SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommended books on bird watching?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommended books on bird watching? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
The wife has taken an increasing interest over the years in watching the birds around here. I wonder if any of you guys have a recommendation for books on bird watching. Coffee table-style books are out, as I'm looking for something she can carry with her on jaunts in the outdoors.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Para i have a folding laminated card that my daughter bought me for fathers day last year that has all the local to me types of birds that is really helpful to carry with me or keep close by to use to reference new bird sightings.
Its not a book but is real useful.
I also bought one for butterfly's.

Quick Referencing Publishing, Inc @
Www.quickreferencepublishing.com

They were at the check out lines at our local HEB grocery store.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mustang-PaPa,

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
"A Field Guide to the Birds" by Roger Tory Peterson.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I called an old GF who is a dedicated birder and she recommended Sibley Birds East.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Petersen guides are excellent.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Para,
Here is a link to a nice field guide sized book “Birds of Georgia”. I use the “Birds of South Carolina” version of this. It’s a nice size to carry in the field. It is indexed by color, so it makes it easy to use for identifying birds.

Birds of Georgia

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4785 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I second the Silbey books. The Sibley Guide To Birds.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...X1M1#customerReviews

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree The Sibley guide is good. I also use the Merlin bird app by Cornell U.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:

I use the Merlin app as well. Regional listings, multiple images, bird calls and the like.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:

I use the Merlin app as well. Regional listings, multiple images, bird calls and the like.

Agree with the books posted but the Merlin app is great. It’s what I use now and what I bought my mother to use.

Fun stuff. And a nice pair of binoculars for the Mrs.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I use National Geographic's Guide to the Backyard Birds of North America and like it. Very nicely organized for quick reference.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I carry a Sibley's Bird Guide with me.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Audubon books.

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Minnow:
Para,
Here is a link to a nice field guide sized book “Birds of Georgia”. I use the “Birds of South Carolina” version of this. It’s a nice size to carry in the field. It is indexed by color, so it makes it easy to use for identifying birds.

Birds of Georgia

I also use the Carolinas edition of this series. It's pretty small and portable.

Also, the Merlin Bird ID app by Cornell mentioned above is pretty good. I used it a couple of months ago to identify a bird hanging around my front porch that I'd never seen before.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:

Growing up my grandmother had numerous feeders. She always had the Audubon field guide close by. Lots of great memories. I just ordered a copy for myself.
Thanks for the reminder.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great thread here. The wifey loves to watch birds. Now I have a few books to get her.

Posts: 7524 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
{Off topic}

I downloaded this to my Kindle a couple of hours ago and have been laughing my ass off. Big Grin

Link

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I use the Golden field guide to birds of North America the most.
I have Sibleys, Audubon (love the actual photo images in there), and the Merlin app as well, but I grew up with the Golden, and that’s where I’ve logged the comings and goings of migrants, so I already have the pages dog eared, etc. and know whereabouts to riffle to on the various types of birds.
Sibleys is too intense for me when I’m trying to figure out wtf it is before it flies off, so I’m grabbing for the blue covered Golden guide, but I’ll burrow into Sibleys when the bird is gone to try and doublecheck and verify or learn more. I just look at Audubon for the pictures Wink

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sibleys is too intense for me when I’m trying to figure out wtf it is before it flies off,

I recommend your wife get a camera with a zoom lens and take photos of the birds she wants to identify. Then, whatever guide she gets, use the photos to identify in the guide. I have never been able to use the guide to identify the bird while it was at the feeder. I'm turning pages and the bird snatches a sunflower seed and flies away.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post