SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cabin Owners. How to Prevent Humidly Problems Long Term?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cabin Owners. How to Prevent Humidly Problems Long Term? Login/Join 
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted
As per the title; how do you prevent humidly problems long term?

I'm looking at building a very modest cabin on my property in Northwest Pennsylvania. I will likely only be in NWPA once a year or so during the summer with an occasional deer season/winter trip as well. The building will eventually be insulated and a natural wood paneling installed on the inner walls. There will be mattresses and a couple of futons but otherwise no upholstery. I've seen what can happen to a building without heat and/or people to deal with things before they become a problem and I really don't want that to happen.

I'm thinking along the lines of solar powered vents and/or dehumidifiers but I was wondering what those who are dealing with these issues first hand are doing. Thanks in advance for your help. Smile

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You’ll want to keep the humidity below 60% relative. Easier said than done, especially for a building that is subject to the outside elements. Dehu’s will certainly help, just make sure they have a constant drain and not a set up that shuts off when the pan is full.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Insects and varmints will also be issues. Insulation and 4' eaves with vented soffits and gable vents will help. Also your foundation construction type will have and impact. If it is going to be a real basic rough cabin it will be tough. If you use more current construction techniques you can reduce the affect even if offgrid.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
We have one of these running at all times we're away with a short hose draining to shower in an uninsulated lake cabin with sketchy windows from the 60’s. Use it in main part of cabin when we are there, this is on a lake in southern AL so the humidity is intense. With this I can easily maintain upper 30% range even in summers. We keep it set at 45% or 50% over the winter months. Operating cost is about $1 a day.

It works great and has dramatically reduced the mustiness there.

Link

This model is much quieter than a previous one we had there and still has decent tank capacity for when we are there and running it in the den rather than bathroom.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgeair,

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
Thanks y'all.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post