SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year II
Page 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 308

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year II Login/Join 
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:
The indictment says that the goal or the entities and people indicted was to support now-President Trump's campaign and to hurt Democrat Hillary Clinton's, and that some defendants while posing as U.S. people communicated with "unwitting individuals associated with the Trump Campaign and with other political activists to seek to coordinate political activities."

Bingo.

Link

I think this is a way for Mueller to save face, get some indictments, but have reason to close his investigation before the rest of his friends at DOJ and FBI get caught up in illegal activity.

These days, "Russians" are about like "Nazis" - an entity that can be demonized ad nauseam in the press with little fear of a political-correctness backlash.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
How confusing.

The Russians went to all this trouble to elect Donald Trump, while they simultaneously supplied Christopher Steele with wild accusations that were intended to defeat Donald Trump.

How does Mueller pursue these indictments and then swing back to prosecute on the basis of the dossier ?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:
The indictment says that the goal or the entities and people indicted was to support now-President Trump's campaign and to hurt Democrat Hillary Clinton's, and that some defendants while posing as U.S. people communicated with "unwitting individuals associated with the Trump Campaign and with other political activists to seek to coordinate political activities."

Bingo.

Link

I think this is a way for Mueller to save face, get some indictments, but have reason to close his investigation before the rest of his friends at DOJ and FBI get caught up in illegal activity.

These days, "Russians" are about like "Nazis" - an entity that can be demonized ad nauseam in the press with little fear of a political-correctness backlash.

Hopefully.

Mueller can squeek out with his rep somewhat intact (at large, not with conservatives of course) and the issues with the corrupt cronies he appointed pre-date his goat rope and are on them.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
How confusing.

The Russians went to all this trouble to elect Donald Trump, while they simultaneously supplied Christopher Steele with wild accusations that were intended to defeat Donald Trump.

How does Mueller pursue these indictments and then swing back to prosecute on the basis of the dossier ?

Those Ruskie defendants are all in Russia, will never set foot in a US courtroom and this indictment will not result in convictions, very likely.

The dossier is completely different set of actors, facts, etc. How are they incompatible?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
quote:
How are they incompatible?

The Russian social media effort is described as trying to elect Donald Trump.

Kremlin sources (literally simultaneously) provide Steele w so called outrageous "intelligence" to defeat Donald Trump.

Now you could argue that the Russian sources who

- described blackmail tapes on Trump,
- Lawyer Cohen plotting directly with Russians to cover their "collusion", and
- Carter Page negotiating huge deals in exchange for decisions benefitting the Russians,

- that those same Russian sources had no idea their information would be fed back to Christopher Steele to be used as opposition research. I don't believe that for a minute.

That of course assumes the dossier wasn't significantly or completely fabricated by Glenn Simpson, Nellie Ohr and Christopher Steele.

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
If it is true that the "Russians" indicted are in Russia and likely never to actually be brought to trial, then mueller can close up his witch hunt as a "success" put all those nice taxpayer dollars in his bank account and go home.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
If it is true that the "Russians" indicted are in Russia and likely never to actually be brought to trial, then mueller can close up his witch hunt as a "success" put all those nice taxpayer dollars in his bank account and go home.

NSFW (language)
https://youtu.be/IAQfglRyPlM?t=7s

It's appropriate 'cause it involves (shhhhh...) Russians!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Report This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post

Based on this there should be thousands of indictments naming BLM and Antifa.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Kremlin sources (literally simultaneously) provide Steele w so called outrageous "intelligence" to defeat Donald Trump.

- Carter Page negotiating huge deals in exchange for decisions benefitting the Russians,

- that those same Russian sources had no idea their information would be fed back to Christopher Steele to be used as opposition research. I don't believe that for a minute.

That of course assumes the dossier wasn't significantly or completely fabricated by Glenn Simpson, Nellie Ohr and Christopher Steele.

Described by who? The Ruskies?

Who can say what these guys were trying to do, really. Maybe just spread hate and discontent, mistrust, disgust in the electorate.

Both this op and the dossier op could co-exist in a variety of scenarios, it seems to me.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Chaffetz on DOJ's Indictment of 13 Russians: 'Mitt Romney Was Right in 2012'

http://insider.foxnews.com/201...omney-was-right-2012

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
quote:

Described by who? The Ruskies?

Who can say what these guys were trying to do, really. Maybe just spread hate and discontent, mistrust, disgust in the electorate.

Both this op and the dossier op could co-exist in a variety of scenarios, it seems to me.

Concur.

