SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year II
Page 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... 308

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year II Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by TAllen01:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
WalMart decided to join in the hysteria. No more gun or ammo sales to anyone under 21 and no sale of anything (airsoft or toys) that even look like an 'assault rifle' Roll Eyes

Isn't this age discrimination by a corporation?

Not legally. Discrimination laws protect historically disadvantaged groups. In age cases, the statute applies to those over 40.

Just compare it to drinking laws or smoking laws--those are permissible situations where you make distinctions based on age, without it being "discrimination."

Yeah, but those are laws passed by the state. There is no law in this case prohibiting the sale to those under 21 (depending on the store's location). The store is the one deciding that those under 21 aren't worthy.

That doesn't matter from an age discrimination standpoint. People are protected from only from certain types of discrimination. This is not one of those situations. Like paying more for car insurance if you are under 25. Yes, younger people are treated differently, but there is no law against people simply being treated differently. (Except in certain limited circumstances, and buying guns or alcohol or cigarettes is not one of them.)

And to that, I would come back that driving a car isn't a right. The right to "bear arms" however is. How can a store deny a constitutional protected right simply because I happen to be below a certain age arbitrarily chosen by them?

Simple: because the constitution contains no specific age limits on the right to bear arms. Reasonable limits are therefore read into its language. Your position, taken to its extreme, is that everyone, at every age, has the right to buy any arm they want, at any time, including surface-to-air missiles, grenades, small nuclear devices, tanks, etc. It would also mean that the mentally ill can't be restricted from buying guns, felons could buy guns, five year olds could buy guns, and no state or federal entity can infringe on that right in any manner.

It is similar to the First Amendment, if that is easier to understand. The constitution gives everyone the right to free speech. But you just can't go yelling fire in a crowded theater, putting patently obscene material on a billboard for all to see, or conduct a fully expressive dance naked on your sidewalk in the daytime (dancing can be expressive conduct, and therefore speech). Some limits are implied. In the case of the First Amendment, the constitution says nothing about time, place, or manner restrictions, but the courts have held that reasonable time, place and manner restrictions are permissible. Hope this helps.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Please don't nest any more quotes. This is a long thread and going to get longer, so let's not clutter it up, please.

You can respond without all that baggage attached.

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry. My apologies.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

I wonder if President Trump knew this letter was coming out when he recently tweeted about AG Sessions ?

Note the letter was not sent to Rosenstein, it went to Sessions, w copies to DOJ IG and FBI Dir.

Rosenstein wasn't even copied.

The attachment to the body of the letter is the Nunes memo of 2 Feb 2018. There is a link to it on page 44 of this thread in a post by S600MBUSA

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Simple: because the constitution contains no specific age limits on the right to bear arms. Reasonable limits are therefore read into its language. Your position, taken to its extreme, is that everyone, at every age, has the right to buy any arm they want, at any time, including surface-to-air missiles, grenades, small nuclear devices, tanks, etc. It would also mean that the mentally ill can't be restricted from buying guns, felons could buy guns, five year olds could buy guns, and no state or federal entity can infringe on that right in any manner.

Sigh. Man, I am talking about laws that are on the books. You're way off on a tangent. Surface to air missiles? What? It is currently legal for an 18 year old to buy a rifle. Stick with that. The limits you described apply to everyone. In the case of a store not being able to sell a handgun to someone under 21, that is a law. It's not a company deciding on its own to discriminate wholesale on a certain age group and deny a natural right that they are otherwise legal to exercise. Get my drift yet?

I understand age isn't necessarily something someone can claim discrimination for, but I just thought that this made an interesting case. I'm not trying to win an argument here. I'm just trying to get a sense as to how this should be acceptable. The arguments you're making don't address that.

quote:

It is similar to the First Amendment, if that is easier to understand. The constitution gives everyone the right to free speech. But you just can't go yelling fire in a crowded theater...

Ugh. Once again. This applies to everyone. And it's established law.

I won't further clutter up this thread on this topic since it feels like we're drifting too far off.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30406 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
This is gotten very old.

Either pull out what you have on Carter Page and arrest him or start hand cuffing FBI and DOJ employees.

Way way past time to bring back law and order.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The FBI has done the country a tremendous disservice by not pointing and acknowledging the holes in the dossier. This has allowed people like Schiff to keep saying the dossier has been verified. It allows Andrew McCabe to testify that he thinks the dossier is true.

