SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year II
Page 1 ... 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 ... 308

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year II Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well.....when you're the spawn of Satan himself, apparently for a very long time.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:
Link
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court has upheld President Donald Trump’s ban on travel from several mostly Muslim countries, rejecting a challenge that it discriminated against Muslims or exceeded his authority.

The 5-4 decision Tuesday is the court’s first substantive ruling on a Trump administration policy.

Damn good thing we got Gorsuch in.

A huge disappointment in my life is the politicization of the judiciary—at every level.

Posts: 13253 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We need one more conservative justice to balance out Mr. I'm Important Roberts who's always going to be in the middle waiting on the others to pull him from side to side.

Posts: 23414 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
quote:

We need a couple more of the liberal justices to die off.

How much longer can RBG hang on?

RBG was born March, 1933, so only 85 years old. OTOH, she’s been reported to nod off on the bench.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Actor Ron Perlman has always been a lefty loon but he takes it to a bizarre level here:

Is that a bizarre admission or what? Does he think that was the brave or manly thing to do in his situation?

Great commentary HERE at Hotair. Best line:

"How many people go their entire lives without having the impulse to piss on themselves, in any context? When was the last time you ran into someone whom you deeply dislike and thought, “I want my urine on him, even if it means having my urine on me first”?"

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, shit, Ronnie- by your measure, if you ever touched a hand rail in the NYC subway, you've touched the genitals of about 20% of the people in the five boroughs.

Dang, man, you need to be hospitalized or something, I guess. Bathe in Purell, then take a really, really hot shower, k?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
^^^ So, he really showed Weinstein! He got a tiny bit of piss on Weinstein's hand-- from, you know, the piss he pissed all over his own hand. Roll Eyes

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
^^^ So, he really showed Weinstein! He got a tiny bit of piss on Weinstein's hand-- from, you know, the piss he pissed all over his own hand. Roll Eyes

Yep, good to know when ol' Ron has your back. He takes matters (so to speak) into his own hands. No police involvement, violence, no strong words, he just goes and pisses on his hands.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Report This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Ronnie was just marking his territory.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Report This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:
Link
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court has upheld President Donald Trump’s ban on travel from several mostly Muslim countries, rejecting a challenge that it discriminated against Muslims or exceeded his authority.

The 5-4 decision Tuesday is the court’s first substantive ruling on a Trump administration policy.

A huge disappointment in my life is the politicization of the judiciary—at every level.

From its earliest times with John Marshall (1801-1835), the United States Supreme Court, for instance, has been political.

Marshall famously told the younger Justice Story to write an opinion that was not made by interpreting the law but by following Marshall's own desires for what Marshall wanted the law to be when he said, “Now, Story, that is the law; you find the precedents for it.”

During the civil war the US Supreme Court seemed to follow the wind of politics in their decisions but, alas, they seemed behind the times when decisions emerged.

There was "the stitch in time that saved nine" when the Court changed its opinions about New Deal legislation to avoid the court packing scheme that promised to dwarf their views.

The amplified problem now is that all these lesser federal judges are making laws "better" while imposing their personal views on the whole of the country with things like political injunctions.

This is why getting judges that will interpret the law and not make the law is so important. Judicial activism has been a problem from the beginning.

(oops. I meant to write "switch" in time that saved nine.)
(oops 2. (1801 - 1835) Sheesh.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tubetone,

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/0...an-voters-trump.html

Mr. Trump’s approval rating among Republicans is now about 90 percent

the only modern Republican president more popular with his party than Mr. Trump at this point in his first term, according to Gallup, was George W. Bush after the country united in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks.

In interviews across the country over the last few days, dozens of Trump voters, as well as pollsters and strategists, described something like a bonding experience with the president that happens each time Republicans have to answer a now-familiar question: “How can you possibly still support this man?”

a real stumper, that one Smile

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tubetone:

From its earliest times with John Marshall (1877-1911), the United States Supreme Court, for instance, has been political.

Better check those dates.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Brad Parscale (Donald Trump campaign manager):

The crowd at the Minnesota rally was 60% DEM and Independent

https://twitter.com/parscale/s.../1011640619314409472

Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by Tubetone:

From its earliest times with John Marshall (1877-1911), the United States Supreme Court, for instance, has been political.

Better check those dates.

Ha Ha. So right. (1801-1835). Too much medicine . . .

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Tubetone, where did you find that story about Chief Justice Marshall and Justice Story?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well.....when you're the spawn of Satan himself, apparently for a very long time.

You'd think her ten years would be up by now. Razz

Posts: 5198 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Report This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
Ronnie was just marking his territory.

Yeah, Palmela Handerson is his, all his. Razz

Posts: 5198 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sig 226:
Link

Finally law prevails. Unfortunately the protestors get the press.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Tubetone, where did you find that story about Chief Justice Marshall and Justice Story?

I remember that incident from more than one of my texts from college. My undergraduate degree is: Special Major, The United States Constitution. I focused on the subject while basically doing a triple major in philosophy, history and political science. It was in several of my course materials along the way. I read a lot of books in those years. It may have been in my thesis too.

It struck me as a pivotal glimpse of the early days of the court. It is kind of like Gregg vs Georgia to me when ignoring the record before the court, the activist Supreme Court judges dissented to seemingly, out of whole cloth, conclude that the death penalty was unconstitutional.

I was interested in finding such examples in those years and made them stick.

I have my old texts and notes but they are hard to get out just now. I remember even having the name of the case it was about but I just can't pull it out of my memory. It's teasing me, though.

I noticed that there were a few references that showed up by just putting the phrase into my search engine.

posted Hide Post
GOP needs more hardball like this.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFRHX6glTSM

Posts: 89 | Location: North Texas | Registered: August 07, 2012Report This Post