SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Baltimore prepares for protests (Freddie Gray case) Update: 4th Circuit Appeals blocks suit vs Mosby
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 51
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baltimore prepares for protests (Freddie Gray case) Update: 4th Circuit Appeals blocks suit vs Mosby Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.baltimoresun.com/ne...-20150902-story.html

A judge on Wednesday ordered that six Baltimore Police officers charged in the arrest and death of Freddie Gray be tried separately.

This was the request of the defense attorneys.

Defense attorneys cited alleged conflicts of interest that they said required Mosby's office to be recused from the case. On that motion, Judge Williams said the defense "didn't come close" to justifying a removal of the prosecutors' office.

Williams, who at times cut off both the defense attorneys and prosecutors arguing their points, raised questions about statements made by Mosby made, including when she answered a reporter's question about whether the police officers had cooperated with the investigation.

"It's inappropriate, and you know it," Williams said to Prosecutor Schatzow about that exchange.

But in his ruling, Williams said it was not within his authority to decide whether Mosby had broken the Maryland Lawyer's Rules of Professional Conduct, which guide attorney behavior. That was for the Attorney Grievance commission to decide, he said.

The judge also said defense claims of conflicts of interests by Mosby and other prosecutors "didn't come close" to meriting their removal from the case.

Williams called the alleged conflict based on Mosby's husband, Nick Mosby, serving as a City Councilman in the district where Gray was arrested "troubling and condescending."

At the conclusion of his remarks, Williams told attorneys to stop seeking media sound bites and making unsupported claims.

6 separate trials. Will make a real circus into an even bigger circus.

It is vital to get these trials out of Baltimore. The deck is stacked.

Posts: 19561 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
How's the judge? Unbiased? Or should the judge also be recused from this case?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
6 trials! There won't be a CVS left in Delaware by the time that's done.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
How's the judge?
Isn't it obvious that the judge is scared shitless?

What would be the fate of any judge who prevented these horrible, murderous police officers from facing "justice"? Unless the judge wants to move to another planet, there was only one possible outcome. Now, it's someone else's problem, right?

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
questions for the forum lawyers:

do you think they will do the 6 trials one at a time in some sequence ?

If so, would you prefer as a defense attorney to be the first trial or the last ?

Is it a given that there would be 6 different juries ? (that would seem to be a requirement)

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I'm still waiting to see the evidence they have that warrants the charges.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
He's down for the struggle. Trial attorney in the civil rights division of the U.S. Department of Justice, 1997-2002. Special litigation counsel for the civil rights division of the U.S. Justice Department, 2002-2005.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/ne...-20150901-story.html

Who is the judge in the Freddie Gray hearing?

Barry Glenn Williams has been an Associate Judge with the Baltimore City Circuit Court since December 2005. On Wednesday, he'll become a bit more of a household name.

Judge Williams will preside over Wednesday's hearings in the Freddie Gray case. He's anticipated to hear motions to dismiss the case for prosecutorial misconduct, recuse Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby and other prosecutors, and determine whether six Baltimore police officers charged in Gray's death will be tried together or individually.

Next week, the hearings will include a motion to move the officers' trials out of Baltimore. That takes place on Sept. 10.

Here's more about the judge presiding over the hearings this week:

Barry Glenn Williams

Title: Associate judge, Baltimore City Circuit Court, since December 2005

Career highlights: Led court's criminal division from 2012 until January. Chaired Criminal Justice Coordinating Council for Baltimore, 2012-2014. Special litigation counsel for the civil rights division of the U.S. Justice Department, 2002-2005. Trial attorney in the civil rights division of the U.S. Department of Justice, 1997-2002. Assistant state's attorney in Baltimore, 1989-1997

Education: Bachelor's degree in history from the University of Virginia, law degree from the University of Maryland School of Law

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
questions for the forum lawyers:

do you think they will do the 6 trials one at a time in some sequence ?

Yes that is what it sounds like.

quote:

If so, would you prefer as a defense attorney to be the first trial or the last ?

