SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Medicaid paid births... a reason for skyrocketing health costs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Medicaid paid births... a reason for skyrocketing health costs Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
[quote]Gustofer, does Medicaid reimburse at the same rate as commercial health insurance? I ask this because my wife's aunt used to work in medical billing, and she said Medicaid reimbursements were much lower, and the doctors/facilities had to wait a long time for their money.[/quote

The formula is very complex. In general private physicians cannot make a profit seeing Medicaid patients. As a result there are several levels of care in this country. The Mayo Clinic recently came out and said to give preference to commercially insured patients over those with Medicaid and Medicare.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Medicaid typically reimburses the hospital 1%-2% over cost, if memory serves. If someone skips out on the bill entirely or gives a fake name, often the hospital asks Medicaid to pay the bill.

Many hospitals would simply fold without this money.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
They didn't publish the actual number of births.

I live on AL(pop 4.9M) which is 9th at 58%, but not a very populous state. 50% of births in CA(pop 39.25M) is a huge number.

The CDC lists births for AL as 59k births as of 2014, so 34k births were paid by .gov.
For CA it's 503k births so that's 251.5k births paid for by .gov. Greater than the population of metro Birmingham AL(pop ~212k), to me that's a more shocking number...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Pay for that but I can't collect a dime from my wife's SS as her surviving spouse and my SS was cut in half because of the Windfall elimination Act. but there's money to pay for everyone's entitlements. That's because I'm helping to fund them.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Jim, it's good to see you!

Posts: 2539 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I think the worst is yet to come.

Increasingly people will demand their right to consume (from their neighbors garden), yet reject any responsibility to produce, to be self sufficient. Where will these kids (and their parents) be, economically, in 20 years? Healthcare and education free? A livable income and retirement guaranteed? The gov't feeds themselves (and their cronies) first and foremost? To me it paints a troublesome picture

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GREAT POINT!!!

Now I am seriously dumbfounded!

quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
They didn't publish the actual number of births.

I live on AL(pop 4.9M) which is 9th at 58%, but not a very populous state. 50% of births in CA(pop 39.25M) is a huge number.

The CDC lists births for AL as 59k births as of 2014, so 34k births were paid by .gov.
For CA it's 503k births so that's 251.5k births paid for by .gov. Greater than the population of metro Birmingham AL(pop ~212k), to me that's a more shocking number...

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Don't worry.... it's all just borrowed "money", just digitized bits on someone's computer at the Fed... Wink

To understand just how dangerous this has become, we need look no further than this chart:

Our current debts and other national liabilities now total more than 1,000%(!) of the nation's annual income, a.k.a GDP....

Sorry chellim, I got my CA Teacher Union magazine last week, there is a brief commentary from a Council Pres, that unfunded liabilities are meaningless, "fake news", as the gov't will always have the ability to pay their bills. Who should I believe? Wink

(WASS - We Are So Screwed)

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
The government will pay for it, but not your 65" TV in each room. Which will you spend your money on?

Saw this: Large family (Mom, Dad, three teenage sons) in the grocery line. Total is rung up and mom uses an EBT card. They leave, leaving Dad behind. He has a large can of fortified beer, which he then buys. The family used EBT to pay for necessities leaving Dad money to buy his beer.

All these Medicaid payments no doubt creates a surplus that will pay for the 65" TV. There's no need to bank money for emergencies. No need to pay for insurance. Somebody will pay for you.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind, this is just the beginning of it all. After the birth, it's welfare, EBT card, etc. etc.

If you add up all the tax monies from Johnson's War on Poverty onward, money that goes disproportionately to blacks and minorities (as is the case with these Medicaid births)-- we have spent trillions of dollars!

And the kicker? We are beaten over the head on a daily basis for our "racism." We are a racist nation. Roll Eyes Future historians will scratch their heads.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
quote:
The government will pay for it, but not your 65" TV in each room. Which will you spend your money on?

Saw this: Large family (Mom, Dad, three teenage sons) in the grocery line. Total is rung up and mom uses an EBT card. They leave, leaving Dad behind. He has a large can of fortified beer, which he then buys. The family used EBT to pay for necessities leaving Dad money to buy his beer.

All these Medicaid payments no doubt creates a surplus that will pay for the 65" TV. There's no need to bank money for emergencies. No need to pay for insurance. Somebody will pay for you.

During college I worked part time for a large grocery chain. It was not uncommon for people to buy all the "essential" food with food stamps, then pay for beer/cigarettes with cash. On the whole they ate better than did. And it was not uncommon for me to carry out their groceries and put them in a better/newer car than the family and I drove. I am sure it is much worse today.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Scoutmaster,
I'm sure you sleep well at night secure in the knowledge that when CA secedes the wizards in Sacramento will be free to digitize all the currency they can imagine.
Wink

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24053 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Since Arizona and New Mexico are the top two, and border states to boot, it begs the question of how many of them are illegals?

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
If someone skips out on the bill entirely or gives a fake name, often the hospital asks Medicaid to pay the bill.

Many hospitals would simply fold without this money.

Bruce

How do they bill the government without even knowing who the person really was? I used to think I understood our health care system, but none of any of this makes sense to me.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to wrap my head around not only this thread topic but the entire system and as it relates to current politics.

The preponderance of media conversation is about everyone's entitled to good health care. Racists, or Republicans, or mean people don't care how many people lose health care if we change Zerocare (which has it's own problems with how many people will be covered in 4 years).

My question is why are we not talking about who pays for health care? If 10 million extra people are covered why are we surprised it costs 40 million policy holders 25% (in my case much more) more a year? Why is it OK for taxpayers to be asked to foot the bill (any bill) for folks who don't pay attention in school, or do not follow rules or perhaps the law, or simply choose epic underachievement? We are raising 2 or more generations of people who may not take personal responsibility seriously because someone will bail them out. We're also inviting folks to game the system, big time!

Just so I don't seem to heartless, I also feel the abuse is stealing from those who might truly be in need. There would be funds to offer temp help for those who hit a bump in the road if not for the abuses.

Sorry for any thread drift, but this (medicaid/births) seems like a subset of the larger issue which may never get properly addressed without talking about what gov is, and is not. Corrections and comments welcome.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2003 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
USA can't be that many years away from being in the same boat as Greece. Wait to see what happens to our deficits once interest rates go up which is inevitable and already starting to happen.

I probably have maybe 15 years left in this world but I really fear how it is going to be for my children.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
USA can't be that many years away from being in the same boat as Greece. Wait to see what happens to our deficits once interest rates go up which is inevitable and already starting to happen.

I probably have maybe 15 years left in this world but I really fear how it is going to be for my children.

That needs a repeat.

John Adams reportedly stated "there are two ways to conquer a nation, the first is by the sword, the second is by debt". When the gravy-train crashes, the dependent class will quickly become unruly and demanding. Politicians and bureaucrats always take care of themselves first.

No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Scoutmaster,
I'm sure you sleep well at night secure in the knowledge that when CA secedes the wizards in Sacramento will be free to digitize all the currency they can imagine.
Wink

I am confident Gov Moonbeam et al will have their bootie tucked away in foreign accounts. Smile

(And it seems my wife and I have tentatively set next Feb as the target to no longer live in the Peoples Republic of CA)

Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
I would of thought California would be higher than 50 percent.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post