SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Had Lifelock, dropped it. What do we like?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Had Lifelock, dropped it. What do we like? Login/Join 
The Velvet Voicebox
posted
I vaguely remember a thread some time ago regarding protection services like Lifelock. Consensus was to get away from them. Better options?

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing. I check my credit card statements every month and move on.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have alerts set in my credit cards to email or text me for any charges over $50. If anything I don’t understand shows up, I investigate. Otherwise just check the smaller stuff monthly before I pay it off.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I have LifeLock. I missed the thread that said to stay away from them. I had Equifax for a while, but thought LifeLock was more thorough. I am interested to hear the input.

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
My credit is frozen. Only reason it needs checked is every 36 months when I lease a car.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
Zander is a wonderful ID theft company. If there is an issue, they fix it for you. It's strongly endorsed by Dave Ramsey.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I froze my credit as well.

I purposely owe on taxes a little each year (so if someone steals my tax info and files for a refund I’m not waiting months for my money, among other reasons).

I check my accounts daily. No accounts with significant money tied to debit/linked checking accounts.

I cancel my cards and get new ones at least once a year.

Haven’t had any issues so far.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Mint.com, or better yet, Personal Capital, for practically up to the minute monitoring of all your accounts. I can make a credit card purchase, and within minutes, it shows up on those apps. Plus, they're good if you like to see your up to date Net Worth and MAGA in action.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I recently performed a fairly extensive review of the various identity theft detection and remediation services. IMO, the best bang for the buck in comprehensive coverage is currently IdentityForce

You can choose just identity theft protection or identity theft protection plus credit monitoring. Since I have all my credit reporting (and more) locked, we went with just identity protection.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maestro:
Zander is a wonderful ID theft company. If there is an issue, they fix it for you. It's strongly endorsed by Dave Ramsey.

That's what I have. 75 bucks a year.

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Do your own credit freeze, then set up alerts on your credit cards.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:

That’s what I do. You can determine size and type of transactions giving rise to an alert. In New Zealand recently, even in the boonies, an “international” transaction showed up in seconds.

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I use Complete ID through Costco.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We use Zander.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:

LifeLock and the like are more than just credit security. They're also identity theft protection services. They protect against things like people running up hospital bills, getting arrested, etc. in your name.

The service my wife and I are using, IdentityForce, is watching our names, SSNs, DLs, all our medical I.D. numbers, our passport numbers, you name it. This is non-trivial. There are people that have found their credit wrecked from hospital bills run up in their names and found themselves arrested and jailed for things done in their names.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post