SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cooper's Hawk sighting....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cooper's Hawk sighting.... Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
our next door neighbour came haring in the other day asking to borrow one of my many bird books - he'd just seen a hawk-like bird flapping around the neighbourhood roads, then stooping to the ground after its prey. He showed me the photo he'd taken on his phone, too.

It was, without any doubt, one of these....

http://wildlifeanimalz.blogspo...pers-Hawk-Facts.html

It didn't have a leg tag, either. So I called up the local Raptor Foundation to check if they'd lost one of their inmates - nope, they didn't have one to lose, and didn't I know they were a North American bird?

I replode that I sure as hell knew that, and then called the RSPB, whose HQ is about twenty miles South of us here in rural East Anglia.

'Very interesting, that.' and told me that they had noted it in the day-book as an unusual sighting...

About as common here in UK as an Albatross.

We drove around for a while, epoving that we might catch a glimp of it, but to no avail.

tac

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I'd garner he's got jesses on his legs.
Probably a falconers bird.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
We had lots of them when I lived in Arizona, and ive seen a few around here in the Pacific northwest as well.

This guy landed next to my truck a couple days ago.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Cooper's Hawks are the most common hawk in my area, with Red-Tailed hawks.

During long rainy spells, they often get infestd with small black flies, and coupled with a weakened state, as to not being able to hunt as effectively , they often can't fly.

I have captured two Cooper's Hawks in bad health, and taken them to a local wildlife rehabilitator.
She nurses them back to health and releases them, she has told me, if the distance isn't too far, they will return to where they were caught. If you ever catch a raptor, always as quick as possible , place it in a darkened cardbox box or covered cage, and avoid any unnecessary contact.

Krestrels (sparrow hawks around here) used to be very common, but I see very few of them now.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
We usually get one to frequent our backyard during the winter where it picks off pigeons that come into our bird feeder. We live in the city (not like NY or anything), but it's still neat to see the hawk.

The bird has been hanging out along a local highway as I see it sitting on the light poles.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3437 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I'd garner he's got jesses on his legs.
Probably a falconers bird.

Nossir. From ten yards away the bird had neither ring nor jesses. Nor are there any registered here in UK except in zoos and maybe one or two raptor centres.

Seeing a loose Cooper's Hawk here in Eastern England is on a par with seeing a Secretary Bird.

Possibly an illegal that escaped, like the Griffon Vulture found in Dorset a few years back - also ringless.

tac

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
we have them all over the place here - see them every day - the local ones here hunt in pairs - cool to watch

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I Love Coopers.. I saw one that moved into a residential area that I drive in a lot, it was over populated with squirrels. You would see 4-5 in everyone's yard. After a few weeks they seemed to thin out a bit.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:
I Love Coopers.. I saw one that moved into a residential area that I drive in a lot, it was over populated with squirrels. You would see 4-5 in everyone's yard. After a few weeks they seemed to thin out a bit.

I wish they would go after the raccoons too....

We have a family of red shouldered hawks living around here. They are majestic birds. When they fly over they leave such a huge shadow on the ground that you know to look up.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://chwinery.com/

Around here we go to Coopers Hawk. And we see them in our backyard too.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
We see them occasionally. This is one that visited a neighbor this past summer.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post