You probably won't have much say. The prosecutor will likely get whatever sequence they prefer. If not, take my client last. If the first couple are not guilty, they might not even bother with you. You would also have witnesses giving sworn testimony 5 times before, a fertile ground for cross examination.

OTOH, I always looked at trials as being like putting on a play. The actors would have 5 times to perfect their lines and demeanor, props, etc.

quote:

Is it a given that there would be 6 different juries ? (that would seem to be a requirement)

It would be in Whackyland, and I assume everywhere else. I don't know the rules in Maryland.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Baltimore mayor just announced she is not going to run for re-election.

Burn it down and leave - typical democrat.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/ne...-20150911-story.html

Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake says she won't seek re-election

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I wonder what she is up to ?

Rawlings-Blake is secretary of the Democratic National Committee. Hard to believe she is walking away from politics.

The city cost to do the 6 trials is very roughly estimated at $ 4 million.

So with the pay off to the Gray family, the city will be spending about $ 10 million.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/ne...-20150910-story.html

All because a drug dealer with drugs in his system stood up and hit his head in a police wagon.

The 6.4 million pay out was split as:

5.36 million to Gloria Darden (mother)

640k to Freddie Gray Sr

400k to Freddie Gray estate

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder what she is up to ?
Why give short-sighted fools like this credit for being able to think ahead of the game?

I'll tell what she's up to: She's up to looking at herself in the mirror every morning and saying "I fucked up my career and everyone knows it."

That's what she's up to. She's up to knocking herself out of her cushy job.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
"I'm not worried about protests, because when Baltimore people show up to protest, they do it in a way that allows people to focus on the message," Rawlings-Blake said

No one, and I mean no one, can be this fucking stupid. Is that shit out of a comedy script or something? Eek

Posts: 13092 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
No one, and I mean no one, can be this fucking stupid. Is that shit out of a comedy script or something? Eek
But they can be that dishonest, and that's what you're seeing- a gigantic steaming pile of horse shit.

Otherwise known as a plain old lie.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The settlement agreement for the 6.4 million had this language in it:

Seemed odd that the city signed a document where they said "any such liability or guilt being expressly and unequivocally denied ",

while they were charging and prosecuting the officers.

No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder what she is up to ?...

On the surface things seem to be between bizarre and ludicrous. I would bet underneath the surface things are quite a bit uglier.

Curious, and don't know if anyone has mentioned this, with six separate trials, I wonder if the guilty/innocent verdicts might align by ethnicity.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I wish i could believe that these cops had a shot at a fair trial but it just isn't going to happen. They are to be rail roaded by a corrupt prosecutor and a system that will find these officers guilty because every one in the system is afraid of mob mentality. Sorry to these officers whose only offense is not seat belting freddie in the back of the van.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Indeed. This really does seem like a true case of being rail roaded.

quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:

Curious, and don't know if anyone has mentioned this, with six separate trials, I wonder if the guilty/innocent verdicts might align by ethnicity.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see that happen.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
There are lots of real bad signs here.

I did believe the judge would see the totally obvious need to move the trials out of Baltimore.

Especially when the city made a 6.4 million award the day before the hearing (please, no lectures that the award did not admit guilt)

I wonder what happens if a witness in trial 1 gives testimony, and the officer in trial 1 is convicted. Then the same witness gives different testimony in trial 6.

Does that give the officer in trial 1 justification for a retrial ?

And if convictions happen say in trial 1 and 2, doesn't that prejudice the juries in the later trials?

What if in trial 1 the officer gets off. And then there are riots. Are jurors in the later cases worried about triggering more riots ?

Remember the mentality at work here. People wanted Darren Wilson convicted whether he was innocent or guilty, just because of "history". One of the witnesses against Wilson finally confessed he hadn't seen anything, but he originally testified that he saw Wilson shoot Brown in the back because that is what normally happens.

Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Indeed. This really does seem like a true case of being rail roaded.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scoutmaster:

From the charges, the three white officer were those that arrested Gray. The driver and two officers involved the the transport are black.

Think the charges say Gray was hurt after he got into the van

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/01/...e-charges/index.html

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16668 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post