SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My liberal friend
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My liberal friend Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chbibc:
I have a friend I've known since childhood. In the last 20 years he has become an off the rails liberal who marches lock step with the progressive narrative. He is so easy to rile up, and I can't help myself. I like to remind him that he voted for Reagan, twice! Earlier this week he and I were discussing ACB, and of course I got the lecture about how she is going to set women's rights back 100 years, will rule against gay marriage, wants women barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen, blah blah blah.

I told him that he was drinking too much of his party's koolaid and that six months ago he'd probably never even heard of ACB. He immediatelly snapped back "Not true, I have known about Amy Comey Barrett for a long time!" I damn near soiled myself I laughed so hard. I'm still chuckling about it.
It's amazing that someone with ACB's stellar resume would want all other women in the kitchen. Strange progression. I have noticed all of my friends that have father issues have turned against the Republican Party recently and I can only guess that it's because president Trump is a strong polarizing figure and probably reminds them of the bad times with dad. Totally irrational thought soon follows.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
It's amazing that someone with ACB's stellar resume would want all other women in the kitchen. Strange progression. I have noticed all of my friends that have father issues have turned against the Republican Party recently and I can only guess that it's because president Trump is a strong polarizing figure and probably reminds them of the bad times with dad. Totally irrational thought soon follows.

There is no logical thought process evident. They are off the rails. I forgot to mention he also spouted off some crap about how she and the Republicans want society to be like that in The Handmaid's Tale.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8513 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
This is a sensitive subject for me because it involves family and not friends.

I have not had much of a relationship with my sisters for years. But about a year ago, they added me to an ongoing text thread that they have. At first I thought it was great - an opportunity to mend fences and reconnect, etc. But, it wasn't long before they started making comments that showed that their opinions and views are shaped by whatever they see on social media.

For example, they have been crying over the death of RBG. They way they go on, you'd think they were personal friends with her. But, before RBG died, if I'd said anything about the Supreme Court, they couldn't have named a single one of the Justices.

I know I should try harder to tolerate their comments, but I'm just not very good at faking it. For the last couple of weeks, I've been ignoring anything they've said. Maybe after the election I'll be able to deal with them, but for now listening to their crap is just too annoying.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6371 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I lust don't associate with communists. Democrats, liberals, leftists, whatever. Same thing. A few years ago I could have had a decent conversation with any of them and indeed I did call some of them friends. Not any more. They are too far gone. We don't even share the same fundamental vision of this country anymore. Not even close. I never really had real close friends who were "liberal", and my only family member that was a democrat was my mom. Why? Because "Jack Kennedy was a democrat" and that's how she voted until she passed last year.

No, I don't care for communists. Never have and I never will.

As Merele Haggard said,

They love our milk an' honey
But they preach about some other way of livin'.

When they're runnin' down our country, man
They're walkin' on the fightin' side of me.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I think now there are no liberals. They have metastasized.

^^^^ This.

Years ago, one of my coworkers was pretty liberal. He knew I was conservative, but we got along great. We would have lunch and he would ask me my thoughts on various topics and was genuinely interested in hearing my point of view. We even kept in touch for a few years after I left that company.

I can't imagine having a conversation like that with a liberal today.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6371 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I have ex-friends with whom I've simply become philosophically incompatible.

Life goes on...

Without them.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
My parents were always at opposite ends of the political/social spectrum. Mom always was and always will be Democrat, Dad always voted Republican/Conservative. They always cancelled each other's votes out. Mom and I don't talk about politics. I know she disapproves of a lot of my viewpoints, but she knows she isn't going to change them and I know I'm not going to change hers, so we just don't go there.

Dad and I didn't talk about very much, because we always agreed on nearly everything. A few years ago I was shocked to find out that he voted for Obama. Twice. When he started getting older he started drinking the Democrat / AARP koolaid. A few weeks ago I asked him if he had decided who he's going to vote for this time. Not Trump. He doesn't like Biden much either and said he's thinking about just staying home. I asked why and his response was "I can't make myself vote for an asshole." When I asked what he meant by that, all I could get out of him was that he doesn't like Trump's manner, his making fun of Dems, and his tweets. It's not about politics or the future of the country at all. It's all about style. I can't get him to back away from that either.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
It's time. Liberal ≠ Friend.

^^^^^This. I can't even converse with them. Any old lib friends and myself have grown very apart over the years.

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I forgot to mention he also spouted off some crap about how she and the Republicans want society to be like that in The Handmaid's Tale.

Aren't Catholics "enemies of the state" in that book?

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I still have a couple friends on the left but we don’t talk much lately and I keep other leftists at arms length. Had one at work barking about making the rich pay more taxes. I let him have it with both barrels. Any time they start up now I just remind them that they’re voting money out of my pocket and for that reason they’re my enemy.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have asked a few libs exactly what Trump has done that affected them personally to cause their hatred. Not a single one can actually name a specific thing. It is always generalities about his manners, tweets, he's racist etc....all the leftist bullshit.
I have no desire to be friends with any of them now.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I fortunate and blessed to have an entirely sane, intact and right wing loving family..including extended fam. The buddy I posted about at the beginning of this thread is my only real non-truly conservative friend. He really is a good friend, our personalities are very similar. He’s ex-Navy and a big gun nut as well. His political leanings honestly confuse me. As mentioned, his wife is the Trump hater. She’s an attorney and makes big $$$. I suspect he simply doesn’t want to rock the boat.. at least that’s what I tell myself. Confused

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post