SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple iPhone 12 unveiled
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple iPhone 12 unveiled Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
But making it a USB C only cord??? Who the hell has a wall charger that takes usb c?? All mime are standard usb.

Again, you can still use your current wall charger, it just won't charge as fast as the new devices are capable of. Presumably no slower than current rate of charge, but the new battery with greater capacity may take longer elapsed time.

Am I missing something. Every wall charger I own is a USB type A. I do not have a wall charger that takes a USB C.

Is this assuming you have an iphone 11? Did that include a USB C wall plug?

What I meant was you could use your old Type A charger and old USB-A to Lighting cord.

Or get one of the nifty wireless chargers for wherever your phone lives overnight if battery life is as good as they say.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Pre-ordered a 12. Basically free with the credit from ATT when I trade in an 8. I'm currently on the 11 (which I love). My daughter has an 8, and I'll be giving her my 11, upgrading to the 12, and trading in her (basically new).

I dig the new blue color.

Posts: 3015 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
I preordered a blue 128GB iPhone 12 this morning. I’d considered waiting for the 12 mini next month but I wanted a bigger screen and better battery life. Considering the fact that it’s just a little bit taller than the 11 Pro and almost an ounce lighter, it shouldn’t be too bad in the pocket.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Looks like it dropped the price of the refurb X so that's what I'll likely upgrade to next.
Just wait a bit if you can and the iPhone 11 and 11 Pro will both be discounted. They're a much better option that the X. Heck, I've even contemplated buying a 11 Pro when they're discounted after being on Android for the past 6-7 years. Oh the terror! Eek Razz

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
5G capability is the reason that I’ll buy one. The only Internet connection I have for my laptop is my iPhone hotspot. That’s where 5G will make a great difference.
Unless you live in one of the few places in the country that has strong, consistent, 5G available, I'd say some of the other upgrades to the 12 would be more reason to buy one. 5G is going to be a long slog before its readily available to the much of the country (think like 2-3 years).

[Me] A long-time Sprint mobile customer, I’m now a T-Mobile customer as a result of the merger. This site shows T-Mobile 5G coverage in any specified location:

https://maps.t-mobile.com/5g.h...metro-5g&language=en

Very good coverage in my San Diego area. It’ll get even better over time. [/Me]

Also, make sure to budget a few addition bucks to buy a cord and charger for it given Apple is no longer including them with the phone.
[Me] I’m an Apple guy and have plenty of cords and chargers. And AirPods too! [/Me]

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fwbulldog:
Pre-ordered a 12. Basically free with the credit from ATT when I trade in an 8. I'm currently on the 11 (which I love). My daughter has an 8, and I'll be giving her my 11, upgrading to the 12, and trading in her (basically new).

I dig the new blue color.

LOLOLOL IF only Verizon was so generous. I just checked and it you trade in an Iphone XS, you get like $400 off the $1000 price of the pro or normal iphone 12. I'll keep my xs for the time being as it's still flawless I just passed the 2 year mark with it, which is a record for me since I work in a very wet, salty, environment.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im looking to switch to apple from samsung. Im pissed there are no deals to switch brands. Apple gives all the trade in discounts and deals to apple users. Why are they backwards from every other company that wants to switch to their product.

All the carriers have bonus trade in values but only if you have an iphone.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Im looking to switch to apple from samsung. Im pissed there are no deals to switch brands. Apple gives all the trade in discounts and deals to apple users. Why are they backwards from every other company that wants to switch to their product.

Part of it, that I’ve learned from managing our company’s mobile devices, is that no one (NO ONE) wants used or old Android devices. I’ve had to recycle or toss some decent Galaxy phones because no one wants them, except maybe the armed forces.

It’s almost impossible to get rid of used Android devices.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s almost impossible to get rid of used Android devices.

This. Androids have a “shelf life” if you will. My IPhone 4s still works.

Android phones are fantastic for their feature set and open ecosystem but I think that open ecosystem plays against them long term through bloatware, poor apps, folks monkeying with their phones etc.

Apple devices are closed ecosystem boring ass “refrigerators”. The upside is they tend to work and be viable and desireable for a long time.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Samsung is basically buying market share in offering incentives for people to switch. Apple doesn’t need to

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Just wait a bit if you can and the iPhone 11 and 11 Pro will both be discounted. They're a much better option that the X. Heck, I've even contemplated buying a 11 Pro when they're discounted after being on Android for the past 6-7 years. Oh the terror! Eek Razz

I sure can. I've been using my 7 for about 2 years now, 2 years is about what I expect from most phones as I buy older models.

Nothing wrong with my 7 but going to a bigger screen would be nice.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Anker has a usb c wall charger for $20 on Amazon if anyone is looking. No need to buy a macbook charger. Lol. I’m going to wait for the iPhone 14. Maybe 5g will be in my area by then.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Anker has a usb c wall charger for $20 on Amazon if anyone is looking. No need to buy a macbook charger. Lol. I’m going to wait for the iPhone 14. Maybe 5g will be in my area by then.
I may get flamed but here goes anyway. I think its piss poor to be asked to pay $700+ for a phone that is unusable as sold. Whether you have an old charger or have to buy a new one, I still think its taking advantage of the customer to put a few additional dollars on Apple's bottom line.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Work upgraded me to the 11 pro about 3 months ago and it has been an excellent device. My previous XS was great, but the new phone outshines it in every category, especially battery life and photo quality. Maybe the new 12 will be the bees knees, but if I were in the market in the next few months I’d be looking hard at the 11 pro when the prices inevitably drop.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
With the trade in of an X and 5 years loyalty promo, we got $615 in credits on each of our 3 year old phones. Nice deal, but the trick is you have to stick with Sprint (or Tmobile) because it is given to you as a monthly credit on your bill.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still think its taking advantage of the customer to put a few additional dollars on Apple's bottom line.

You haven't been paying attention - it's to save the planet! Saves a zillion cubic mm on shipping pallets to ship, 10 zillion carbon credits to not make. I'll dig up the articles later, but a quick search will show this. Well, maybe without the zillions.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If you are an AT&T customer, they evidently have a screaming deal on trade ins. Iphone 8 or later is essentially an $800 credit on the base 64gb 12. Basically, the 12 is free if you can live with 64gb. More storage or the Pro is only a little more expensive. My wife and daughter have 8 max phones and I have an XS. The offer ends soon, so we might be jumping on it.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IPhone 12 Pro inbound to replace my old Iphone 6....that's now obsolete, on its second battery and occasionally overheats and locks up.

Time for a change...going with 256gb too for years of extra storage capacity.

Pricey, but should be the last cell phone I ever need.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
If you are an AT&T customer, they evidently have a screaming deal on trade ins. Iphone 8 or later is essentially an $800 credit on the base 64gb 12. Basically, the 12 is free if you can live with 64gb. More storage or the Pro is only a little more expensive. My wife and daughter have 8 max phones and I have an XS. The offer ends soon, so we might be jumping on it.

Hopefully the offer is still there when they start preorders for the Pro Max. I thought I heard they dropped it down to $700, though. Still, it’s a hefty chunk off the price. Although I’ve been with AT&T for many years, this would be the first time on their installment plan.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Haven’t bought a new phone since 6 Plus

But the battery is swollen and need to replace. Thinking of the 11. 6+ has no trade in value.

Seems like price incentives no longer exist with 2 year contracts? So without trade in, does one just pay full price now? Do they ever go on sale? Holidays?

Or is 11 pricing basically static for the next year or so? I assume it’s already discounted with the 12 now available.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post