SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do we like in meat grinders these days?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like in meat grinders these days? Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
My little $100 LEM grinder finally crapped out after about 10 years of service. I've been trying to get by with a KitchenAid attachment but it just doesn't quite cut it.

Was just going to grab another LEM but thought I'd see if there's anything better out there that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
A number of years back I hit Cabelas at just the right moment & retrieved their dandy 1/2 hp 'professional' model (at the lower end anyway) for about 1/2 price. Stainless steel and with a sausage set up too. Used it little but very impressed with the projects so far. Has the large & the smaller hole extruder plate.

I've been exposed to the 'too little but cute' style grinders, & used granny's hand crank one for a lot of mom's home projects.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've got a big Cabelas grinder that I think would suck in my leg and pull me in it's so powerful. For 100 bucks though I have one from Northern Tool that I picked up for small jobs and it's a little beast. Just this evening my wife used it to grind a bunch of dried figs for Christmas cookies. I've run half frozen beef, venison, and pork through it and it's never had any problem doing what I've asked of it.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I don't know what you define as an arm and a leg but I have a Cabela's 3/4hp grinder and it is a beast. Grinders are one of those things that you really get what you pay for.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I also have a Cabelas 3/4HP grinder that I bought several years ago and I agree with mark, it's a beast. It's rated at 10 lbs/minute but it seems like it consumes meat at about 40 lbs/minute. I spend hours cleaning and cutting the meat from the quarters and only about 2 minutes total on grinding.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A mixture of venison and lard is good.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I also have a Cabelas, though I think it's the 3/4 hp deal. It does pretty well, I've gotten so accustomed to it taking bigger chunks that I pretty much use the measurement of "if it's small enough to cram in, she'll grind it." I will say on some really sinewy grinds I've offered her, she slows down for just a tick.

If I were buying, I'd spring for the 1hp model. Yes, mine works ok, but the extra 25% is worth a one time cost. As I've said a bunch of times before, you can often find things like this for sale used (where folks think they'll use them much more than they do). Found my 3/4 on eBay, and it has done well enough.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Years back I bought a Hobart slaughter house grinder, must weigh 50+ pounds. I can do a deer in 5 minutes. Parts are common place and plenty of different size plates plus blades are easy to sharpen if ever needed. I think I paid $100 for it. Something like that will server you well. Check with some of the local auction houses for their next restaurant auction. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'd love to have one of them Hobarts that'll grind up a yak, but they run in the thousands.

Thanks for the input fellas. I just ordered up another of the $100 jobbers ($150 actually). 4.5 star rating and if I get ten years out of this one too I'll be happy.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Lamb, onion, lettuce, tomato and tzatziki sauce. Smile

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
things like this for sale used (where folks think they'll use them much more than they do).

years ago I happened into a deal on a slightly used smaller commercial model slicer....it was devine using it as much as possible for a couple weeks....then it took its station back there by the tread(clothes hanger)mill....

Finally gave it to my buddy as his family are pretty much stuck on venison/elk/mountain creatures year round. Sorry to see it go but it was way more tool than I needed.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I've got a 1hp Weston commercial #22 that is awesome. Will grind whatever you throw at it and ask for more.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post