SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Arghh - Computer advice needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arghh - Computer advice needed Login/Join 
posted
Somehow, I have downloaded an annoying pop up that wants me to "clean up 447 issues" with my Mac. Two questions for you computer gurus - 1) How do I get rid of this pesky thing and 2) do I ever need to "clean" my computer?

He Is No Fool Who Gives What He Cannot Keep,
To Gain That Which He Cannot Lose!

Posts: 593 | Location: central nebraska | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Reverting to an earlier restore point and running Malwarebytes are my first 2 steps.

ETA, if you installed a program that is causing this have you uninstalled it?

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
No, you don't need to clean your Mac.

You never mentioned which browser you use, so I'll assume it's Safari. You can probably get it by clearing your cache.

First close Safari, then select Go->Go to Folder, or press Shift/Cmd/G simultaneously on the keyboard. Enter the location to the library folder ~/Library/ and click "Go". Find the Caches subfolder, click it then find the folder "com.apple.Safari". Delete its contents and then empty your trash, then relaunch Safari.

See if this gets it fixed.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Sorry, totally skipped the Mac part.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post