without political or partisan inputs.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politi...bi-don-t-mix-n858611

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Difference between Hillary and Putin?

Putin can win a rigged election.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Nonsense. He isn’t opposed to Trump.

Nonsense. He bitterly opposed Trump throughout the election cycle. He tried to keep him from getting elected, then tried to keep him from being successful after the election.

Trump offered his wife a job to buy some goodwill, but it has been thin.

Further, he contributed to a Dem taking the Alabama seat. Money for ads trying to destroy Roy Moore was traced back to his camp.

He is grudgingly going along with Trump right now because Trump has the momentum, regardless of what the polls say. Show me one instance of him championing Trump's agenda.

And you still haven't answered the question about him sandbagging Trump's judicial appointments.

Why do you claim he is sandbagging? More have been confirmed than in any prior administration so far. I bet more could be confirmed if they would stop writing letters to the DOJ demanding special counsels, not that I disapprove of that, mind you, but there are quite a few distractions.

The claim on nominations has been that it takes longer, more documentation required, more background checks, more questions about finances etc. past articles. Grassley is on top of the blue slip nonsense, but there is still the matter of holds and the games that allows.

You might say, change the rules, but that is a dangerous game. I don’t know your background, but why is your judgment better than the 50 Senators, who could collectively persuade McConnell to change the rules if they thought it was for the good?

The processes are in place usually for solid reasons. Look at the district court nominee who was rejected a month or so ago. How did he sneak in there? We’re lucky nobody is using the rubber stamp.

The most dangerous path is to insist that since Trump won, (he saved us from Hillary, after all!) has some good ideas, just do everything he wants and be quick about it.