Picture of dwd1985
posted
Null

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dwd1985,

Posts: 4455 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I would probably use two fans. One to blow from living room into hallway and second from hallway into bedroom.

I'm curious, what was the reasoning behind blowing the hot air towards the living room instead of cold air towards the bedroom?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
My apartment unfortunately doesn't have central air. Instead I have two window mounted a/c's at the "front". The bedroom leads off of this main room through a doorway, but this bedroom has no other means of getting air. It has no windows and leads to a bathroom, also with no windows. THis isnt the best for air circulation so I frequently keep a large box fan in the main room (the room with the a/c) and blow cool air into the bedroom. However, some have suggested I set up the box fan inside the room and blow the warm air out. Any recommendations?

I would blow air in. If you blow air out of the bedroom it's quite possible heat from the windows and exterior will get sucked in with it......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
No windows in a bedroom? I thought that was a code violation? For fire safety?

I'm really don't know, but I question.

I'm pretty sure that's illegal here.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I would blow the cold air in with the box fan at floor level.

The air at floor level should be cooler then the air near the ceiling so blowing the lower air in might cause the forced outflow to be the higher, warmer air.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3850 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I would probably use two fans. One to blow from living room into hallway and second from hallway into bedroom.

I'm curious, what was the reasoning behind blowing the hot air towards the living room instead of cold air towards the bedroom?

There is only one doorway, it would be impossible to use two fans, because they would simply blow right at one another. THe only entrance to the "hot" room is the doorway. There are no windows or additional doors leading to it. Air can either be blown in or blown out, but not both.

Also, the reasoning was to suck hot air out of the room, have it be cooled by the a/c, and then let it flow back in naturally.

I assumed there was a hallway between main room and bedroom. Guess I need to read better. If no hallway I'd go with blowing cold to hot.

I'd use something like this. to move more air. Or if you want to really move air, something like this. The second one would be a little loud at night time though. It's a floor dryer and can be angled at 45 degrees too. They are used for floods and move serious air. The first one is more like a homeowner model.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
I would blow the cold air in with the box fan at floor level.

The air at floor level should be cooler then the air near the ceiling so blowing the lower air in might cause the forced outflow to be the higher, warmer air.

This^^^^

Unless there extenuating circumstances we don't know.
No brainer, fan is on the floor, cooler (slightly) air is on the floor.
Fan blowing into the bedroom works with the natural flow. Blowing out would buck the natural flow.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the fan blows out of the bedroom; the heat created by the fan motor will also get blown out of the bedroom.

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'd leave the bathroom fan on to pull air into and through the space. Then arrange outside air to be introduced at the other end of the apartment (probably out of your control, but "perfect world ...".

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
This is what you really need. A plus is with this you can leave the loud fan in the other room.

http://www.globalindustrial.co...eet-flexible-ducting

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post