SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hottest Night in Recorded History Just Logged in Oman
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hottest Night in Recorded History Just Logged in Oman Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
The day of June 26 was a scorcher in the town of Quriyat, Oman. Temperatures in the town, which is weathering a miserable heat wave, peaked at 121.6 degrees Fahrenheit (49.8 degrees Celsius) during the day, according to Weather Underground. That's just shy of the Omani record-high temperature of 123.4 degrees F (50.8 degrees C), set on May 30, 2017. But anyone in Quriyat hoping for an evening respite from the extreme heat would have been disappointed: Temperatures fell to a low of just 108.7 degrees F (42.6 degrees C). That's a world record: the highest "low" temperature ever recorded in history.

Oman, a hot and dry country located on the southeastern tip of the Arabian Peninsula (south of Saudi Arabia and east of Yemen) is a frequent site for ultrahot weather, including the last record-high low; Weather Underground reports that record, 107.4 degrees F (41.9 degrees C), was set at Khasab Airport on June 27, 2011.

The new record, Weather Underground reported, is the result of a "ridge" of high-pressure air in the upper atmosphere over the Arabian Peninsula, which trapped humid air from the Indian Ocean in the region, preventing heat from escaping at night.

The hottest temperature ever recorded on the Earth's surface was 134 degrees F (56.7 degrees C), in Furnace Creek Ranch in Death Valley, California, on July 10, 1913, according to the World Meteorological Association.

Link

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JALLEN,

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
That's nothing. They should have been measuring in my house last summer when the AC was broken.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
They should vacation in London....

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
It's Oman, so it's a dry heat.

One useful for slow cookin' some ribs.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Hotter than a goat's ass in a pepper patch.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Hotter than a goat's ass in a pepper patch.

Or a snake's ass in a wagon rut.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Or a half-fucked fox in a forest fire.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15477 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
So hot, you can do some crotch pot cookin'

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
GLOBAL WARMING!!!!!!!!!!!

That right there is all the evidence you need.

BTW, I'd swear that temps on Ft. Irwin in August of '89 were a hell of a lot hotter than Oman. Good God it was stifling out there. Heating up MREs on a rock, hot.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Don't send them food, send them LUGGAGE!!!!

Posts: 20085 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
It's so hot the ovens there are overheating.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I worked a couple seasons building the lower Hells Canyon Dam circa 1967. While none were 'resident', there were multiseason crews at the labor camp where I bunked was on 'Big Bar', a sloping gravel bank in a large curve in the river. The canyon wall was so steep, that by about 4:30 the sun would move below that section of directly lighting the banks/river/parbroiled labor crew.

There was an old mummified apple orchard there, with tree long dead. Still, some of the trailers were laid out in a rough pattern under some of those dehydrated sticks.

More than once I saw a thermometer hanging on a branch, in the shade of a trailer, reading above 125*....once memorable day I saw 132*. Somehow these were never regarded as 'real' measurements.

Unsure how the day crew managed the heat of the day, I was on graveyard shift. Regardless of the radiation activity of the day, by 0300 until about 0900 it could be very pleasant.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
Regardless of the radiation activity of the day, by 0300 until about 0900 it could be very pleasant.

I've always found that too. Nights in the desert are something to be appreciated.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
I worked a couple seasons building the lower Hells Canyon Dam circa 1967. While none were 'resident', there were multiseason crews at the labor camp where I bunked was on 'Big Bar', a sloping gravel bank in a large curve in the river. The canyon wall was so steep, that by about 4:30 the sun would move below that section of directly lighting the banks/river/parbroiled labor crew.

There was an old mummified apple orchard there, with tree long dead. Still, some of the trailers were laid out in a rough pattern under some of those dehydrated sticks.

More than once I saw a thermometer hanging on a branch, in the shade of a trailer, reading above 125*....once memorable day I saw 132*. Somehow these were never regarded as 'real' measurements.

Unsure how the day crew managed the heat of the day, I was on graveyard shift. Regardless of the radiation activity of the day, by 0300 until about 0900 it could be very pleasant.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
GLOBAL WARMING!!!!!!!!!!!

That right there is all the evidence you need.

Didn't I just read recently that a new lowest temperature ever recorded on earth was measured in Antarctica a few days ago?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Or a half-fucked fox in a forest fire.

Ummm, Shugart...Which half? It could be important.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Hotter than hell here too, BTW. Been that way since the end of winter, it was a two day switch over. ;-)

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Felt 119 in Baghdad.

Like breathing in a dry sauna.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Britain would burst into flames

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9980036344

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post