SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TIME article on refugees
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TIME article on refugees Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
http://time.com/no-way-home/

OK, they are trying to paint a picture of the sad refugees. I see an ingrate who insults the country he is trying to get into, and then sits around asking why they don't want him.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The plight of the refugees is sad no doubt. I am not sure I would use the word ingrate, but it was sure stupid to say something negative about a country in which you want to live.

Lithuania has had a difficult history both with Germany and the Soviet Union. Its people have been screwed as bad or worse than Syria. I bet the guy had no idea.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
Go home refugee, band together with like minded people. Fight for your freedom, and to right the ways of your unjust homeland, or die trying. Don't come here and wreck my world, or take from me what I have earned, nor turn my country into the place you fled. Go home!

But that's hard work and possibly fatal, refugees get to join the Free Shit Army in other countries and steal from their citizens while complaining the entire time.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
http://time.com/no-way-home/

OK, they are trying to paint a picture of the sad refugees. I see an ingrate who insults the country he is trying to get into, and then sits around asking why they don't want him.

^^
What is their potential host country (Lithuania) looking for?
quote:
Still, he notes that his country, like many others, only wants refugees genuinely committed to staying, not ones simply waiting to take advantage of liberal E.U. travel laws to search for work in wealthier nations like Germany. It’s a fact, he says, that not all the refugees granted asylum in Lithuania stay. “You can tell the people who are looking for the economic opportunities from the people who are genuinely interested in integrating and settling in Lithuania. Our goal is not to take a person knowing that next day he will run from the country.”

Imagine that. A country that actually wants immigrants who actually want to live there....

And, why didn't they get in? And, here's our happy-go-lucky Syrian's thoughts on Lithuania.....
quote:
in February they were matched with Lithuania—a seemingly arbitrary decision. They were not happy with the choice. “What kind of country has less than half the population of Aleppo?” mused Illham. “And has a woman for President?” said Minhel of the country’s head of state Dalia Grybauskaite. In fact, he was more worried about Lithuania’s poor economy and high unemployment rate.

How do you say "Beggars can't be choosers" in Arabic? Roll Eyes
I hope they learn to like it in the refugee camp.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
Go home refugee, band together with like minded people. Fight for your freedom, and to right the ways of your unjust homeland, or die trying. Don't come here and wreck my world, or take from me what I have earned, nor turn my country into the place you fled. Go home!
Indeed. Is the idea one can't run from their problems a uniquely Western notion? I'll give them a clue-it's their faith at fault. Doesn't matter if they claim Islam has been perverted by some because nobody much seems interested in weeding out the bad actors.

Fight for your country and future. Maybe we'll help. But don't expect us to unilaterally buy your freedom nor take in unlimited masses of you. Arab nations DGAF about Christians and Jews, so why should we care that Shiites are persecuting Sunnis?

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I thnk the idea needs to be to assist these people to "bloom where they are planted."

This refugee business cannot end well.

They devoutly believe in submission to the will of Allah. Let it be.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
This story is just more media propaganda in support of the poor ole refugees. Whatever. These people do not belong in western society because their value system is antithetical to everything about western society. Their problems exist because 'their' cultures know nothing but fighting, conflict, and intolerance. Its been that way for thousands of years and its not likely to change anytime soon.

As Jallen noted, they need to stay where they were planted and solve their own problems, and its not up to the US or other countries to attempt to solve it for them.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Id say it's pretty much the definition of ingrate

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Just look at the Mexican culture where they think it is all right to throw their trash along the road or on property of others.

I have even had some of the neighbors workers take a dump in my field instead of using the neighbors bathroom.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post