SIGforum
The Trump Presidency : Year II

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/8510094634

January 10, 2019, 01:46 PM
PASig
The Trump Presidency : Year II
This crap is beginning to get ludicrous Mad

They dialed up the orange on the feed to make him look like an Oompa Loompa and managed to make his tongue move in and out of his mouth in a creepy way:

Seattle TV Station Caught Doctoring Trump's Face During National Address

January 10, 2019, 02:19 PM
FishOn
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
This crap is beginning to get ludicrous Mad

They dialed up the orange on the feed to make him look like an Oompa Loompa and managed to make his tongue move in and out of his mouth in a creepy way:

Seattle TV Station Caught Doctoring Trump's Face During National Address

Fired.

A staffer at local FOX affiliate Q13 has been fired after the station aired what appears to be a doctored video of President Donald Trump’s Tuesday night speech from the Oval Office.

The video was changed to make it look as if Trump was sticking his tongue out languidly between sentences. In addition, the colors in the video look more saturated, leading the president’s skin and hair to appear more orange.
January 10, 2019, 02:39 PM
erj_pilot
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good! Stupid is as stupid does. I'm glad stupid hurt in this instance. But I'm sure CNN will snap up this Trump-hating ass-hat in a heartbeat...

Quick question about President Trump's address...did he manage to work in the Go Fund Me page created by caring citizens of this country trying to fund the wall??

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24
January 10, 2019, 04:10 PM
GT-40DOC
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

Quick question about President Trump's address...did he manage to work in the Go Fund Me page created by caring citizens of this country trying to fund the wall??

Not to my knowledge, but I sure was hoping that he would have!!
January 10, 2019, 05:52 PM
flashguy
I did not hear a mention of the GFM project. I think it would have been a good thing, but perhaps he didn't think it was big enough yet to appear a grass-roots tidal wave. We, of course, think 300,000 participants is a huge response, but compared to the population of the country it's only 0.1%--hardly a groundswell outpouring of support.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth
January 10, 2019, 05:57 PM
Brianp90
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I did not hear a mention of the GFM project. I think it would have been a good thing, but perhaps he didn't think it was big enough yet to appear a grass-roots tidal wave. We, of course, think 300,000 participants is a huge response, but compared to the population of the country it's only 0.1%--hardly a groundswell outpouring of support.

flashguy

$20,001,774 of $1.0B goal raised by 333,856 people in 24 days may not be a groundswell outpouring of support yet but, it's growing by the minute.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

January 10, 2019, 08:12 PM
Blown_Chevelle1971
I am hoping for many more

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

January 10, 2019, 08:20 PM
sdy
From CTH

https://theconservativetreehou...is-over/#more-158745

Secretary Pompeo Eviscerates Obama in Cairo

From Pompeo speech in Cairo:

These lands witnessed convulsions from Tunis to Tehran as old systems crumbled and new ones struggled to emerge.

And at this critical moment, America, your long-time friend, was absent too much. Why?

Because our leaders gravely misread our history, and your historical moment. These fundamental misunderstandings, set forth in this city in 2009, adversely affected the lives of hundreds of millions of people in Egypt and all across the region.

Remember: It was here, here in this city, that another American stood before you.

He told you that radical Islamist terrorism does not stem from an ideology.

He told you that 9/11 led my country to abandon its ideals, particularly in the Middle East.

He told you that the United States and the Muslim world needed, quote, “a new beginning,” end of quote.

The results of these misjudgments have been dire.

In falsely seeing ourselves as a force for what ails the Middle East , we were timid in asserting ourselves when the times – and our partners – demanded it.

We grossly underestimated the tenacity and viciousness of radical Islamism, a debauched strain of the faith that seeks to upend every other form of worship or governance. ISIS drove to the outskirts of Baghdad as America hesitated. They raped and pillaged and murdered tens of thousands of innocents. They birthed a caliphate across Syria and Iraq and launched terror attacks that killed all across continents.

America’s reluctance, our reluctance, to wield our influence kept us silent as the people of Iran rose up against the mullahs in Tehran in the Green Revolution. The ayatollahs and their henchmen murdered, jailed, and intimidated freedom-loving Iranians, and they wrongly blamed America for this unrest when it was their own tyranny that had fueled it. Emboldened, the regime spread its cancerous influence to Yemen, to Iraq, to Syria, and still further into Lebanon.

Our penchant, America’s penchant, for wishful thinking led us to look the other way as Hizballah, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Iranian regime, accumulated a massive arsenal of approximately 130,000 rockets and missiles. They stored and positioned these weapons in Lebanese towns and villages in flagrant violation of international law. That arsenal is aimed squarely at our ally Israel.

When Bashar Assad unleashed terror upon ordinary Syrians and barrel-bombed civilians with sarin gas, a true echo of Saddam Hussein’s gassing of the Kurdish people, we condemned his actions. But in our hesitation to wield power, we did nothing.

Our eagerness to address only Muslims and not nations ignored the rich diversity of the Middle East and frayed old bonds. It undermined the concept of the nation-state, the building block of international stability. And our desire for peace at any cost led us to strike a deal with Iran, our common enemy.

So today, what did we learn from all of this? We learned that when America retreats, chaos often follows. When we neglect our friends, resentment builds. And when we partner with enemies, they advance.

The good news. The good news is this: The age of self-inflicted American shame is over , and so are the policies that produced so much needless suffering. Now comes the real new beginning.