Take just one example. The dossier says Trump lawyer Michael Cohen traveled to Prague in the last week of Aug/first week of Sept 2016 to pay off hackers who attacked the DNC and tie up loose ends.

This would make Cohen a Russian agent just like the FBI had to claim Carter Page was a Russian agent. And yet, Cohen has remained a direct aide to the President of the United States for over a year after this "information" came out.

Would the FBI have left a Russian agent close to the president for a year ? Plus Cohen's passport showed no travel to Prague, and he identified where he was during the period in question.

Yet the FBI has continued to avoid publicly denouncing even some of the most blatant lies of the dossier. They have let the country tear itself apart.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the biggest domestic enemy we have is the FBI and the DOJ

we are at less risk from Al Qaeda than we are from the treasonous behavior exhibited by these two agencies.

with ISIS and AQ, we knew who the enemy was - the FBI is far more insidious as they pretend to be us

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5736 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is similar to the First Amendment, if that is easier to understand. The constitution gives everyone the right to free speech. But you just can't go yelling fire in a crowded theater...
Wrong and wrong. The Constitution recognizes the god given right of free speech every American has at birth. Government has nothing to do with giving/granting anything regarding it. Government is specifically charged with 'protecting' the God given rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights/Constitution.

As to yelling fire in a theater, I hate that argument. Is someone going to leap from their seat and stop you from yelling 'fire' or anything else? Of course they aren't. You are free to yell anything you like. Now after the fact, if anyone is injured, or damage to the theater results as an outcome to your freedom of speech, law enforcement may have grounds to arrest you and/or the theater may have grounds to sue you. That's referred to as personal responsibility for one's behavior after the fact.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
the biggest domestic enemy we have is the FBI and the DOJ

we are at less risk from Al Qaeda than we are from the treasonous behavior exhibited by these two agencies.

with ISIS and AQ, we knew who the enemy was - the FBI is far more insidious as they pretend to be us

Unfortunately you are right.

But, but, but the rank and file men and women of the FBI are good patriotic blah, blah, blah. These people, if they exist, need to clean house and help get rid of their treasonist leaders. At a minimum, gut the FBI from the top down to the heads at the field offices and then begin to rebuild.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Report This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
As to yelling fire in a theater, I hate that argument. Is someone going to leap from their seat and stop you from yelling 'fire' or anything else? Of course they aren't. You are free to yell anything you like. Now after the fact, if anyone is injured, or damage to the theater results as an outcome to your freedom of speech, law enforcement may have grounds to arrest you and/or the theater may have grounds to sue you. That's referred to as personal responsibility for one's behavior after the fact.

Also, you may not discharge a firearm in a crowded theater, unless you're in mortal danger, you know, like if the theater was on fire and you needed to yell something...

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Take just one example:
Fake News- The dossier says Trump lawyer Michael Cohen traveled to Prague in the last week of Aug/first week of Sept 2016.

Truth- Cohen's passport showed no travel to Prague, and he identified where he was during the period in question.

I've read too many articles to identify which one the Why came from but it was a recent Link in this thread.

Why- This is the result of one of those broad ? 702, FISA warrant or whatever searches and subsequent Un-maskings. Some guy named Michael Cohen actually went to Prague during that timeframe just not the person in question. The gist was- There's no way the dossier would have that information without an abuse of power.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I don't know if true, but here is an article about a potential rope a dope Trump may be pulling about gun control.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...n-control-rope-dope/

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
I don't know if true, but here is an article about a potential rope a dope Trump may be pulling about gun control.

A mountain of people think he is going to sell gun-owners down the river. I think he just might be rope-a-doping.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
quote:

A mountain of people think he is going to sell gun-owners down the river. I think he just might be rope-a-doping.
Better be rope-a-doping or I see him as a one termer at best.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
You can send a message to the President:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/

posted Hide Post
We have the House, the Senate, and the White House. Granted, we still need a few Dem votes. But why all the Rope a Dope? Just do it.

Why did he have to bitch slap Steve Scalise on reciprocity? The one guy in the room who knows what it’s like to lay dying while waiting for help.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
quote:

Oh I agree, I'm nervous but not as nervous as many, many people out there.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Just stow the shit. You have no faith, so just sit back and watch. If you want to start issuing empty threats, take it to some other board.

Have you guys learned nothing watching President trump?

If you guys want to see a pissed-off admin, just keep up with this kind of crap.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post