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Your argument assumes that these Russian sources actually exist, were coordinated with a broader group of Russians working to the same ends and that their goal was to elect Trump. It's entirely possible ( as you yourself pointed out) that most of the shit in the dossier was made up out of thin air by Hillary's minions and fed back through Steele to be given to the FBI.

If there were actual Russians involved it could be that they simply wanted to create chaos in the election and sully both candidates in order to increase animosity among a divided electorate. Have you noticed the vitriol spewed by both sides? Half the country hates the other half and the feeling is mutual. I am sure our enemies recognize this powder keg as the best chance they will ever have of seeing the US fall.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Report This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
quote:
quote:

Your argument assumes that these Russian sources actually exist, were coordinated with a broader group of Russians working to the same ends and that their goal was to elect Trump. It's entirely possible ( as you yourself pointed out) that most of the shit in the dossier was made up out of thin air by Hillary's minions and fed back through Steele to be given to the FBI.

If there were actual Russians involved it could be that they simply wanted to create chaos in the election and sully both candidates in order to increase animosity among a divided electorate. Have you noticed the vitriol spewed by both sides? Half the country hates the other half and the feeling is mutual. I am sure our enemies recognize this powder keg as the best chance they will ever have of seeing the US fall.

Unless the Russians possessed much more precise polling information, it is hard to imagine that they expected a Trump victory if they just pushed a little. Nobody including the Russian intelligence expected a Trump win. They were simply trying to discredit the process.
Of course you very rightly point out that the polarisation of the electorate and the witch hunt mentalities that have evolved serve them very well. The irony is that it is CNN and the rest of the MSM that continue to reinforce these divisions, and do everything they can to generate animosity. Who exactly is working for the Russians?

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Mueller is worried about this:

Remember the Chicago Trump rally that had to be canceled because of violent large anti-Trump crowds?

And the subsequent Okeefe videos that showed those violent demonstrators were organized by the Clinton dirt tricks team ?

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.1aa3e3cc997d

after Okeefe's “Rigging the Election” came out,

Scott Foval was laid off by Americans United for Change, where he had been national field director;

Robert Creamer resigned from work he was doing or the unified Democratic campaign for Hillary Clinton.

the video of Foval, a Wisconsin-based politico with a long résumé, had him bragging about a litany of political dirty tricks

Foval boasts of “conflict engagement in the lines of Trump rallies,” takes credit for the violence that canceled a Trump rally at the University of Illinois at Chicago, admits he has paid “mentally ill” people to start trouble and says there's a “Pony Express” that keeps Democratic operatives in touch, regardless of whether they work for super PACs or the campaigns not permitted to coordinate with super PACs

diff topic
re the Russian indictments:

posted Hide Post
I sure hope that no one believes that Russia's effort is the non plus ultra. It is only a stepping stone towards the ultimate goal of destabilisation.

They have discovered Niagara Falls. That if something is presented in a fairly reasonable manner, people will eat it hook, line, and sinker. Heck, even those not presented in a fairly reasonable manner. The power of gullibility. Which is more comfortable and convenient than critical thinking. Just lather, rinse, repeat.

Btw, did you know that Oprah is waiting to hear from God?

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Report This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The thing that surprises me most is that some people think stuff like this hasn't always gone on, by all sides.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Mueller knows he needs to drag this out as long as possible because as soon as he shuts it down, he likely becomes a target in the next special prosecutors investigation.

as long as he is 'looking' into Trump, The President can't do much to him without looking like he's trying to exert influence.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
If foreign meddling in the election is a concern there should be an investigation into it. Mueller isn't tasked with that.

How many other countries tried to meddle in the election? How many Americans tried to meddle with the election.

It's like these people have never been on the internet. Someone should ask them if they have anti-virus software and spam filters on their PC's. If so why would you be surprised someone tried to hack the election? They try to hack everything else.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
quote:
The thing that surprises me most is that some people think stuff like this hasn't always gone on, by all sides.

It is amazing to me as well. The US government and many other "parties" have meddled in elections of all sorts for as long as such things have existed. If "meddling" in an election is a crime, we would need to jail or hang every politician, foundation board member and "special interest" lobbyist on the planet. Hum....

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 671 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Report This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leavemebe:
quote:

It is amazing to me as well. The US government and many other "parties" have meddled in elections of all sorts for as long as such things have existed. If "meddling" in an election is a crime, we would need to jail or hang every politician, foundation board member and "special interest" lobbyist on the planet. Hum....

I still don't understand the difference between this and http://thehill.com/policy/inte...larger-than-reported

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Report This Post