SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Networking Guys: EAP1300 vs. UAP-AC-PRO
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Networking Guys: EAP1300 vs. UAP-AC-PRO Login/Join 
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted
I like the idea of moving away from the UNIFY application.

Experiences with the EAP1300? Spec-wise is it comparable? 3x3 or whatever?

Thanks in advance.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Have installed and really like this one... TP Link EAP225.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The EAP1300 is a Wave 2 (2nd gen AC) 2x2 AP.
A 3x3 while capable of more throughput is uneventful as to fully utilize the client aka phone/laptop/device/etc would also have to have a 3 radio (antenna) Wi-Fi.
Virtually ALL clients are two radio.
A 3x3 AP would benefit businesses with lots of clients attached if it were also Wave 2 (MU-MIMO) but the same throughput still applies to the client.
SO....The EAP1300 (have installed many) is a very well priced and capable AP and you do not have to have the cumbersome configuration setup that Ubiquiti.
Just note that same design WiFi principles sill apply regardless of brand.
YMMV

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
I like the idea of moving away from the UNIFY application.

Experiences with the EAP1300? Spec-wise is it comparable? 3x3 or whatever?

Thanks in advance.

Congratulations on the decision to move away from a Java controller to an AP that is completely set up and monitored with your web browser. I did the same move a couple of years ago. Ensigmatic has the EAP-1300, perhaps he will chime in. It is 2x2. I use the EAP-1750 AP which is 3x3. I also have an ENS-1200, which is an exterior model, mounted outside at our RV pad. All of the Engenius products I've used are easy and powerful.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
A general question for you given I think you mentioned you've dealt a lot with these WAP's. Why are the Engenious WAP's like this one $30+ more expensive than a similar TP Link or Ubiquiti WAP? I'd think the internal components on all three would be fairly similar. Again, just curious.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
A general question for you given I think you mentioned you've dealt a lot with these WAP's. Why are the Engenious WAP's like this one $30+ more expensive than a similar TP Link or Ubiquiti WAP? I'd think the internal components on all three would be fairly similar. Again, just curious.

Nothing wrong with TP Link.
Can it do pretty much the same job? > YES
Why, is the price different? Hard to say but $30 is fairly inconsequential, IMO.
EnGenius has configuration software for managing multiple AP's in a corp environment.
Maybe TP Link does to, I don't know.
Perhaps some other features - you'd need to do a side by side comparison to determine that.
Otherwise get what is appropriate for you.
ALL AP's have the same output power (that doesn't mean you run them all full blast, in fact you normally DON'T) but what really makes or breaks an installation is the customization and optimization for that particular site.
Sometimes very little is needed and sometimes it can be quite complex.
Other than that TP Link is fine as are a lot of other brands.
YMMV

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post