SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Found a superior tahini
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found a superior tahini Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Pepperwood Organic Stone-Ground Sesame Tahini Butter, Hulled, Unsalted, Non-GMO, Gluten-Free, Kosher, Vegan, USDA Organic, Peanut-Free, 14 Ounce

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MYDN...perwood+tahini&psc=1

The taste of this stuff is as good as any tahini I've tried, and better than most. But what sets it apart is its physical consistency. Unlike every other brand that I've seen there's no lake of oil at the top of the jar that has to be stirred in. Neither are there any gooey clots that exist in some brands. None of my local stores carry it, but Amazon does.

Pepperwood also has another variety that has the hulls ground in, but that doesn't sound appealing to me, and I haven't tried it.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks - I will give it a try.

I used to eat something like this a long time ago in Hawaii.

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I’ll try it for my roasted garlic hummus and Palestinian sumac chicken.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Try the black tahini for an interesting variation.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
A good article about the nutritional benefits of tahini:

www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/298585.php

Tasty too! The article says, "Tahini is made from sesame seeds, with a little bit of oil mixed in to make it the right consistency." But I don't think that the Pepperwood tahini has any added oil.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know the tactical use for tahini?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

I suppose in a pinch you could lube your bolt carrier group with some. Smile

---------------------------------

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:

I suppose in a pinch you could lube your bolt carrier group with some. Smile

---------------------------------

Oh, I see. In case of a jam, you could say, "Open sesame".

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

----------------------------------

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Pipe Smoker,

Curious. Among the other brands you've tried, was Soom Foods or Baron's Kosher included?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015WU3X5Q/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1HL0H8/

Only one I've tried from Amazon was Baron's Kosher 100% Ground Sesame which is quite tasty and excellent in homemade hummus.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
In WWII it was noticed that Turkish pilots were noted for their unusual endurance. They figured out that this was due to their diets being high in tahini.

All About Tahini

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Is it a halva tahini?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Pipe Smoker,

Curious. Among the other brands you've tried, was Soom Foods or Baron's Kosher included?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015WU3X5Q/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1HL0H8/

Only one I've tried from Amazon was Baron's Kosher 100% Ground Sesame which is quite tasty and excellent in homemade hummus.

No, I haven't tried either of those. But I sure do like this Pepperwood for the reasons stated in my original post. Just had some on garlic ciabatta toast. So good!

Also, I like TJ's Channa Masala (onion-garbanzo bean curry, a frozen entree). I add an ounce of tahini to it, which provides the essential amino acid that garbanzo beans lack, making a complete protein (and it improves the flavor too). I now use the Pepperwood for that purpose.

The Pepperwood is also said to be Kosher.

Serious about crackers

posted Hide Post
Got mine.

Very tasty!

----------------------------

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Used the Baron's Tahini (which looks to be the equal of the Pepperwood) for this today. Fantastic! And no, I passed on cooking up a batch of raw garbanzo beans this time.

I am more generous with the Tahini and lemon juice than the recipe. Used REAL Parmigiano-Reggiano (not that pre-grated supermarket parmesan crap), Himalayan pink sea salt, coarse ground Tellicherry black peppercorn, paprika, more EVOO, and fresh chopped parsley to finish things off. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/9670084434/p/1

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
bald1, that dish of hummus looks delicious!

Re: "Used the Baron's Tahini (which looks to be the equal of the Pepperwood)"

Some of the reviews of the Baron's in the Amazon link you posted suggest that it has some oil on top, although less than most brands. E.g:

"Arrived on time. Thinner than grocery store tahini and only took a few stirs to incorporate the separated oil…"

Is that your experience too? The Pepperwood has NO separated oil – it's entirely homogeneous. That's unique in my experience.

Serious about crackers

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've had some minor separation but honestly I expect that with such a product just like natural / organic peanut butter. Regardless it's the taste that counts and Baron's is great! Of the several offerings on Amazon it's the #1 choice (and fakespot verifies the good reviews).

As for that batch of hummus, never roasted garlic for such before nor used Parmigiano-Reggiano. Makes for a smooth, more delicate garlic taste and nice creaminess with the grated cheese. I really liked it. Smile

BTW your avatar is 408 x 412 which is HUGE. You really need to shrink it down to Para standards.

USN (RET), COTEP #192