SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year II
Page 1 ... 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 ... 308

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year II Login/Join 
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Some German luxury car enthusiasts are going wild on the internet over a “reported statement” between Trump and the French president where Trump said he wanted to ban German luxury sedans so that none are seen on 5th Avenue. The hill reported it so it’s obviously just a distraction from something positive our president did recently. Maybe it was intended to be a jab at Merkel. Either way I find the whole thing to be extremely amusing.

That's from a report of the German business weekly "WirtschaftsWoche", allegedly with various US and European diplomats as the source. However, if Trump even made that "I'm gonna stick to my trade policy until there are no Mercedes rolling on Fifth Avenue" quip during Macron's April visit, it was just that; as the report also points out, Mercedes and other German carmakers have of course plants in the US itself where they concentrate production of models like the Mercedes GLS and GLE or BMW X5 SUVs which are in particular demand there, but also export them - including back to Germany.

For example, last year 804,000 "German" cars were built in the US, of which 430,000 were exported (more than 160,000 to the EU, where they were subject to tariffs for foreign-built cars). At the same time, 494,000 German-built cars of other models were imported into the US. The latter will of course be affected by raised tariffs, which might particularly hit Audi and Porsche who don't build in the US (though their owner Volkswagen does). Then again, the customers who buy luxury cars will probably not care about the markup; certainly the US-built models sell just as well here, despite the EU tariffs. It's really a big wash overall.

Steel and alloy tariffs are another matter, since they will make imported auto parts made from sorts to specifications not produced in the US more expensive across the board, not just luxury models; so that's gonna hit production of German (and probably all other) cars in the US, too. In the end, the whole trade war rethoric on either side of the Atlantic is rather behind the state of today's international economy, and that kind of duel amounts to hand grenades at five paces. Personally I think they should just have signed the TTIP agreement which would have removed all customs duties between the US and EU, but of course protectionists, environmentalists, unionists and various wackos had a collective fit.

Posts: 2412 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
I'm beginning to believe that Gowdy is a swamp creature at his core.

Him stepping down, combined with his Democrat talking point on the FBI spy makes me think he is neck deep in the swamp muck.

I believe both Gowdy and Ryan stepping down now is very curious.

I think more Republicans will be exposed in the next year or so.

Posts: 8613 | Registered: September 26, 2013Report This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think more Republicans will be exposed in the next year or so.

I think Republicans were in this up to their eyeballs, at least as much as Democrats and maybe even more so. The attempted coup was the work of the Uniparty.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This talk about Trump pardoning Dinesh D'Souza and Martha Stewart:

Dinesh D'Souza: A "fuck you" to Obama

Martha Stewart: a "fuck you" to James Comey AND Obama

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
Picture of porterdog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BansheeOne:
In the end, the whole trade war rethoric on either side of the Atlantic is rather behind the state of today's international economy, and that kind of duel amounts to hand grenades at five paces.

Interesting times, to be sure. Here's a recent piece on the subject from Sundance at The Last Refuge/Conservative Treehouse. Seems well reasoned to me, but I don't know much about international trade. There are frequent posts on the topic.

https://theconservativetreehou...ada-or-mexico-video/

Is your government serving you?

Posts: 1271 | Location: Detroit (Rock City!) | Registered: September 11, 2004Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
do you think Google is biased ?

https://news.vice.com/en_us/ar...nia-republican-party

voters looking for information by searching “California Republicans” or “California Republican Party” were getting “Nazism” next to their search results until Google took the listing down later Thursday after a query from VICE News.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Google:

"We regret that vandalism on Wikipedia briefly appeared on our search results. This was not the the result of a manual change by Google. We have systems in place that catch vandalism before it impacts search results, but occasionally errors get through, and that happened here."

According to the Wikipedia talk page, the addition of Nazism was made on May 24th and reverted Wednesday night

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
This talk about Trump pardoning Dinesh D'Souza and Martha Stewart:

Dinesh D'Souza: A "fuck you" to Obama

Martha Stewart: a "fuck you" to James Comey AND Obama

Rod Blagojevich: ?

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Blago should not get a pardon

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
The subject of stopping the Hawaiian volcano has also come up.

According to ancient Hawaiian tradition, the quickest way to APPEASE PELE and have the volcanic fires stop is to make a human sacrifice into her fires, and according to tradition, that needs to be a celebrated leader who was born in Hawaii and held a position of power for 8 years.

Obama quickly announced he was actually born in Kenya, and has the Birth Certificate to prove it.

Didn't know where else to post this. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16189 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
cost of the Mueller investigation is now about $20 million total

17 May 2017 to 30 Sep 2017 cost was $ 6.7 mil

1 Oct 2017 to 31 Mar 2018 cost was $9.98 mil

extrapolating Apr 2018 to May 2018 cost would be $ 3.3 mil

This is cost of Mueller SC team and DoJ support

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...ers-appointment.html

Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rod Blagojevich

I don't know, but will yield to Trumps decision to pardon him as proof that his jail sentence was unjust.

Listened to Mrs Blagojevich on Martha MacCallum this evening, she told a pretty convincing story of an unjust sentencing.

Either way, the FBI along with Mueller and Comey were involved in his prosecution, so that there is enough to question his sentencing.

Yep, I am convinced Trump is making the right move here.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
What I understood that D’Souza was to be pardoned. Blagojevich was being considered for a commutation of sentence, not a pardon, and not a done deal yet. He would be relieved of the remainder of his prison time, 14 years less whatever he has already done.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
I bet he only floated Blago's name so he wouldn't get crap about the other people he'd like to pardon. Then when people whine, he just takes Blago's name off the table and gets the others just fine.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Report This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
I bet he only floated Blago's name so he wouldn't get crap about the other people he'd like to pardon. Then when people whine, he just takes Blago's name off the table and gets the others just fine.

Nice to dangle that in front of Rod, his wife, and his kids.

Year V

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
Gee, it sounds like you're stating an opinion as if it's a fact.

You took someone else's speculation and treated it as if it's a fact.

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
Gee, it sounds like you're stating an opinion as if it's a fact.

You took someone else's speculation and treated it as if it's a fact.

What I stated is clearly an opinion.

Year V

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, actually. You're commenting on someone's speculation as if it is stated fact. You took speculation as fact and opined on it as if President Trump had donned his Simon LeGree costume. Your opinion was stated as fact.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Ok, to clarify, my statement, which is my opinion, is with regards to the speculation as to the motive Trump could possibly have to commute the sentence of former Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich.

Year V

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, I see now. Thanks.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
These people are going to send me into therapy