SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple iPhone 12 unveiled
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple iPhone 12 unveiled Login/Join 
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Haven’t bought a new phone since 6 Plus

But the battery is swollen and need to replace. Thinking of the 11. 6+ has no trade in value.

Seems like price incentives no longer exist with 2 year contracts? So without trade in, does one just pay full price now? Do they ever go on sale? Holidays?

Or is 11 pricing basically static for the next year or so? I assume it’s already discounted with the 12 now available.

You could try calling you carrier's retention dept and see what they will provide. From other folks, ATT was offering $450 off certain models but you agree to a 2 yr contract. Depending on your situation, this might be another option.

PS - the 11 and 10R have dropped in pricing already.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’ve been a long-time Sprint Mobile customer – now a recent T-Mobile customer as a result of the merger. I wondered if T-Mobile would count my Sprint history towards the service longevity requirement necessary to qualify for the iPhone 12 discount.

Every Tuesday I lunch at Shake Shack for the delish little Shack Burger. The T-Mobile store is adjacent, so I stopped in yesterday to ask. By George – yes, they do!

So I ordered an iPhone 12 Pro. $615 total cost reduction with the trade-in of my iPhone X. The 12 Pro will be shipped in the Nov 6-10 interval. T-Mobile has good 5G coverag in my 92122 neighborhood, as seen at this site:
www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map

The sole Internet connection for my MacBook Air is my iPhone hotspot. I expect that 5G will make that Internet connection much faster. There may be other benefits of 5G too – I’ll see…

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
iPhone 12 Pro you say? I will drive my 7+ till the wheels fall off it.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Got my new phone yesterday, no iphone 12 or anything, it's a OnePlus 8T. $750 with almost all the features of the 12, biggest compromise being in the camera department, but I'm willing to trade off there for an Android which is much cheaper, has a flat screen and finger print reader vs facial recognition. Got her charging up right now and my sunflower case is getting delivered today, the only case I could get with one or two day shipping since the phone is still in pre-order status. I'll swap the case out in a week or two when new cases are available.

I use an iphone for my work phone I can't stand it. I don't know how you guys use those things, but enjoy your new phones when they arrive.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It’s not that I like iPhone more. It’s that I hate google magnitudes more than apple. Samsung phones have very nice features. But I avoid google as much as reasonably possible.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I’ve been a long-time Sprint Mobile customer – now a recent T-Mobile customer as a result of the merger. I wondered if T-Mobile would count my Sprint history towards the service longevity requirement necessary to qualify for the iPhone 12 discount.

Every Tuesday I lunch at Shake Shack for the delish little Shack Burger. The T-Mobile store is adjacent, so I stopped in yesterday to ask. By George – yes, they do!

So I ordered an iPhone 12 Pro. $615 total cost reduction with the trade-in of my iPhone X. The 12 Pro will be shipped in the Nov 6-10 interval. T-Mobile has good 5G coverag in my 92122 neighborhood, as seen at this site:
www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map

The sole Internet connection for my MacBook Air is my iPhone hotspot. I expect that 5G will make that Internet connection much faster. There may be other benefits of 5G too – I’ll see…

I got the same deal through Sprint. Even though we are now Tmobile, it is still separate as Sprint. Even on the Sprint network with unlimited roaming on Tmobile. The credits apply a little different between Sprint and Tmobile.

We have one new phone due at the beginning of November and one due around December - both were priority orders. The only difference was color.

Sprint was positioned best of all companies for the middle frequencies of the 5G LTE spectrum, which Tmobile now gets to use. These are supposed to be the most useful balance of speed, coverage and penetration in buildings.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Now that I’m convinced that Google and everything associated with it is evil and is destroying our civilization, I would never buy and Android phone. Latest: Google search cannot be deleted on an Android. Everything Google does is for Google’s benefit. You are the product.

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Now that I’m convinced that Google and everything associated with it is evil and is destroying our civilization, I would never buy and Android phone. Latest: Google search cannot be deleted on an Android. Everything Google does is for Google’s benefit. You are the product.

Well if we're derailing to the point of iPhone vs the world, one reason I use an iPhone is because iMessage is more secure than standard texting.

My coworker routinely pulls texts for phone numbers from the open platform/servers on Verizon and the rest. He showed me conversations between coworkers that were illicit and disgusting for people who are both married, and not to each-other. Before that, I had no idea how easy it was for standard text messages to be scooped up by any old schmuck with a laptop and some google-fu.

