SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Girl found living with monkeys in forest
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Girl found living with monkeys in forest Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
This sounds like something out the National Enquirer.

Indian police are reviewing reports of missing children to try to identify a girl who was found living in a forest with a group of monkeys.

The girl, believed to be 10 to 12 years old, was unable to speak, was wearing no clothes and was emaciated when she discovered in January and taken to a hospital in Bahraich, a town in Uttar Pradesh state in northern India.

She behaved like an animal, running on her arms and legs and eating food off the floor with her mouth, said D.K. Singh, chief medical superintendent of the government-run hospital.

After treatment, she has begun walking normally and eating with her hands.

"She is still not able to speak, but understands whatever you tell her and even smiles," Singh said.

Some woodcutters spotted the girl roaming with monkeys, police officer Dinesh Tripathi told The Associated Press on Thursday. They alerted police.

"They said the girl was naked and was very comfortable in the company of monkeys. When they tried to rescue the girl, they were chased away by the monkeys," the officer said.

She was rescued later by a police officer in the Katarniya Ghat forest range. "When he called the girl, the monkeys attacked him but he was able to rescue the girl. He sped away with her in his police car while the monkeys gave chase," Tripathi said.

He said police are trying to determine how the girl got into the forest and who her parents are.

She will be sent to a home for juveniles until she is identified, Singh said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Internat...dian-forest-46622867

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Sadly I'm not surprised. Much of India still sees female children as more of a burden than blessing. You can still find female babies killed simply because of their sex.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
She was probably better off with the monkeys.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Damn monkeys are always kidnapping children. If their brains weren't so tasty, I'd say kill them all.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Just auditioning for The Jungle Book III

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
There are a number known cases. Based on them, there is a critical period in which language is acquired. Once the child is past that period, they don't learn to speak.
A modern example is "Genie" from California. She was 13 when found. Given extensive therapy and speech training, she was unable to form sentences. She was made a ward of the state and has disappeared into the state system

https://www.theguardian.com/so...-angeles-researchers
https://sites.psu.edu/psych256...tion-and-feral-child

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
There are a number known cases. Based on them, there is a critical period in which language is acquired. Once the child is past that period, they don't learn to speak.
A modern example is "Genie" from California. She was 13 when found. Given extensive therapy and speech training, she was unable to form sentences. She was made a ward of the state and has disappeared into the state system

https://www.theguardian.com/so...-angeles-researchers
https://sites.psu.edu/psych256...tion-and-feral-child

Thanks for posting this info. Interesting but, especially in the case of Genie, profoundly tragic. Know of any studies that demonstrate a correlation between degrees of prepubescent isolation of children and language development?

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
quote:

She was rescued later by a police officer in the Katarniya Ghat forest range. "When he called the girl, the monkeys attacked him but he was able to rescue the girl. He sped away with her in his police car while the monkeys gave chase," Tripathi said.

Putting the sadness of this story aside for a minute, I find this statement perplexing. Did they have some type of "motorized monkey transportation"?

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
^^ It all makes sense now

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought my ex was on the West Coast.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The anthropologists are going to have a field day with this.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post