SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    D o l l a r G e n r a l - any experience with this company
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

D o l l a r G e n r a l - any experience with this company Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
(forgive the spaced out title and spelling, just trying to avoid it coming up in someone's Google search)

I was called this week by a recruiter for an executive level role with the company. Anyone have any experience with the company, either as an employee or a customer?

Online reviews are hit/miss, just trying to get a sense of the corporate culture.

Thanks!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
They are everywhere down here, and popping up in more places, especially more rural areas.

With their prices, they will be in business for a while. They cater to the lower income--same clientel as Family dollar, and to a lesser extent, Dollar Tree.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are widespread and expanding in the south east. Their biggest competitior around here is Family Dollar.

They are filling a niche in areas not densely populated enough for a WalMart / Target - think rural or less economically thriving areas. The target demographic is IMO lower middle / middle class.

They are smaller stores than WalMarts but have a selection of products across the board to include freezer items. Decent prices. They sell smaller serving sizes / SKUs in many cases.

They do not sell fresh produce. They do not have a pharmacy like CVS / Walgreens.

My only knock on them is they usually only have one register open. I run in there from time to time to grab odds and ends like coffee, gatorade, detergent, etc.

---------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are widespread and expanding in the south east. Their biggest competitior around here is Family Dollar.

I just read that they have purchased Family Dollar.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
they are a client of mine and have worked on more than 800 projects for them over the last 10 years

the people I work with - the real estate and construction side - are all stand-up people

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
they sell cheap shit for really cheap, which will always be a good business model.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:

I just read that they have purchased Family Dollar.

Interesting - I had read that was a possibility - didn't know it had gone through.

Kinda funny because kinda like CVS / Walgreens you will have two stores literally right across the street from one another.

-----------------

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

I just read that they have purchased Family Dollar.[/QUOTE]

Interesting - I had read that was a possibility - didn't know it had gone through.

Kinda funny because kinda like CVS / Walgreens you will have two stores literally right across the street from one another.

-----------------[/QUOTE]

A batch of 323 small discount stores spun off in 2015’s Dollar Tree-Family Dollar merger are being sold to rival Dollar General, the seller told SN Monday.

The stores, which are currently operating under the Family Dollar banner, were acquired less than two years ago by New York private equity firm Sycamore Partners, which had planned to convert the stores to the Dollar Express banner. Instead, the stores will be converted to the Dollar General banner in coming months.

http://www.supermarketnews.com...l-acquire-323-stores

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Timely topic for me.

I've been wondering what the hell they were thinking, there is one going up here in a spot that I wouldn't think would support a one aisle quickie-mart. Be interesting to see how they do.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing I can vouch for Dollar General - is they will actually have name brand products.

Tide, Coke, Gatorade, Folgers, Lays, Dial soap, etc not just knock-off China crap or store brand (which they have also...I thinks its called Clover Valley...).

I think its a decent alternative if you are driving by one and need a couple items.

-------------------------------------

posted Hide Post
We have a dollar tree about 1/2 miles or so from the house. I had never been in one until last year right before Christmas.

Crap, I am hooked. I love it and I can find almost everything I need except Meat and produce.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Name brands at good prices. Store brand items are also good. They seem to be very customer oriented, my wife is always getting coupons ther for $5 off a $25 purchase. Aisles in the stores are narrow. I guess they make the most of their space.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Kept me in food when I was in desperate times.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
You can't throw a rock around here and not hit one.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
We don't have a Walmart here. We get by with Dollar General and Shopko.

Dollar General = Jerkwater's Walmart
Shopko = Jerkwater's Target

We have Family Dollar but it's so pathetic I never bother to go in there any more.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
All I know is they have the oldest and farthest reaching door sensors shooting X-Band signals of any non-alien craft. Sets off the V1 reliably from miles away, and I spend a fair time in their rural haunts of AL and MS.....

Cheap crap to depressed/isolated areas is a good description. It struck me as a missed investment opportunity this spring, but probably too late...
7 year price trend

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of them in tiny Yoop towns. They apparently are trying to service customers in areas that other businesses wont.
Here's a tip:
Check your expiration date!
Love Shopko!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
As an employment opportunity, it might not be a bad choice.

Dollar General added about 900 new stores in 2016, and revamped roughly the same number of existing locations. Don't expect that activity to slow down in the coming year; in fact, the discount retailer should actually increase the amount of new locations it opens.

"In 2017, we plan to accelerate our square footage to about 7.5%," CEO Todd Vasos said on the company's third-quarter 2016 earnings call, which was transcribed by Seeking Alpha. "Our 2017 pipeline is essentially complete as we continue to plan for about 1,000 new store openings."

http://www.investopedia.com/st...expansion-plans.aspx

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are one of my best customers. I highly respect them and would have no qualms about working from their Goodlettsville headquarters.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
From an external perspective, I have been researching them and they are considered a good stock buy right now. They are trading at about 16 times present earnings, and about 12-13 times 2019-2020 projected earnings. If I understand correctly, the executive team is a group of former Walmart execs and they are using a model that is somewhat similar to, but modified from the original Walmart model of going into underserved areas.

This looks like a company on the move. If the culture's good, it might be a good time to get onboard.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post