SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year II
Page 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... 308

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year II Login/Join 
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Joe DiGenova 3-19-18 Possibly the last segment since he now has a job.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
In Missouri, Republican Josh Hawley has declared his candidacy for the REP nomination for the 2018 Missouri senate seat. Hawley is the current AG of Missouri.

DEM Claire McCaskill is the current senator who will be running for reelection in Nov 2018.

Hawley put up this ad to use Clinton's India rant against McCaskill.

https://youtu.be/QZuAsNXe0ac

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...rump-voters-n2462516

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^Nice!

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Report This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

Hawley put up this ad to use Clinton's India rant against McCaskill.

Hillary is the gift that keeps on giving....

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Mitch McConnell needs to solve this problem:

http://www.powerlineblog.com/a...is-unprecedented.php

On Friday Marc Short, the administration’s Director of Legislative Affairs, joined Sarah Sanders at a White House press briefing. He laid out the facts regarding the Democrats’ unprecedented obstructionism:

The Senate, obviously, has the constitutional responsibility for advice and consent. So what that looks like in real life is the President selects a nominee, they then undergo an entire FBI background check, they work with the Office of Government Ethics to de-conflict financial issues — and that’s a process that takes a good amount of time, a good amount of resources.

Only then, after cleared through an FBI background check and the Office of Government Ethics, is a nominee submitted to the United States Senate. When they get to the Senate, they go through several additional evaluations, including meetings with staff, meetings with the members on both sides of the aisle. The nominee then undergoes a hearing and the committee then votes on the nominee to get out of that committee.

At that point, the nominee moves to the Senate floor for full confirmation. Traditionally, the Senate routinely confirms the administration’s nominees once out of committee. It is there to respect the will of the American people and the election for an administration to fill out its roles under a new President. Instead, what Senator Schumer has done is to require cloture votes to essentially slow down the process and to obstruct.

At this point, in the past four administrations combined — the last four administrations — the Senate had conducted 17 cloture votes combined; cloture vote, in essence, being a filibuster on a nominee. Seventeen cloture votes in the last four administrations combined, at this point.

Today, the Senate has had 79 cloture votes in the first 14 months of our administration.

Seventeen, over the last four administrations, versus seventy-nine in the first 14 months of our administration. That is roughly five times the number of the last four administrations combined.

If a cloture vote is demanded (i.e., the Democrats filibuster), under Senate rules there must be 30 hours of debate. Which means that the Senate grinds to a halt

Senator Schumer is essentially weaponizing a Senate procedure and demanding cloture votes on our nominees that he even eventually supports. Eleven of the President’s nominees have been approved without a single dissenting vote, yet still forced to go through a 30-hours of debate to essentially slow down the Senate calendar simply for the purpose of obstruction. Even Senate Democrats have begun to call this out and to say it is getting to the point of ridiculous.

At this rate, the United States Senate would take eleven and a half years to confirm our nominees. Eleven and a half years to confirm our nominees.

Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Mitch McConnell needs to solve this problem:

No, he needs to WANT to solve this problem. Old turtle head is a real swamp creature.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Report This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mitch McConnell needs to solve this problem: GO!

FIFY

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Mitch McConnell IS the problem.

Posts: 519 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Report This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
No, he needs to WANT to solve this problem. Old turtle head is a real swamp creature.

Yes, he is a swamp creature.

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
So if McConnell steps to the microphone tomorrow and says, “The bitchers and moaners in SigForum are right, so I am stepping down as majority leader. I hope we can all support the new guy.”

What does new new guy do? The same cats to herd on his side, the same God Damned Commies in the same seats on the other side.

What does he do to start getting things your way?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Asks Harry Reid how to cheat, lie, and play hard ball?

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
The bitchers and moaners in SigForum

I guess I am one. So, if I, and others here, are pissed at the RINOs who constantly undermine President Trump and the agenda that propelled him to the presidency-- we're "bitchers and moaners"?

I don't even know where to begin.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
The Republican's need to pull their heads outta their asses soon, or they very well might get beaten badly in November. I certainly freaking hope not, but damn, they are not living up to their promises.

Posts: 5199 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
What would a new majority leader do? No idea. But I'm willing to try. When the person in charge can't get the job done, he cannot be in charge anymore. That's how the real world works.

What is the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? Time for Mitch to let someone else take on the Schumer.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Who choses the Majority Leader?

The Senators of his party, not Trump.

He has to find a way to make 51 Senators do the work of 60.

Even if McConnell was the smoothest, most persuasive fellow in history, he would have a hard time against Schumer. Schumer has 49 Senators to do the work of 40, and they are highly motivated to resist Trump.

I remember when many Senators voted their regional interest, no matter what the party wanted. Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana Senators voted for the energy needs, the Carolinas watched out for tobacco, the plains had the farm interests, southerners voted against civil rights, no matter what the party wanted.

No more. Party line votes are almost required. Nose counting is a fine art, so if they have some wiggle room, a Senator who has a problem can “vote his conscience” on a bill without ruining the party desired outcome. All too often.

Let’s put ~60 Senators in McConnell’s corner and see what a genius he turns out to be.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Change the fucking rules and go nuclear!

If the republicans do not do it, the dems will as soon as they regain power.

Fuck the 60 vote rule, for everything.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I would think the 30 hours of debate should be dramatically reduced, given that the DEMs are obviously abusing it. Make it 4 hours.

Also McConnell should push to keep the senate working as much as possible. If the DEMs are just plain being obstructionists, as they are, then give them a few 7 days a week sessions.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
make it 30 minutes and call a vote

you can have your 30 hours

it starts at midnight and ends at 6AM the next day

talk, don't talk

you got your 30 hours

next

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
The problem is the democrats play to win. The republicans don't even understand the game. (Or they agree with the democrats, which is more likely).

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
I remember when many Senators voted their regional interest, no matter what the party wanted. Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana Senators voted for the energy needs, the Carolinas watched out for tobacco, the plains had the farm interests, southerners voted against civil rights, no matter what the party wanted.

You were alive before the 17th was ratified? Wink

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Report This Post