SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I looked the monster(nicotine)in the eye.. 90 day update pg 4
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I looked the monster(nicotine)in the eye.. 90 day update pg 4 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Congratulations It takes a lot to change really bad, addictive habits.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sig Marine: Like many have said, quitting is the easy part, staying off is The challenge.

For me, after 29 years & 3 attempts, success came after watching my sister-in-law go from diagnosis to the grave in 6 months. At her grave side service, after tossing a shovel of dirt on her coffin , I tossed in my pack of smokes while saying in my mind " I don't smoke."
The placement of the period is still important for me. No qualifiers. Unlike previous attempts when I was always fighting the -wanting-, this time the urge, indeed, the addiction ended there. That was 24 years ago.
You slayed your monster; it was the only one. As you move on, you may look back and notice how it gets smaller. And over time you look back less often till one day you remember having defeated the monster; but it's a done deal. Proud you deserve to be.

Congratulations for your huge accomplishment.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You got this brother.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Congrats - keep it up and don't break. You can do it.

I only smoked for a little under 3 years, but I'm almost 5 years free from it now. Maybe get the odd craving once or twice a year, usually when working on a travel job somewhere cold. Lasted maybe 5 seconds the last time it happened.

Just think of something fun you can do with all the money and you'll snap out of it in no time flat.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Just a quick update. 90 days in and still smoke free.

Thanks again to all the supporting folks here!

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Outstanding. Keep it up!

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:

Congratulations. Finally quitting won’t make you a bloodhound, but your smeller will work much better now. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
GREAT!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30643 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Way to go, just one day at a time.

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Whoa, that is awesome. Excellent job and keep it up. No need to go back down that horrible road.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:

Outstanding!

I'd tell you it gets easier, but in my case that's not true.

I'm smoke free about 1 months shy of 36 years, having stopped a four pack a day habit when I was 23.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Steady on...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the 3-month milestone! Never having smoked, I can't understand what you're going through, but I've been told it is difficult. Take pride in your success, and keep at it. You and your friends will also appreciate that you don't smell like stale tobacco smoke any more.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, keep it up. I’ve walked several miles in those shoes.

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of charlieb
posted Hide Post
congrats.... I'm off of Copenhagen Snuff for almost 13 years after dipping for 23 years.

CHARLIEB

[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
----------)_'_\ * (
''----------------\ - \
''-----------------\ *_\

A few sigs, a couple revolvers, and a few others

"Here hold my beer while I light this" Lefty

Posts: 2937 | Location: Texas- West of DFW Metromess (Weatherford) | Registered: April 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

You are on your way. Don’t ever let your guard down. Think of all the money you will save. Don’t forget to reward yourself.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Congratulations on 90 days Thunderson. Stay the course brother, we're all pulling for you.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 811 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Just a quick update for those that have asked. Last Sunday marked 6 months nicotine free.

Aside from the occasional smoking dream or overly stressful situation I don't really think about it much anymore. I do have to put up with a family member who won't confine their smoking to their room or outside but that's life. I've managed.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Good deal brother. Glad to here it. As far as the family member smoking in your house. No, you do not have to put up with it. Seriously. If it is an adult child. Kick them loose. If the wife. Well, you will have to kick that one around. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Keep it up. Smile

I still get cravings 9 years later. The difference is I don't reach for and smoke one. Wink

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post