SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple iPhone 12 unveiled
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple iPhone 12 unveiled Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I'm more excited for the chance to finally get one with more storage. I have to manage music and pictures on my 64gb model to allow it to still have room to operate. I think I'll go for the 256gb version this time.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I have a 7s that works just fine. I see no reason to trash a perfectly functional phone for a new one.

I feel the same way, even though my firm will pay for an "upgrade" anytime I make one. I've kept the 7S just to avoid the hassle of tweaking a new phone for all the settings, etc. that I have. With the way restore from backup works now, that's much less a hassle but still.

The main reason this iPhone 12 is the one I'll upgrade to is every indication is that the next iteration very likely will do away completely with the lighting port. I do NOT want that for a couple reasons, two main ones being I still have one car that doesn't even have Bluetooth which I plan to keep (see avatar) and others where I don't want to have to add in some wireless charging dock BS until absolutely necessary.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I'm more excited for the chance to finally get one with more storage. I have to manage music and pictures on my 64gb model to allow it to still have room to operate. I think I'll go for the 256gb version this time.

My XS Max is 256gb. I have about 2000 photos and 2000 songs on it, tons of apps. I still have 199gb left on it. I might downgrade to 128gb.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I feel the same way, even though my firm will pay for an "upgrade" anytime I make one. I've kept the 7S just to avoid the hassle of tweaking a new phone for all the settings, etc. that I have. With the way restore from backup works now, that's much less a hassle but still.

You don’t even have to do a restore from backup anymore. The last time I upgraded, the old phone put a swirling pattern on the screen. I showed the new phone the pattern, then set the phones next to each other for awhile, and the new phone was identical to the old one. Every setting, message, email, photo, voicemail. Everything. It couldn’t have been any easier.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Also, make sure to budget a few addition bucks to buy a cord and charger for it given Apple is no longer including them with the phone.

Slight correction. Apple is including a usb-c to lighting cord with the iphone 12. They have dropped the charger and corded earbuds.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-12/specs/

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page to the "In the Box" section.

I thought this was not a bad idea at first. Just give you the cable. Who needs the actual wall plug. I have thrown out more than I own.

But making it a USB C only cord??? Who the hell has a wall charger that takes usb c?? All mime are standard usb.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
But making it a USB C only cord??? Who the hell has a wall charger that takes usb c?? All mime are standard usb.

Again, you can still use your current wall charger, it just won't charge as fast as the new devices are capable of. Presumably no slower than current rate of charge, but the new battery with greater capacity may take longer elapsed time.

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I have a 7s that works just fine. I see no reason to trash a perfectly functional phone for a new one.

The main reason this iPhone 12 is the one I'll upgrade to is every indication is that the next iteration very likely will do away completely with the lighting port. I do NOT want that for a couple reasons, two main ones being I still have one car that doesn't even have Bluetooth which I plan to keep (see avatar) and others where I don't want to have to add in some wireless charging dock BS until absolutely necessary.

The 7 screen is horrible even in the difference between it and the X, the X and later screens (and camera's) are incredibly better. For that reason alone I was ecstatic going from a 7 to the XS when it came out......as for this one......my XS works fine and I'm not going to upgrade until I have a need to (cracked screen, weak battery, etc.).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Looks like it dropped the price of the refurb X so that's what I'll likely upgrade to next.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Looks like Tmobile/Sprint is offering significant credits for trade ins and if you been a customer for 5 years.
<snip>

I’ve been a Sprint mobile customer, continuously, since 1999. Now, as a result of the merger, I’m a new T-Mobile customer. I hope T-Mobile takes my Sprint service into account for this offer. I’ll ask.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spiff_P239:

The 12 Pro will actually be smaller than your XR due to the smaller bezels surrounding the screen. The 12 Pro Max is the only phone larger than what your currently have.

you think so? The XR is just a little bit too large for me. I hope you are right. If it's smaller bezels and thinner, I may just go with a 12 Pro 128Gb. I want a smaller phone, period. The XR is too large/heavy.

