SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New puppy on the way....so excited/update she is home!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New puppy on the way....so excited/update she is home! Login/Join 
posted
Well, as you all might remember, I lost my baby girl October 5th. I want to thank all of you for your love, kindness and support.

I was/am heartbroken still, but I found a Red Tri baby girl Australian Shepherd. She's ASDR, red tri, with full rights. I was struck by her, there was something about her. So I contacted the breeder and told them that I was interested. That was early Friday morning. I didn't hear back until 2 PM and they told me that someone was going to come look at her today (Saturday), so I was kinda crushed.

I had a field trip and got back a quarter after midnight. I was watching T.V., and thinking about it and said what the hell, I emailed them saying that is they don't take her, I would like to take a look.

They emailed me this morning saying that the lady pulled out and that if I wanted to come look it was fine.

3+ hours later I was there. She was even more striking in person than the pictures. She came right to me, let me put her on her back and responded to me. She feel asleep in my arms.

So, after some play time, cuddle time and all. I put a deposit down on her. She will be coming home on December 18th....

Now, I have to come up with a name and get to puppy proofing the house! So excited....

Oh, any good recommendations on puppy food. I have most everything else covered.

ARman

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ARman,

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Based off your story I will suggest

"Providence"

2 syllables is best for dogs so shorten to "Provi"

I am a huge fan of ACDs so being very similar I totally get your anticipation.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I hope it all goes well for you and the new pup.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Congrats buddy. They always seem to choose their owners. I like Nutro puppy food. Always worked well for me. And I’d pick an Australian name. I trained a female, same breed, once. Had her for a few months before we re-homed her. Immensely trainable but needed crate training bad. Lovely spirit.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I’m so happy for you! I got my best boy that way- someone had committed to him, and then the deal fell through. He came home with me, and I’ve never regretted it- the sweetest, most charming boy- sweet and full of mischief.

I also use Nutro (ultra puppy specifically). I have found it to be consistent, high enough in protein, and it has not to this point caused any allergic reaction to any of my dogs. I mix with Stella and Chewy Meal mixers - Salmon and Cod is in house right now. There are many good choices..see what your breeder recommends and build from there. Congrats again!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Being super new to owning a dog, as far as recommendations on food, I can tell you that Fromm brand of food passed the test with me as far as ingredients, protein, etc. The little guy likes it a lot as well.

It’s affordable when you’re feeding a dog that eats less than a cup a day.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Super excited for you, we're big fans of herding dogs. We have a tri-color Border and she's been amazing.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Bandit has been on Fromme since day 1. I switch it out every month by random flavors. She eats 1/3 of a cup twice a day so a bag lasts about a month.

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The breeder said she uses Purina puppy Chow for the puppies, and will send her home with a small bag. She said that it's what she feeds the puppies because of the cost, but if I wanted to change she said that I would have enough food to switch over to something else.

The breeder had a nice place, clean (well, there was hair here and there, but we are talking about Aussies)

The parents were well behaved, looked happy and healthy. Very loving and the breeder said medium drive, not to hyper. Said mom and dad were good with small kids, adults and animals.

I think that this puppy will be a great fur baby.

She came right to me, played a little, snuggled me and fell asleep in my arms.

I'm so excited.

I used Royal Canin with Sunny Day, but that was one of the few foods for Diabetic dogs, she did very well on it, but I was wondering what is out there for puppy food.

ARman

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
They always seem to choose their owners.

We went to pick out a dalmatian back in 1990. Most paid no attention to the visitors. But one, Spot, sniffed at each of us. When he got to my oldest son's GF, he crawled up in her lap and went to sleep. He went home with us.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your new puppy. We have 3 Aussies that I would give my life for. Smart, Obedient (for the most part, we have one female that's a little shit) and Loyal...all traits of the breed.

Remember one thing about food, you have to transition from one brand to another over a week or two to avoid digestive problems. These are not long term, but they can add to the puppy's stress while adjusting to its new home.

Again, enjoy your new friend and the love she'll bring the both of you

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Auss-Holes make great companions..... I have 2

Red tris are beautiful

ENJOY!!!!

look forward to the cute puppy pics on arrival

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new puppy! Will definitely want pics once you get the pup!

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biggest food concern, country of origin! Lots of Chinese foods under U.S. brsnds! Purina was one made in China at one time. Good Luck with the new pup! Miss my German shepherd. Sometimes they pick their own names by their behavior.

Posts: 141 | Location: Ma. | Registered: November 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Puppy already won the lottery being picked by you!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Wonderful news, my friend!!!

There are a few websites that rate foods and help to research countries of origin.

So glad for you!!!

Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
Congrats! Puppy already won the lottery being picked by you!

Thanks, I think she picked me though.

She looks better in person than the pictures, and she is adorable in the pictures.

ARman.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Windwolf:
Biggest food concern, country of origin! Lots of Chinese foods under U.S. brsnds! Purina was one made in China at one time. Good Luck with the new pup! Miss my German shepherd. Sometimes they pick their own names by their behavior.

Unfortunately, Purina ownes a lot of brands, and if they aren't made in China, ingredients are sourced from there.

ARman

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
Wonderful news, my friend!!!

There are a few websites that rate foods and help to research countries of origin.

So glad for you!!!

Big Grin

Thank you. I wasn't looking for a Red Tri, but she was so adorable, there was just something about her. I had to go look at her and she stole my heart.

ARman

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
It was meant to be.

Anyway, the puppy chooses you Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post