SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why do we do car emissions tests anymore?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do we do car emissions tests anymore? Login/Join 
Banned
posted
Most states today no longer test older vehicles. I have a 2018 Toyota HL. Just got my plate renewal but has to go in for the test first. The old polluters are no longer even required to be tested. The VAST majority of the cars that have to be tested do not pollute according to the site I take my car to. What a waste of time and $$. Once a government program starts it never ends.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
Maybe partly because some will take emission control parts off, like catalytic converters.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Income generator for the state. For example, the state sets up a emission test program through independent test facilities. Facility has to be licensed. License fee to the state. State gets a portion of the test fee, balance goes to the test facility. At tax time that balance now is considered income, taxed.

Persons performing the test usually has to be licensed or certified. Licensing fee to the state, again, testing employee in some cases gets a portion of the charge collected by the business, at tax time, personal income.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I'm in one of the few counties left in Ohio that does emissions testing. We don't pay for it (they scam some other way to get paid) and it's stupid. I will have to start getting my car tested (it's a 2018).

The state legislators made sure to make sure their county didn't have to be tested. It's basically just Cleveland and surrounding area now that have to be tested.

I really want to remove my catalytic converter so I can boost my hp. Smile

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
In my state they stopped emissions testing 2009 and newer back in 2009. In 2020 they stopped all emissions testing.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavyd:
Maybe partly because some will take emission control parts off, like catalytic converters.

I would if we didn't have testing. I'd like to get down pipes for my car, but it will make it fail emissions.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'm glad we don't, because my engine light has been on for three years. Razz It's a torque converter lockup problem that I don't feel like chasing down and has nothing to do with emissions (other than 1-1.5 mpg loss). But you won't pass if it is on. And it doesn't do any good to clear the code(s) and light and head straight over to the testing center before it comes back on. They've got that covered.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Emissions ?
Never had to, New Mexico is mostly free of emissions testing.
I think just Albuquerque area gets tested and maybe in Santa Fe Smile

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
My 91 land Cruiser gets it's pipes sniffed every two years, no visual inspection. OBD1
The 69 Blazer I had before it didn't get anything.
I think 1975 and older is exempt.

My 2018 Accord just gets plugged into, no test is performed.
No codes and it passes.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
I would also imagine the state’s legislature or state’s EPA would have to repeal emissions law. As we all know that’s a political mess.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most states today no longer test older vehicles. The old polluters are no longer even required to be tested.

How old is too old to be tested?
My 1999 Chevy Tahoe has to pass emissions if I want to renew the plate in St. Louis County.
But some counties in MO don't require emissions testing at all. Go figure.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
In Ohio they used the Tobacco settlement money to fund the testing. Like Chowser says there probably isn’t 10 counties out of 88 that get tested. If I lived a mile down the road I wouldn’t need it. But to be fair, in the next county, there sure are some junkers on the road. But it’s a poor county, and full of drugs so maybe that’s part of it.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
In California, they began with a system in which you had to pay for an emissions test AND the resulting certificate that provided evidence that your vehicle did, indeed, pass the test. You would then send your certificate along with your registration fee to the DMV.

Since the Internet has become so prevalent, there is no certificate anymore - the results of your emissions test are just sent directly to the DMV. But, guess what - we still have to pay an additional $8.00 for the certificate even though no certificate exists.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Why would they stop? They pass the cost off on the garage owner and car owner.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone greased the proper palms in Missouri several years ago. They built a bunch of stand alone testing sights specifically for emissions testing and a couple years later they were all shut down and stand abandoned.

Now they just plug into the OBD port in your car. So as long as your car isn't throwing a code for emissions you pass which is a total joke because you can lose your catalytic converters and through tuning or using MIL eliminators your car will not throw an emissions code and you will pass despite having horrible real world emissions.

It's mostly a money grab pure and simple. A two year old car doesn't need to be tested.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
We (Washington State) stopped last year I believe.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
You think that's bad, read this:

In California we do smog tests every-other year. Also, the car pool lanes here are open to Ultra Low Emissions Vehicles (ULEVs) (you know, like a Prius).

ULEVs are, logically, defined by the emissions of the vehicle.

Well one year, when I had my GTO smogged, I noted the emission numbers and also noted, my LS1 engine burned cleaner than a Prius two tests in a row. Sooo, I contacted the DMV for my car pool sticker as a ULEV.

Talk about some heads bursting in CA - a Pontiac GTO burning cleaner than the Prius.

DMV and I go round and round to include two additional tests ($39 a pop) at two different licensed test facilities they directed me to. 18 months later, the DMV agrees however, since my next smog check was due in six months, I was told to wait until then, get the car smogged and, resubmit.

Next time I get it smogged, the emission numbers are no longer provided, only a pass/fail and because they no longer provide the numbers, only those vehicles designated as ULEV by the manufacturer are provided that sticker.

How's that for some BS!!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
In NC not only do we do the vehicle inspection (a check engine light fails), but you get to pay an extra $12 or so every year if you have tint. And if it’s illegal they aren’t supposed to pass it.

I think 35 years? is the cut off. At that point you can register as an antique or something and you have a flat tax fee and no inspections. Something like that.

Not all counties do the emissions, but all have inspections. Then you have to pay the registration and taxes together. My Jeep is up and I think it’s around $300 for tax/registration plus the $35 or so for inspection with tint surcharge.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would you have to pay for tint. What a crock.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Some years back we went to a dyno system that cost shop owners an obscene amount of money to have installed. Lots of places couldn't swing it and had to give up doing inspections. Then not all that many years later they dropped it. "Oh well, too bad for you."

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post