SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Baltimore prepares for protests (Freddie Gray case) Update: 4th Circuit Appeals blocks suit vs Mosby
Page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 51
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baltimore prepares for protests (Freddie Gray case) Update: 4th Circuit Appeals blocks suit vs Mosby Login/Join 
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Reading this past week I don't think there is any way there is a conviction.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:

I am thinking the same thing.....and then I remembered this Baltimore and a kangaroo court so I won't be surprised if there is a conviction (that will eventually be overturned).

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:

I am thinking the same thing.....and then I remembered this Baltimore and a kangaroo court so I won't be surprised if there is a conviction (that will eventually be overturned).

No conviction on the evidence in this case. But the politics of fear may change the judges mind. Kangaroo court indeed.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
We are on alert for whatever comes down from the court on Monday. I feel from hearing local news reports plus a live feed in the court room the officer will get at least one conviction just to say they didn't let him walk. But most of the folks I talk to in Baltimore's inner city feel the family got paid so on with life. It's BLM crew that will cause trouble with the young ones following along. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The prosecutors had gone to the Maryland Court of Appeals to force Officer Porter to testify against all 5 of the other officers. Even though Porter himself will be tried later this year.

The MD court agreed w the prosecutors. Today the MD Court of Appeals released their full report on that decision.

there are 7 judges on the MD Court of Appeals

http://www.baltimoresun.com/ne...-20160520-story.html

Maryland's highest court on Friday issued its full written opinion explaining why it ruled prosecutors can compel Baltimore Police Officer William Porter to testify against fellow officers

The judges' ruling was unanimous , and unequivocally affirmed prosecutors' arguments that -- though never before employed -- state law allowed prosecutors to compel testimony from a defendant against co-defendants after granting limited immunity.

"We hold that the State's compelling Officer Porter to testify in the trials of his fellow officers, under the grant of use and derivative use immunity, does not violate Officer Porter's privilege against compelled self-incrimination under the Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution and Article 22 of the Maryland Declaration of Rights," wrote Chief Judge Mary Ellen Barbara in the 51-page opinion.

"If [Porter's] testimony is not relevant or is otherwise inadmissible, Defendants may object on those bases if and when Officer Porter takes the stand," Barbara wrote, adding that the court found that "not one" of Porter's arguments against testifying "has merit.".

one of the defense arguments was that everyone in Baltimore would know what Porter said in the other trials. His right to the 5th in his trial would be destroyed by jury pool poisoning

Posts: 19564 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
With the judge running roughshod over the prosecution, I can see no way for a conviction here.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
The prosecutors had gone to the Maryland Court of Appeals to force Officer Porter to testify against all 5 of the other officers. Even though Porter himself will be tried later this year.

The MD court agreed w the prosecutors. Today the MD Court of Appeals released their full report on that decision.

there are 7 judges on the MD Court of Appeals

http://www.baltimoresun.com/ne...-20160520-story.html

Maryland's highest court on Friday issued its full written opinion explaining why it ruled prosecutors can compel Baltimore Police Officer William Porter to testify against fellow officers

The judges' ruling was unanimous , and unequivocally affirmed prosecutors' arguments that -- though never before employed -- state law allowed prosecutors to compel testimony from a defendant against co-defendants after granting limited immunity.

"We hold that the State's compelling Officer Porter to testify in the trials of his fellow officers, under the grant of use and derivative use immunity, does not violate Officer Porter's privilege against compelled self-incrimination under the Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution and Article 22 of the Maryland Declaration of Rights," wrote Chief Judge Mary Ellen Barbara in the 51-page opinion.

"If [Porter's] testimony is not relevant or is otherwise inadmissible, Defendants may object on those bases if and when Officer Porter takes the stand," Barbara wrote, adding that the court found that "not one" of Porter's arguments against testifying "has merit.".

one of the defense arguments was that everyone in Baltimore would know what Porter said in the other trials. His right to the 5th in his trial would be destroyed by jury pool poisoning

I think, long term, this is a win-win for our side. Let them force Porter to testify. It is going to backfire in their face.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Chester County, PA | Registered: February 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This might be the start of the summer of love 2016?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Not guilty all 4 charges

Judge Williams made the just call. Good for him. Sad that it got this far.

Judge Williams said state failed to prove Nero acted unreasonably. Stressed Miller testimony that he alone stopped and cuffed Gray

Judge Williams stressed findings pertained to Nero only, that all he was judging were facts as presented by state against Nero.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Baltimore can suck on it.

No matter what Baltimore gov't says right now, if they're not embarrassed, then they are as stupid as they appear to be.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Kudos to the judge. This could not have been an easy call for him given his background, but given the evidence presented he really had no option. The prosecution literally had nothing to even hint at guilt.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy he got off. Back to work?

Can the prosecution be tried for misconduct. They need to be disbarred, the whole damn bunch!

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Time to get back to the business of running a city government. Stop fucking with the police. Stop pandering to black criminals and malcontents, you disgusting excuses for human beings. Shame on you idiots.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
YES!!!!!

Bite the bitter fruit, Mosby!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Time to get back to the business of running a city government.

...into the ground, sadly.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
no justice no peace. I wonder how many blocks will be allowed to burn for those who want to protest and destroy?

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Hope the BPD and MSP have plans for this or more rioting is going to occur.

Posts: 2770 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Would you go back to work there? I'd negotiate a separation that would give me the best chance of getting on a force somewhere else.

quote:
Originally posted by ArLEOret:
Happy he got off. Back to work?

Can the prosecution be tried for misconduct. They need to be disbarred, the whole damn bunch!

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Time to get back to the business of running a city government.

...into the ground, sadly.

Sadly, they will likely be the authors of their own demise. More sadly, they will likely not connect the dots.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Courtroom for #NeroTrial was packed. One notable absence: Marilyn Mosby

A statement from Baltimore Police on Officer Nero's status:

"Although the criminal case against Officer Edward Nero has come to a close, the internal investigation has not. With that, Officer Nero's status will remain unchanged. He will remain in an administrative capacity while this investigation continues.

The internal investigation is being handled by other police departments. The internal investigation will not be completed until all of the criminal cases against the other five officers are completed because they will likely be witnesses in each case."

how many resources will they waste on an open and shut case ?