SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why do we do car emissions tests anymore?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do we do car emissions tests anymore? Login/Join 
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavyd:
Maybe partly because some will take emission control parts off, like catalytic converters.

I know many cars (even older ones) will still easily pass the smog test without a catalytic converter. They might only fail if the tester looks and sees it missing.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
you get to pay an extra $12 or so every year if you have tint.

I have to ask... what's the reasoning behind that?

God bless America.

Posts: 13428 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
will still easily pass the smog test without a catalytic converter.

Here the test is just a plug in to your OBDII to read codes. No codes you pass. If you just reset the system it can tell and they will make you bring it back after driving so many miles.

Funny thing though have an older Acura TL where the OBDII plug is behind a plastic cover on the dash below the radio. They never plug into it. The tester always calls over a supervisor that types something into the computer and I get a you passed.

I think they are afraid to let their employees remove a part of the dash for fear of breaking something.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Indiana did away with emission tests about 10 years ago. Pretty good state, lifetime carry permits, picture voter id, signatures and paper ballots that leave a trail.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mississippi has never had emissions testing. We did have so called safety inspections. Not much was inspected for a five dollar fee. They finally eliminated that. I will say there are a lot of cars with no bumper and one headlight. Not many tickets are written for that. When I lived in Illinois and Wisconsin those cars were pulled over in a heartbeat. Mississippi tends to have few regulations.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom229:
We (Washington State) stopped last year I believe.

Which is fucking amazing if you ask me. The only thing green about the whole thing was the money The Man was making. The state, especially this one, giving up a revenue stream? Bonkers.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Never had it tested. It is not required at all in MO.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
17 counties in Texas require emissions testing via OBDII check. My last car was a 96 Nissan 240sx, pre computer so I had to take it to someone with a dyno.

The worst part about Texas is the corresponding safety check. I get not wanting unsafe vehicles out there, but it's the ticky tack shit they would point out that was a PITA. I got dinged once for some power steering fluid residue on the hose by the reservoir, I had done a flush and must've spilled just a little. It obviously wasn't leaking but that was enough to fail inspection, so I literally had to go home, clean it off, and return for a free re-test. The 240 also failed for a broken parking light that got crushed when some jackwagon backed into it, which was just a running light next to the headlight. It's not even on the list of items that are required to be checked. Had to find one on ebay or something and finagle it in there. Dumb.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
In some states, certain counties are tested as part of a consent decree with the EPA when that county’s air quality is bad for a certain number of days per year. Even if the state wanted to ditch the testing, they can’t without inviting a federal fine. In Utah we have cold inversions that cause smog. We would have them if there were no vehicles on the road. We will never see the end of testing, IMO.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:

I expect it’s to offset the cost of the tiny meter the inspection station (private businesses registered with the state) has to buy. They actually check the level, 35% being the limit.

And it gets them an extra twelve bucks. I think they get to keep it.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Talk about a scam.

They used to have the Air Team (maybe they still do) in Illinois. They got those "techs" straight from the halfway house. Fucking morons were more concerned with finding a radio station than "testing."

If you failed, they would give you a list of "approved" repair facilities.

Posts: 13049 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VA, at least northern VA, even inspects diesels, at least for 100,000 miles. Here in NC we do a safety only on your brand new F250. The biggest crock was the undercover inspectors who went around to new car dealers trying to trap the techs doing inspections. What a bunch of assholes.

Posts: 1638 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:
will still easily pass the smog test without a catalytic converter.

Here the test is just a plug in to your OBDII to read codes. No codes you pass. If you just reset the system it can tell and they will make you bring it back after driving so many miles.

Funny thing though have an older Acura TL where the OBDII plug is behind a plastic cover on the dash below the radio. They never plug into it. The tester always calls over a supervisor that types something into the computer and I get a you passed.

I think they are afraid to let their employees remove a part of the dash for fear of breaking something.

On an older Porsche 911 that's pre-OBD2, they use the sniffer up the tail pipe.
Sometimes the car may be in "test mode" so a test pipe (straight pipe) is installed instead of the Cat. It passes the sniffer smog test with flying colors. I think it's all about the $29 the state wants. The results don't actually matter.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Az. only Pima and Maracopa Co. have to go through emissions testing every year. The newer cars test via OBDll port, and the older ones hit the dyno for a cruse and idle sniff test. The state just last year added an additional $32 to each car for some sort of BS. The '72(I think) and older cars do not test.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:

I expect it’s to offset the cost of the tiny meter the inspection station (private businesses registered with the state) has to buy. They actually check the level, 35% being the limit.

And it gets them an extra twelve bucks. I think they get to keep it.

Ehhh... I kinda can see that. Sort of.
But the stubborn guy in me asks, "I buy a car and tint the windows, once. Then I've got to pay the state for that tint every year? It's not like it changes, wears, fades, or causes damage to other things."

Twelve bucks isn't a hill to die on, though. I s'pose I'd grouch about it for a day (probably inspection day) and go on about life.

God bless America.

Posts: 13428 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
It is a tax on driving, nothing more.

Posts: 3496 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post