SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question: big tree limb in my driveway
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question: big tree limb in my driveway Login/Join 
posted
Thankfully this is a mostly hypothetical, but a passing thunderstorm recently deposited a 20' long, maybe 100-lb branch from my neighbor's front yard tree (suburban paradise) into my carport. Thankfully, my wife and I and our relatively new cars (both about 1 year old) were not there. If they were parked, I expect it would have been a LOT of damage.

So, how would insurance (car or homeowners?) typically handle something like this? The tree limb was clearly from our neighbors house tree. They are nice folks and would never try to screw us either. However, my former car, a Mazda 3, is now my son's car, and it got a nice dent/crease in the roof from a much smaller branch. I let it go because the car was already 7-8 years old and had plenty of dings.

But clearly, this has and could happen again. So I'd like to know the consequences beforehand. Thanks!

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience would be that you would need to pursue a claim with your HO insurance. Your neighbors may (or may not) offer to pay your deductible. They are not required to do so.

--K

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
My agent told me once that if the car was in the driveway, when the damage occurred, it would be covered by homeowner insurance, if it occurred to the car and it was parked on the street in front of the house it would be covered by auto insurance.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your homeowners insurance is not going to cover damage to an auto, it doesn’t matter where it’s parked. Your house can burn down with the car in the garage, still not covered. That’s what auto insurance is for.

If you have comprehensive on the car, the answer is file a claim with your carrier and let the 2 ins companies sort out whether they were at fault.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
A different take:

Here in NC, if the limb was noticeably dead (and you have pictures to prove it) the owner of the tree will be responsible for any damage to house or cars.

If the tree/limbs were all "healthy" the responsibility lies with you.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my experience, in West Virginia and Tennessee, a downed limb that comes from a tree on another's property that causes no damage - insurance has "no skin in the game." In both instances, my neighbors asked if the tree service they hired to clean up the mess could access my yard and remove the offending limb.

As a thank you and to be neighborly, I dropped a good bottle of wine on their porch.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
My parents recently had this issue. This will have to go on your insurance, not your neighbor's. They may be willing to help you out with a deductible, but their insurance won't cover this.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
In FL, you cannot hold the property owner where the tree/limb came from responsible for the damage to your property, unless you notify them in writing of the potential for damage from that tree/limb prior to any damage occurring.

Once that notice has been received
(certified/signed priority mail) then the owner of the property is responsible for any damage it causes to your property.

I've done this twice, both times the party noticed removed the tree without issue however I did call them prior to discuss and let them know under FL law I was required to notice them in the mail and would be sending the notice as a courtesy.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Since it varies by locality, I would just call my insurance agent and ask for guidance.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I have USAA for car and HO and I'll call them.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post