Not that I have anything to hide, but it's none of anyone's goddamn business what I say to anyone I iMessage with.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
What a comical argument. Google, Apple, Amazon, Facebook, Twitter. They all are destroying the country. We can debate how much more Google is doing it than Apple, or Twitter over Facebook, but the reality is none of them give a damn about us and all have a bloodlust for power and control at the cost of what has always made America great. Debating supporting one over the other is simply silly.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
5 pages. That's probably a new record. If only you guys could find a forum dedicated to this sort of back and forth. It's like the debates; nobody is changing their mind so stop with the shouting!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
It’s always interesting to see people come in to the iPhone threads and talk about other brands of phones. Great entertainment.....

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
It’s always interesting to see people come in to the iPhone threads and talk about other brands of phones. Great entertainment.....
Hey, I'm just thankful there's been no...Apple sucks...Android sucks...commentary. Smile

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
quote:

It took longer than usual to happen in this thread.

My new 12 pro is on its way.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
My new 12 pro is on its way.
Bob

I went back and forth on the Pro since I posted early in this thread. I ended up going with the standard 12.

Come back and post your thoughts once you get it! Smile

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
Come back and post your thoughts once you get it! Smile
^^^This. Hopefully as users here get their new phones they'll check back in and share likes and dislikes. I've watched a couple more YouTube reviews of the phone, and it seems the 12 is more an evolution of the 11 than bringing anything revolutionary to the table. So far most online reviewers are really digging the changes/upgrades.

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
My 12 should arrive tomorrow, but I think I'll be camping. Frown

I have an XS, so I'm not expecting to be "wowed", but I'm still excited nonetheless. I'll try to give some feedback when I'm able to migrate to it on Sunday.

Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I was an Apple hater for a long time. But I am an iTunes slave due to my large library and band work. I just could not make the switch to Android. I have had some iPhones take a dump right after the warranty expired. One time the Apple Store gave me a nice discount on a new one and then months later sent me a refund check for that. So I started liking them more then. My XS Max has been great since I got it in Jan., but it does get a little squirrely nowadays. I really do use it all day every day and need something reliable. But now I'm sucked in with a MacBook Pro and iPad Pro. So they have me.

Posts: 3532 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

Guilty. I did just because I'm excited about my new toy. Got it set up yesterday heading out to get 5g sim card shortly. Can't wait to play with it.

I'm easily amused like a little kid with a new toy, it's been two years since I've had a new one, I want to see how the camera performs. My iPhone is already 5g, not impressed with the coverage or the speed. Hopefully TMobile does 5g better than AT&T does.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

Guilty. I did just because I'm excited about my new toy. Got it set up yesterday heading out to get 5g sim card shortly. Can't wait to play with it.

I'm easily amused like a little kid with a new toy, it's been two years since I've had a new one, I want to see how the camera performs. My iPhone is already 5g, not impressed with the coverage or the speed. Hopefully TMobile does 5g better than AT&T does.

Which work iPhone do you have? ATT has been using fake 5GE for awhile now and they've been mocked and I believe sued for the false advertising. I haven't taken the jump into a 12 yet.. still debating if I'd want to pay extra for the new 5G plans on ATT, LTE works fine for me.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Glad to see the new 12s hit the market. I'm currently running an X and it's been rock solid since day one. I tend to hold on to my phones as long as possible. My previous phone was a iPhone 4 (not even a 4S Eek) so I'm likely to hang on to the X until they come out with the 16.

Eventually, I will probably need to replace the battery. Just wondering, how big of deal is that? I live in relatively close proximity to an Apple store. Can they replace the battery while you wait or is it a big hairy assed deal to get a new battery?

I also really like the OEM Apple silicone cases. I'm not one to put my iPhone in an Otterbox and make it as big as a walkie talkie. To me the Apple silicone cases may not be the most bullet proof military grade case available, but they do one thing very well. They provide a good grip, thereby making it far less likely for it to slip out of your hand in the first place.

For those getting the new 12s who are like me and plan to keep them a long time and also like the Apple cases, I highly recommend getting several cases because Apple tends to discontinue them as a new model is on the horizon of being released.

As far as the new 12 goes, I really like the features overall. I like that the pro models have a stainless steel chassis instead of aluminum. One of the features I like is the magnetic back. They are apparently coming out with a magnetic ear pod holder that will snap on the back of the phone and charge the ear buds.

I am looking forward to a new iPad Pro with the new display they're talking about. I also recommend buying Apple stock. They have done well in recent years and they pay regular dividends.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post