SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mickey Thompson's son Danny sets WR 448 mph in his dad's 50 year old car
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mickey Thompson's son Danny sets WR 448 mph in his dad's 50 year old car Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
Danny Thompson took his dad's 50 year old racer out of mothballs, installed 2 2500 HP dry Hemis, replacing 600 and 1200 HP Ford 427s. Average of two runs was 448 MPH. The engines are cooled by fuel and burn 50 gallons in a 5 miles run. Fasted ever piston engine, wheel driven, naturally aspirated (no supercharger) car.

At the bottom of the ABOUT page on this linked site is an in cockpit video showing Danny correcting a slide with near lock to lock steering at 430 MPH. The photos page has many great photos of car construction and archives of Mickey Thompson.

I didn't know it until yesterday that Mickey Thompson and his second wife were murdered by hit men hired by a former business partner of Mickey's who is still serving time.

http://thompsonlsr.com/news/

Posts: 7452 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing this, pbslinger.

I know we have some watch collectors here. For those who are interested, BALL Watch has created a special edition for this event:

https://shop.ballwatch.ch/rc18...2rFnpm5HOs64UZmSvbCA

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool. And i did not know about his murder either!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
Thanks for sharing this, pbslinger.

I know we have some watch collectors here. For those who are interested, BALL Watch has created a special edition for this event:

https://shop.ballwatch.ch/rc18...2rFnpm5HOs64UZmSvbCA

Very cool. Wonder if David has had one of those pass through his shop?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I recently saw him and the car and the story on Fox's Strange Inheritance with Jamie Colby.
He was jut then bringing it out of mothballs and starting the run.
Very cool story. Cool

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I love how the "function test" is a 186 mph run!

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
His murder was a unsolved for a number of years.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I do remember their murders in 1988, in their residence driveway. The day it happened sent shock waves through the automotive industry since Mickey Thompson raced in many different types of events in addition to his signature line of products.

He was an amazing enthusiast who lived life to the fullest.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post