SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Baltimore prepares for protests (Freddie Gray case) Update: 4th Circuit Appeals blocks suit vs Mosby
Page 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baltimore prepares for protests (Freddie Gray case) Update: 4th Circuit Appeals blocks suit vs Mosby Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
forgot my own post

quote:
The 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has tentatively scheduled oral arguments in December for Marilyn Mosby's appeal of her immunity from suit by the Baltimore City Police officers prosecuted after Freddie Gray's death.

The appellate court, which frequently decides cases on briefs without arguments, plans to hear the case sometime during the Dec. 5-7 session

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
if the officers don't get to sue her, they may find other means in which to exact some measure of revenge

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
It will be a very high bar to overcome her immunity.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31419 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
does that immunity extend to malfeasance, ignorance, wilful neglect and deliberate violations of law?

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
It will be a very high bar to overcome her immunity.
Especially in that cesspool. But I still hold out hope that the judge will let all this go forward given Mosby's blatant violation of the process, and the officer's rights.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
upcoming trial boards

Lt Rice is scheduled for 13-17 Nov. The recommended punishment from earlier reviews is that he be fired

Sgt White 5-11 Dec. The recommended punishment from earlier reviews is that she be fired

The Mosby strategy was that Officer Goodson was most responsible for the well being of Freddie Gray. That is why Goodson (as van driver) was charged with murder.

Each trial board is separate, but it would seem to be difficult to clear Goodson and not the other two. (reminder to self, you have not been very good at predicting anything in this series of cases)

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
a little OT, but some irony here

http://www.baltimoresun.com/ne...-20171103-story.html

top 20 highest paid Baltimore employees Jul 2016 to Jun 2017

Police Sgt. William Harris Jr., $244,913
(regular salary is $97k. Special Operations Division)

State’s Attorney Marilyn J. Mosby, $238,772

Police Lt. Mark A. Walrath, $230,143

Police Lt. Brian S. Rice, $222,834
(one of officers persecuted by Mosby. includes $127,000 in back pay in August after earning $0 the previous year.)

Health Commissioner Leana Wen, $207,928
(worthless individual)

Police Officer Rafiu Makanjuola, $206,320

Police Commissioner Kevin Davis, $205,015

Finance Director Henry Raymond, $204,172

Police Lt. Ettice Brickus, $203,130

Police Sgt. Kimberly A. Swinton, $200,452

Police Officer Eric L. Green, $198,535

Police Officer Clarence Grear, $195,262

Police Sgt. Lamacairos E. Taylor, $192,917

Human Resources Director Mary Talley, $191,166

Fire Chief Niles Ford, $189,300

Police Lt. Dwayne L. Swinton, $188,554

Police Sgt. Thomas E. Wilson III, $187,037

Police Sgt. Alicia L. White, $185,018

Police Sgt. Marc J. Camarote, $184,662

Police Sgt. Charles T. Schmidt, $182,761

The Swintons are related

Of the top 50 highest-paid Baltimore employees, 37 work for the police department.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The administrative trial board of Lt Rice started today.

The 3 panel members are different than the 3 who decided van driver Goodson was not guilty of the policy violations claimed against him.

There are 10 charges that Lt Rice violated police policies during and after the 2015 arrest of Freddie Gray

If he is found guilty of any of the 10 charges or the nearly 30 stipulated violations they involve, he could be fired by Police Commissioner Kevin Davis.

Rice was the highest-ranking officer working in the Western District on the day of Gray’s arrest, which he ordered, oversaw and participated in. He placed Gray in handcuffs and leg shackles but unsecured by a seat belt in the back of a police van

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Lt Rice trial board continues

Some testimony so far

Rice's lawyer, Michael Davey, said in opening statements that the police department failed at "each and every" level to properly alert officers about a critical policy change — made just three days before Freddie Gray's arrest in April 2015

Detective Sgt. Thomas Curtis, an outside investigator from Montgomery County who interviewed Rice as a part of an internal police investigation, answered questions from Neil Duke, the attorney for the police department who is arguing Rice should face disciplinary actions up to losing his job

But Davey argued that shift commanders like Rice still had discretion on whether to use a seatbelt. Under cross-examination by Davey, Curtis agreed the department failed to properly distribute the policy change. Under questioning by Duke, however, Curtis said Rice told investigators that "he may have" opened an email that contained the new policy.

But Curtis also criticized the department for failing to provide proper equipment or guidance for how to handle the transport of a combative detainee in a police van.

"I found nothing," Curtis said, when asked if there was any such guidance.

Officers who responded to the arrest have testified that Gray was not cooperative. He yelled as he was put into the van, attracting about a dozen people in a high-crime neighborhood during a period of stepped-up policing efforts. Officers have testified that they tried to get Gray in the van and drive away due to concerns about the crowd.