For ATT customers....ATT is offering $800 in credits on the new phones. I think $700 on the 12 mini, and $800 on the pros or regular 12. I upgrade every 2 years because there is always either an advertised thing like this, or unadvertised. My 2 year upgrades, I either make a profit, break even, or pay something like $100-150 to upgrade. Think used car, I'm managing the depreciation, extremely well. The caveat is if you qualify, IE don't have payments remaining on a phone nor have months or years left on your contract. And I think you have to be trading in a 7 or newer (you can look it up). The other caveat is this is a 30 month deal meaning your are signing on for 30 months with ATT. I've been with them over 20 years so for me the term is meaningless as I'm not leaving. I used to work for wireless way back in the day so I have some discounts, and some more discounts through my current position which keeps me there permanently.

I have a XR so ATT will give me $800 in credit towards the 12 pro or $700 for the mini. I'm contemplating the 128Gb Mini for $49, vs. the 12 pro 128Gb for $199. $150 decision. The 12 pro having more RAM, and larger battery is more important to me vs. the camera differences. I also need to find out more intel on the 5G bands between the 12 and 12 pro. There are supposed to be differences on the 5G portion of the phones.

Just like in years past, that $800 is pretty hard to ignore. It makes upgrading a no brainer because it incentivizes me to get the max resale value. I'm a business customer so they may offer me 24 months instead of 30. There are always unadvertised deals also. I just haven't made my usual calls to see what those are yet.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
For those wanting to compare physical size, weight, screen, etc. Apple has a site for that all the way back to the SE.

Linky

To Prefontaine - it looks like it's a tinnnnnny bit larger.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
For those wanting to compare physical size, weight, screen, etc. Apple has a site for that all the way back to the SE.

Linky

To Prefontaine - it looks like it's a tinnnnnny bit larger.

Thanks for that. The 12 pro is definitely a little bit smaller than my XR. Decisions decisions. The Mini vs Pro. The X was the perfect size to me.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
What really sounds interesting is the Mini, if it comes in at the same size as the SE and offeres at least 64 GB of memory I will be all over it.

If you go over to Macrumors.com you can find a size comparison of all of Apple's current phones. The iPhone 12 mini is in between the original iPhone SE (iPhone 5 size) and the latest iPhone SE (iPhone 6/7/8 size).

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I still use my iphone 5 everyday at home as a wifi device (on it's 5th battery). I'm glad to see a smaller option that is new.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:

Linky

Came here to post the photo, you beat me to it! Posting anyway...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I’ve got my alarm set for 4:45am so I can pre-order an iPhone 12 Pro.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Waiting 3 weeks to get the 12 Pro Max. Hopefully they will find some of the early bugs with the ones available for ordering today by then.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

For ATT customers....ATT is offering $800 in credits on the new phones. I think $700 on the 12 mini, and $800 on the pros or regular 12.

I really was not interested at all until I read this. Is this on their site? DO I have to call and ask for it?

Whole family is AT&T. Daughter with an 8, wife with 10 Max, me with 10. I would not complain about upgrading with those types of credits.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Again, you can still use your current wall charger, it just won't charge as fast as the new devices are capable of. Presumably no slower than current rate of charge, but the new battery with greater capacity may take longer elapsed time.

Am I missing something. Every wall charger I own is a USB type A. I do not have a wall charger that takes a USB C.

Is this assuming you have an iphone 11? Did that include a USB C wall plug?

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Looks like it dropped the price of the refurb X so that's what I'll likely upgrade to next.

I currently have the iPhone X and the only time that I had any problems since new was when I downloaded iOS 13.1, otherwise a great iPhone with a very good camera.

Thats where I always get sucked in when upgrading to the "new and improved camera" I always fall for that. Of course there will always be improvements in the camera tech, it's progress upgrading the features. In my experience of iPhone camera tech over the years is that even the older models were more than capable of taking great images if you do your part.

The iPhone 12 is an appealing phone loaded with great features admittedly but currently I just couldn't justify the upgrade, maybe the iPhone 14 or 15 I'll be ready Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post