SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple iPhone 12 unveiled
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple iPhone 12 unveiled Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Just purchased a One Plus 8t. Almost all the same features at $750.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Looks like Tmobile/Sprint is offering significant credits for trade ins and if you been a customer for 5 years. We've held onto our iPhones 3 years now. Time to move to another before issues develop. Probably go with a 12 Pro in the middle memory size.

Same with ATT. It makes the 12 mini a no cost upgrade or the Pro would be $200. I cannot decide between the two. I have a XR now that I got for nothing, similar deal, and I feel it's a bit too large. I really want to size it down because when I'm rigged up, subcompact, spare mag, knife, and flashlight at night, well I hate carrying the close to phablet phone with everything else. But I have a surveillance system at the house now and it is pretty handy checking the cameras. Maybe someone will have them in the store for comparison sake.

I use the phone for work, so I have to carry one. Personal use is almost all limited to comms, iPod/streaming music, and home automation. But when the carrier offers this at no cost I have to do it because they are giving me better resale value for the future. I'd be an idiot to turn it down.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Just purchased a One Plus 8t. Almost all the same features at $750.

Although I prefer Apple devices, the display on Android flagship phones are fantastic.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2659 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
5G capability is the reason that I’ll buy one. The only Internet connection I have for my laptop is my iPhone hotspot. That’s where 5G will make a great difference.
Unless you live in one of the few places in the country that has strong, consistent, 5G available, I'd say some of the other upgrades to the 12 would be more reason to buy one. 5G is going to be a long slog before its readily available to the much of the country (think like 2-3 years).

Also, make sure to budget a few addition bucks to buy a cord and charger for it given Apple is no longer including them with the phone.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I just wish the iPhone 12 'mini' was actually, well, mini...
Good god man, how small a phone do you want? The 12 Mini is smaller than the current SE which is already a very small phone.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I'm still using a 7 Plus. Specs on the 12 Pro Max look like the physical dimensions are virtually identical, but with an increase in screen size from 5.5" to 6.7", and infinitely better resolution. I'll take that, thank you very much!

Well, not until after college football season. I already have an Auburn case for this phone, and want to be able to wait until next fall for options for the new one! Razz

quote:
I just wish the iPhone 12 'mini' was actually, well, mini...

Looks about the same size as the iPhone 4 too, also a tiny Star Trek sized device. For the detail in current apps, mail, etc. I don't know why folks would want something that small.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Also, make sure to budget a few addition bucks to buy a cord and charger for it given Apple is no longer including them with the phone.

Slight correction. Apple is including a usb-c to lighting cord with the iphone 12. They have dropped the charger and corded earbuds.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-12/specs/

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page to the "In the Box" section.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Slight correction. Apple is including a usb-c to lighting cord with the iphone 12. They have dropped the charger and corded earbuds.
So far I've watched three unboxing videos on YouTube of the new 12 and not one of them came with a cord (or anything else) in the box. I wonder if this is some sort of last minute change, or if the phone does indeed come sans the cord and everything else. I'm sure someone here will upgrade to the 12 and let us know for sure.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
You can still use the old cords and chargers, you just won't get the speed-of-charge benefits of using the USB-C charger and cord.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll be preordering a 12 Max when the day comes. Kinda shocked that Verizon's "sorta 5G" is available in my tiny town. Nearest legit 5G is in parts of Boston, where I go maybe 1-2 times a year. It'll be a bit before that tech comes to the sticks.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have a 7s that works just fine. I see no reason to trash a perfectly functional phone for a new one.

It gets and sends phone calls. I can take pictures with it. I can send and receive emails.

All in all it’s an improvement over my old rotary phone.

Build it here in the US and I would consider an upgrade. In a heartbeat.

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to the 12 Mini. I like a phone that is, well, phone-sized and fits in a pocket neatly. I hate the trend of cell phones growing to the size of a small loaf of bread. If I want to watch basketball or surf the web for any length of time, I'll find a tablet or a computer.

Posts: 965 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Next unveiling they will drop the volume buttons, charging port, screen, and processor and will all be add on charges. The first camera aperture will be included but the extra three will be a slight $300 charge per aperture. They will no longer offer the “white privilege” color.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I have had the XS Max since January. I use it every waking minute of every day - navigating to my next appt, running price quotes, calling for appts and, when I'm not working, I use it for music. Mine has high mileage for being 10 mos. old. It is already slowing down. It's still under warranty, but I can't recreate any of its problems enough to show a tech at the Apple Store. But it is having issues. Since I'm a 1099 guy, I guess it's all a tax write off. Can't decide if I need to upgrade now or can make it until the next generation.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
You can still use the old cords and chargers, you just won't get the speed-of-charge benefits of using the USB-C charger and cord.

I use and LOVE the wireless charging... I just plop my phone down on the night stand every night... on the wireless pad... done!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been holding Apple stock since a week after 911, so I am personally very pleased with Apple. As for my phone, that is work provided so a reasonable upgrade will be at no cost. However if I decide to get the 12 Pro I'll have to pay the difference. Odds are I will not get the 12 Pro because I do NOT want any phone larger than my XR. What really sounds interesting is the Mini, if it comes in at the same size as the SE and offeres at least 64 GB of memory I will be all over it.

As for the camera, they are convenient but my primary camera is a Nikon D750 with zooms ranging between 12mm and 300mm.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I'm still using a 7 Plus. Specs on the 12 Pro Max look like the physical dimensions are virtually identical, but with an increase in screen size from 5.5" to 6.7", and infinitely better resolution. I'll take that, thank you very much!

I went from a 7 Plus to an 11 Pro Max. The 11 is slightly smaller than the 7 but has a much larger screen. If the 12 continues that characteristic, you should be quite happy.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
I've been holding Apple stock since a week after 911, so I am personally very pleased with Apple. As for my phone, that is work provided so a reasonable upgrade will be at no cost. However if I decide to get the 12 Pro I'll have to pay the difference. Odds are I will not get the 12 Pro because I do NOT want any phone larger than my XR. What really sounds interesting is the Mini, if it comes in at the same size as the SE and offeres at least 64 GB of memory I will be all over it.

As for the camera, they are convenient but my primary camera is a Nikon D750 with zooms ranging between 12mm and 300mm.

The 12 Pro will actually be smaller than your XR due to the smaller bezels surrounding the screen. The 12 Pro Max is the only phone larger than what your currently have.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Well, I for one am quite impressed. So much as new hone releases go, this one has a lot to offer. I will definitely get one. My debate now is the trade-off in size vs. camera features. I have wanted to down size in hone to enjoy in the pocket carry a little more (I wear dress slacks/suits, so smaller is better here). But I also like optical zoom, and feel that the quality of the camera brings a lot of value to my life in the thousands of pictures I shoot during any individual phone ownership.

Optical zoom has been great for me, which might push me to a larger 12 or 12 Pro. But boy that Mini is appealing...

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
This has to be a record! 2 pages and we don't have the usual haters jumping all over the tread. Nice

I will be looking into whatever deal I can get for a new one as well.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post