In just 24 months, actually less than two years, the United States under President Trump has reasserted its traditional role as a force for good in this region. We’ve learned from our mistakes. We’ve rediscovered our voice. We’ve rebuilt our relationships. We’ve rejected false overtures from our enemies.

more at link
January 10, 2019, 08:22 PM
Balzé Halzé
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

Not to my knowledge, but I sure was hoping that he would have!!

He should've mentioned it at the end with a "by the way, I'll be donating $1 million to the GFM wall campaign immediately after the completion of this address."

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle
January 10, 2019, 10:11 PM
Rightwire
The media seems to be milking this for all it is worth. I'm trying to figure out how I'm supposed to believe that every federal employee has already depleted all of their savings and if they miss this paycheck they'll lose everything.

I am curious as to what the end game is here. Trump isn't backing down, nor should he. The Democrats are using this 'crisis' against him and not going to back down. Where does it end?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.
January 10, 2019, 10:15 PM
Shifferbrains
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
The media seems to be milking this for all it is worth. I'm trying to figure out how I'm supposed to believe that every federal employee has already depleted all of their savings and if they miss this paycheck they'll lose everything.

I am curious as to what the end game is here. Trump isn't backing down, nor should he. The Democrats are using this 'crisis' against him and not going to back down. Where does it end?

Trump will ultimately declare an emergency and use funds from other sources to build the wall. He has to do all he can to show that the Dems are the one's not willing to negotiate. Then complete blame rests at the feet of Pelosi and Shummer.
January 10, 2019, 10:17 PM
Shifferbrains
Of all of the people that can succeed Trump when his second term ends, I can see no better than Mike Pompeo. He has the same type of in your face attitude and guts that Trump has.
January 10, 2019, 10:26 PM
Balzé Halzé
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
quote:

Trump will ultimately declare an emergency and use funds from other sources to build the wall. He has to do all he can to show that the Dems are the one's not willing to negotiate. Then complete blame rests at the feet of Pelosi and Shummer.

I truly hope that he doesn't have to declare an emergency. I don't think that is a good thing for him to do at all. Not even considering the precedence that such a move would make, it completely shifts the focus of how ridiculous the dems are being to whether or not what Trump has done is even legal, regardless if it actually of course is.

In other words, declaring an emergency for the purpose of building the wall should be an absolute last resort, if any resort at all.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle
January 10, 2019, 10:34 PM
Shifferbrains
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
quote:

I truly hope that he doesn't have to declare an emergency. I don't think that is a good thing for him to do at all. Not even considering the precedence that such a move would make, it completely shifts the focus of how ridiculous the dems are being to whether or not what Trump has done is even legal, regardless if it actually of course is.

In other words, declaring an emergency for the purpose of building the wall should be an absolute last resort, if any resort at all.

We are already in a state of emergency at the southern border.

The precedence has already been set by Reagan, Clinton, G.W., and Obama.

I say, Build The Damned Wall Now!
January 10, 2019, 10:51 PM
sjtill
sdy, Thank you for posting the link to Mike Pompeo's speech. Pompeo is one of the jewels in the crown of Trump's cabinet for sure, and this speech was revelatory in its candor.
In other words, he told the truth about the catastrophic policies of the Obama administration in the Middle East.

January 10, 2019, 11:43 PM
2012BOSS302
Today at the border

January 11, 2019, 12:55 AM
mod29
quote:
Of all of the people that can succeed Trump when his second term ends, I can see no better than Mike Pompeo. He has the same type of in your face attitude and guts that Trump has.

I'm impressed with Pompeo. Smart as hell and no nonsense.
January 11, 2019, 07:30 AM
DennisM
quote:

The same media hates me 299 weeks out of every 300, but suddenly I'm a victim because the payroll will be delayed? They're not concerned that the government's work isn't being done (wait, they ARE worried that Food Stamps, Section 8, and TANF are in peril) but they're deeply concerned that I'll be foraging in dumpsters and living in a tent city after a missed check.

Any fed who remembers the 1996 shutdown, the 2013 shutdown, or last year's very brief shutdown, and STILL doesn't have a contingency plan for month or two without pay, needs to be kicked squarely in the 'nads.
January 11, 2019, 07:51 AM
braillediver
quote:
I'm trying to figure out how I'm supposed to believe that every federal employee has already depleted all of their savings and if they miss this paycheck they'll lose everything.

I'd bet 1/2 can't make next months rent.

quote:
The shocking number of Americans who can’t cover a $400 expense

"About 46 percent of Americans said they did not have enough money to cover a $400 emergency expense."
https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.0b95e2e9f08d

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.
January 11, 2019, 08:01 AM
DennisM
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
I'm trying to figure out how I'm supposed to believe that every federal employee has already depleted all of their savings and if they miss this paycheck they'll lose everything.

I'd bet 1/2 can't make next months rent.

quote:
The shocking number of Americans who can’t cover a $400 expense

"About 46 percent of Americans said they did not have enough money to cover a $400 emergency expense."
https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.0b95e2e9f08d

Guidance received this week:
- The Thrift Savings Plan (our version of a 401k) is processing loan applications irrespective of the shutdown. This is a relaxation of the usual rule that prohibits taking a loan from your account if you're in "non-pay" status. No repayments will be due until appropriations are passed. Yes, you're paying interest on the loan, but you're paying the interest back into your own account.
- Health benefits continue in force. We'll need to "pay up" our accrued share when we're back to work, but we still have our usual coverage.
- Had zero savings despite all the warnings, have nothing in TSP despite having been told as a puppy to max your contributions from Day One, and have no other contingency plans because you lack the survival instinct of the average gerbil? Furloughed workers are eligible for unemployment benefits.

I am sympathetic to the very new workers in entry-level grades. Everyone else: Please.