SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple iPhone 12 unveiled
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple iPhone 12 unveiled Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“Apple has officially unveiled the new iPhone 12…

The smartphone is designed with rounded edges that look similar to the iPad Pro and boasts 5G cellular connectivity - the biggest upgrad to the smartphone.

This allows the device to access Verizon’s 5G ultrawide band, which is the fastest system in the world with over 4 gigabytes per second, according to Apple.

The iPhone 12 also includes a ceramic shield that the firm says is 'tougher than any smartphone glass.'

The new addition is 'virtually impervious to heat and electricity' and makes it more resistant if dropped…”

https://mol.im/a/8835117

The article says that the “12” has round edges, but the photos show flat edges, a change that I applaud. 5G capability is the reason that I’ll buy one. The only Internet connection I have for my laptop is my iPhone hotspot. That’s where 5G will make a great difference. There’s also an iPhone 12 Pro model that has 3 lenses. It appears that the plain iPhone 12 has only 2.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
What would really impress me is if they finally started producing their products in the USA. The average user I don’t think will be able to tell much of a difference with 5G...for those folks that “must” stream movies and sports I suppose. I can tell you that the tower builders have been stupid busy as there are at least 6 within 2-3 miles of where I live.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
What would really impress me is if they finally started producing their products in the USA. The average user I don’t think will be able to tell much of a difference with 5G...for those folks that “must” stream movies and sports I suppose. I can tell you that the tower builders have been stupid busy as there are at least 6 within 2-3 miles of where I live.

I don't think I would like to pay twice the amount.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
:Yawn:

The very limit areas of 5G I have no use for.

Now the pacific blue color is nice looking.

I'll stick with my current crap-ple crap. No reason to give them any more $$$.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
.... I can tell you that the tower builders have been stupid busy as there are at least 6 within 2-3 miles of where I live.

You must live in a large metro area... The rest of us will have to wait a couple of years until we get access to 5G...I have been really disappointed with the big 3 carriers all trying to get you to switch to their platform touting their 5G service but the coverage area is only about 5% of the country

I have been holding on to an iPhone 6 hoping to get on the 5G bandwagon but there is no reason to buy one unless you live in an area that has it...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
“Apple has officially unveiled the new iPhone 12…
This allows the device to access Verizon’s 5G ultrawide band, which is the fastest system in the world with over 4 gigabytes per second, according to Apple.

I wouldn't hold your breath for access to "ultrawide band" (mmWave), which uses higher frequencies. This means it travels much shorter distances, is subject more to obstacles, and requires carriers to erect many more cell towers to accommodate the distance limitation.

Verizon just announced "nationwide" 5g, which is the longer reaching frequency (lower frequency) 5g, but Verzion footnoted that by saying in most areas consumers won't see much improvement in speeds over 4g for some time. BTW, "nationwide" apparently has an industry definition of reaching 200 million people coast to coast.

Since you live in a relatively major market, you might see ultrawide band earlier than some, if there is a tower near you. But regular 5g should give you some improvement.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The 12 mini has me a tiny excited. I have lamented the fact that phones have gotten bigger and bigger and this is coming from somebody who uses the heck out of their phone for browsing and whatnot.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

The article says that the “12” has round edges, but the photos show flat edges

They went back to the design of the old iPhone 4/5/original SE with that flat metal band around the entire edge which IIRC is all antenna?

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I’m looking at the 12 Pro for the photo capabilities; the Max offers a marginal improvement in zoom capability, at this point I don’t see putting up with the bigger size to get that.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
The cameras keep improving. I find I use my iPhone 11 Pro more for photos and my Nikon D7200 less. While the Nikon offers lots of options a iPhone doesn't, I always have my phone with me.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Well, I haven't upgraded my phone in like 5 or 6 years, so I will likely move on the iPhone 12. It will be my switch to Apple, mostly because everywhere work and home is Apple ecosystem, so my dying Android just doesn't cut the mustard anymore.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I just wish the iPhone 12 'mini' was actually, well, mini...

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Though I detest Google--not that the villainy that runs Apple is any less libtard--I'll probably be an Android slave for life. But I always like seeing what the walled garden is doing just the same. My 4 yr old Samsung is showing its age; its battery is still strong but there's no longer enough onboard storage and memory for the bloat that comes with today's apps. I've probably give the new crop of iPhones a serious look but I strongly suspect I'll be going with one of the S20s (probably the FE). Even if their hardware is kind of cool and neat, The Apple Way of doing things just doesn't hold all that much appeal to me these days.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I’m looking at the 12 Pro for the photo capabilities; the Max offers a marginal improvement in zoom capability, at this point I don’t see putting up with the bigger size to get that.

I actually find myself wishing for more optical zoom so that interests me as well as the other Max only camera upgrades... but the size of that thing! Eek

The Max has a larger sensor with larger pixels, for less noise. It also has better image stabilization... and a "LiDAR scanner to offer up to 6x better autofocus performance for the cameras in low-light scenarios" The wide angle lens, along with the tele, gives a total of 5x optical zoom.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
....But I always like seeing what the walled garden is doing just the same......The Apple Way of doing things just doesn't hold all that much appeal to me these days.

Isn't competition a Wonderfull thing. It benefits everyone. I'm am Apple fan boy, along with all my extended family. My brother has been to Apple HQ twice on their dime for training as part of their distinguished educator program... but I will not be caught bashing Android. To each his own!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Apparently, Apple has decided not to include a charger or earbuds with the 12.

Those are sold separately.

I guess it's fine if you're already invested in the iPhone line and already have spares of those, but that smacks of a grab for more money. (Kinda like how they deleted the headphone port a few models ago, and began selling a separate headphone port adapter.)

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
I think I'll wait. Nothing here blows my skirt up.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently I have a Samsung S9+ which will be 3 years old and next year I plan on replacing it. I might look into the new iPhone 12 Pro. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Looks like Tmobile/Sprint is offering significant credits for trade ins and if you been a customer for 5 years. We've held onto our iPhones 3 years now. Time to move to another before issues develop. Probably go with a 12 Pro in the middle memory size.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I have an XS and will probably move on the 12 Pro. The photo lens will be a small upgrade to pay now, for as many pictures as I take of my kids, over the lifespan of my cell phones.

Looking forward to it actually.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post