SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year II
Page 1 ... 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 ... 308

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year II Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
https://www.thewrap.com/weekly...t-down-bill-kristol/

The Weekly Standard, the conservative magazine founded by Bill Kristol in 1995, will shut down, Ryan McKibben the CEO of the magazine’s parent company Clarity Media told staffers in an all-hands meeting on Friday morning.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kristol pays the price for his fanatical antiTrump crusade

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“WASHINGTON (AP) — Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, who is facing federal investigations into his travel, political activity and potential conflicts of interest, will leave the administration at year’s end, President Donald Trump said Saturday.

Trump, in tweeting Zinke’s departure, said the former Montana congressman “accomplished much during his tenure” and that a replacement would be announced next week. The Cabinet post requires Senate confirmation.

“Zinke will go down as the worst Interior secretary in history,” said Kieran Suckling, executive director of the Center for Biological Diversity, in a statement released Saturday. “His slash-and-burn approach was absolutely destructive for public lands and wildlife. Allowing David Bernhardt to continue to call the shots will still be just as ugly. Different people, same appetite for greed and profit.”

Kieran Suckling is a weird, but probably descriptive, name.

https://apnews.com/842c84a03e5f405fae83277a97905841

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8930 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Quite a good article about new chief of staff Mulvaney:

“When I got here almost two years ago, I told everyone that I had one goal, one motto, one sort of mission statement for OMB: quiet competence. That is, after all, what OMB is all about,” he said in the letter. “I plan to take this motto with me as I work to fill the shoes of General Kelly, who provided an outstanding service to the President and the American people.”

https://apnews.com/5bf11ae57b9d4e7f809d92a3e40ce311

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8930 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Joey D 12/17/18

WMAL does not have a seperate segment for Joe this morning. His segment starts at 7:24.

Description

Monday 12/17/18: Joe diGenova, Trevor Matich, Saagar Enjeti and Rob Henneke

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I am not worried by the turnover in staff

its actually a good thing - people get burned out with what I suspect is a very high-paced environment and its also a great way to get better and brighter people doing the work

come in, do your time, make a difference, leave and don't look back

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53164 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not worried by the turnover in staff

That's how our government was supposed to be. You were supposed to serve your country and then return to your regular life.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I love turnovers.

Cherry, apple, what have ya...

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107484 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I love turnovers.

Dried apricot...mmmmm!

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

"Here at @weeklystandard I'm wandering into offices of colleagues working on the new issue and saying, "It doesn't take much to see that the problems of one little magazine don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that.” It's going over great."

(I don't know what that means either)

He's paraphrasing a great line uttered by Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca. The movie line represents the unselfish choice both Bogart and Ingrid Bergman are making for the good of a greater cause - freedom from fascism.

Kristol apparently sees running his magazine into the ground and killing off the jobs of those who work for him as a noble sacrifice for the greater good of mankind; somehow noble like Bogart's character. How arrogant and deluded he must be.

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Trump Backs Off Demand For Full Wall Funding, Simultaneously Pushes Criminal Justice Reform

On Tuesday, the Trump administration announced its willingness to back off of its demands for full funding for a border wall in the newest continuing resolution to fund the government. White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told Fox News, “we have other ways that we can get to that $5 billion that we’ll work with Congress.” She explained, “At the end of the day, we don’t want to shut down the government. We want to shut down the border.”

This marks a serious shift from the escalating tenor of President Trump’s statements on the issue. On Friday, he said that he would own a shutdown over the border; he has consistently insisted that Democrats provide him the funding he has requested. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) was set to propose a bill today that would include both $1.6 billion in border funding and another $1 billion for a border security “slush fund” that could not be used toward a wall, but Democrats have already said that they will oppose such a deal. Democrats continue to preach that a wall would be immoral in some unspecified way. “It’s the wrong thing to do,” incoming Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) stated. “It doesn’t work. It’s not effective. It’s the wrong thing to do and it’s a waste of money.”

It does work. It’s not ineffective. And the only time Democrats seem concerned about excessive government expenditure is when national security is implicated.

Meanwhile, the Trump administration is about to send $4.8 billion to Mexico in development aid...
So much for Mexico paying for the wall.

https://www.dailywire.com/news...-funding-ben-shapiro

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24054 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Doesn’t seem like sound re-election strategy...

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Report This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doesn’t seem like sound re-election strategy.

Sounds like typical Trump to me. Really needs $2. Demands $5. All works out in the end.

You guys do realize the wall is being erected as you're reading this, right? Wall is under construction already. Let Trump do what Trump does.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Report This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
Doesn’t seem like sound re-election strategy.

Really needs $2. Demands $5.

Sends the $5 to Mexico. That's not why I voted for him...

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Report This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sends the $5 to Mexico. That's not why I voted for him...

Trump hasn't sent $5 to Mexico, so you're safe from having to vote for Bernie in 2020.

www.zykansafe.com

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I hope the sky isn't falling?
Now apparently the Wall is done for and then the Bump Stock Ban.
Not the direction I would call "winning".
Trying to see the big picture here but is a bit foggy to me now.
Frown

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
So do we think that Trump will be relegated to a lame duck for the final two years, will McConnell stay the course and push through judges in order to get that part of the agenda done. It really rests on McConnells backbone as to what he's willing to do or not do in the Senate.

I dont see the house putting forth any legislation or budgets, we are stuck with these
short term funding resolutions forever, there's too much leverage for the house with doing this.

It needs to be outlawed but no way either side is voting out that kind of power.

Noticed that Choomer has found Pukeloski's camera schedule and has taken over as spokesman for the D party and the House...

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
So do we think that Trump will be relegated to a lame duck for the final two years, will McConnell stay the course and push through judges in order to get that part of the agenda done. It really rests on McConnells backbone as to what he's willing to do or not do in the Senate.

I dont see the house putting forth any legislation or budgets, we are stuck with these
short term funding resolutions forever, there's too much leverage for the house with doing this.

It needs to be outlawed but no way either side is voting out that kind of power.

There's nothing saying that President Trump has to sign these garbage CR's.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Let me annoy some-o-y'alls with another monkeymetaphor.

Most are familiar with "crew" racing.

The Cox is seated and the race starts, the Cox calls commands and the rowers follow them until the race is finished.

No team changes the Cox, and they simply do not give up and stop rowing until the finish.

We are only halfway in this race. Unless the Cox tries to steer the boat on shore, let's row for all we are worth. We picked him.

Row to win, or sit, spectate and commentate. But no bitching in the boat.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43863 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Trying to see the big picture here but is a bit foggy to me now.
Try getting your head out of your ass. Things will appear much clearer for you.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107484 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I love turnovers.

Me too.

Prefer cherry, but wil gladly take apple.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post