Officers Nero and Miller accepted minor discipline actions for their involvement. They will not face trial boards. Both of them testified today in the Rice trial board

Nero and Miller described Gray as being combative but not showing signs of injury, and considered a crowd of West Baltimore residents as a threat to officers at the scene of his arrest. They said Rice's decision to place Gray in the back of a police van in handcuffs and leg shackles but unsecured by a seat belt was a reasonable one based on officer safety concerns.

They also said they had never seen an arrestee placed in a seat belt at that point in their careers despite participating in dozens of arrests.

adding:

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/...isciplinary-hearing/

The officers involved in Gray’s arrest have all been cleared criminally, but several were called before a police trial board Tuesday as witnesses in Lieutenant Brian Rice’s hearing at the University of Baltimore — Edward Nero, Garrett Miller, Zachary Novak and William Porter.

They testified that ranking officer Rice had only seconds of contact with Freddie Gray on the day of his arrest in April 2015, and that none of them knew about policy that would have required them to seat belt the prisoner into a police van.

The 10 charges against Rice stem from policies that do require officers to seat belt prisoners, and from policies on use of force investigations.

The officers who testified said they rarely, if ever , seat belted prisoners before Gray’s death.

Attorneys also asked if they considered the police van to be a crime scene after finding Gray limp inside.

“There wasn’t any belief that a crime had occurred,” Officer Nero said.

He and others explained that they thought Gray may have swallowed drugs and overdosed, not yet aware that he’d broken his neck in custody.

Attorneys for the police department say the van should have been pulled off the road instead of staying in service until after Gray died days later.

New evidence presented in the hearing today includes a log of Lt. Rice’s emails, showing that he got 1,000 pages of email attachments in four days. Somewhere within those pages, a memo on the new seat belt policy.

Rice’s trial is expected to wrap up on Friday. If he’s found guilty on any of the charges he faces, he will be off the force.

some of the police charges against Rice are that the van was a crime scene and Rice should not have released it back to service.

How the hell would Rice know it was a crime scene ? It was almost 3 weeks after the arrest when Mosby charged the officers in a move that shocked the BPD.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
What a total shitshow that department is leadership wise.

Ill be interested to see what the outcome on Rice's hearing. Some ludicrous charges though...

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Sargents making 180K a year???WTF!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
What a dumpster fire.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31377 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:

Those officers make LITERALLY 4 times what I do yearly....

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
^^^^^Overtime and paid gigs, baby. Each year, the Boston Globe used to publish the highest paid state employees. There were always a couple of state troopers on the list. Like $190k in 1999 dollars. They got it from seniority, coupled with tons of overtime and state required private security gigs. In places like Massachusetts, when security is required for a concert, road work, etc., often the permittee is required to hire state or local cops for the security, not a private security contractor. The rates are what you would expect for a monopoly.

Things may be similar in Baltimore. In addition, some of those guys are getting big checks because they were suspended without pay, and the check represents back pay plus current.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The BPD salaries above include overtime

for example; SGT Taylor has annual salary of $90,000 with gross salary $192,917

Officer Grear has annual salary $83,759 with gross salary $195,262

This link shows a table w all BPD salaries from July 2016 to June 2017

The table shows annual salary and gross salary (plus hiring date)

https://data.baltimorecity.gov...e-Overtime/4wyn-g3gd

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
^^^^^Overtime and paid gigs, baby. Each year, the Boston Globe used to publish the highest paid state employees. There were always a couple of state troopers on the list. Like $190k in 1999 dollars. They got it from seniority, coupled with tons of overtime and state required private security gigs. In places like Massachusetts, when security is required for a concert, road work, etc., often the permittee is required to hire state or local cops for the security, not a private security contractor. The rates are what you would expect for a monopoly.

Things may be similar in Baltimore. In addition, some of those guys are getting big checks because they were suspended without pay, and the check represents back pay plus current.

Dude. I literally am delirious after working 25 hours straight.

I went in at 9am on Tuesday morning, and am now here posting at 12 14 pm on Wednesday.... I got off work at 10:50 on Wednesday...

Nearly 26 hours of work straight.

Know how much extra I got for it????? I ain't gonna tell ya, but I'll bet you can venture a guess....

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
^^^^My math skills are rusty, but I bet it's easy math...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:

Those officers make LITERALLY 4 times what I do yearly....

Move to CA, you will make enough to retire in five years, and will have as much annual retirement pay as you did working.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
holy shit

I'm in the wrong business

I average a 60 hour week for about half of what they make...

is it too late to get into this gravy train?

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
holy shit

I'm in the wrong business

I average a 60 hour week for about half of what they make...

is it too late to get into this gravy train?

Don't believe a word of it. I make about 65K(with OT) but the local papers here like to report government wages that I make $110K. They frequently include the cost of all of our benefits in the totals they throw out there.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post