SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Long distance move. Worth shipping gun safe or sell and buy a new one at the new house?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long distance move. Worth shipping gun safe or sell and buy a new one at the new house? Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted
I'm not going to be going anywhere soon, but I will eventually move. Is it worth shipping a heavy gun safe?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38657 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
depends,

how far?
what rate per the movers?
insurance?

resale an issue in your area?, and availability in the new area.

how are you transporting the firearms in the safe to the new location?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Good questions and I don't know the answer to most of them. The move is several years away. Distance is about 1000 miles. I'll have a moving van of sorts, but will probably drive it myself....get help loading and unloading. I assume I could get something for it at the safe store I bought it from, but would first try to sell privately. I don't anticipate any problems finding a new safe, but I do like my old Fort Know with dial combination. I will likely transport the firearms separately.....but that's another discussion.

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38657 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I am in kind of the same dilemma. I think it would be easier to buy one at the NEW location. Maybe sell the old one with the house as an incentive or give it to my kids. Being a 'few years down the road' safes can upgrade and a new one would always be nice.

Good luck with the move.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
give it to my kids.

....this is a win/win on multiple levels....especially if THEY are the ones moving it

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I say move it.

If you have a van, it's just loading it on there and that will be even easier considering you'll have help.

What I did was load myself and hired movers to unload. My move was 1,700+ miles. Might even want to hire movers to load. They'll bring people and equipment. Guys likely stronger than you or I and have been doing it longer.

You likely won't get much for it.

But if you were thinking of upgrading the safe anyway, then it's not worth moving the old one.

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
My question would also be how to transport guns through hostile states or jurisdictions who pretend that the transport provision of FOPA doesn't apply to them.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8660 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Sell it, either with the house or to a buyer who arranges for it to be moved himself.

Buy a new one and have an installer move it in for you. Do not help him & his crew.

Failing to heed this advice killed my uncle.

It isn't worth it. Plus, you can buy a bigger, nicer safe in your new location.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Failing to heed this advice killed my uncle.

Whoh! Care to share the story Chuck? I'd be for moving the existing safe myself, until I saw your words.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Good questions and I don't know the answer to most of them. The move is several years away. Distance is about 1000 miles. I'll have a moving van of sorts, but will probably drive it myself....get help loading and unloading. I assume I could get something for it at the safe store I bought it from, but would first try to sell privately. I don't anticipate any problems finding a new safe, but I do like my old Fort Know with dial combination. I will likely transport the firearms separately.....but that's another discussion.

if you have room in the van, put the safe in the front, put the guns in it (in sleeves to prevent damage) and strap it down and go, (putting the rest of your household around the safe for security

selling to a private party will net more than selling to a retailer, obviously, but if you have the room, take it with you

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Depends on how large the safe is and if you're going to have to negotiate multiple levels at either end. If you can keep everything relatively flat, the safe isn't all that big and you have help and are in fair shape yourself, I'd consider doing myself. You may have to rent something to get over thresholds, but the last one I had moved was done on moving blankets and sheets of thick plastic.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
How heavy is heavy? Mine weighs in at close to 2k empty, I have often wondered the same. My last one was about 400 lbs, easy to move.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
My Fort Knox is quite a few years old and I was told by the sales guy that it was the last year that the doors were a bit thicker than the new ones. Although it's not as large as I'd like, it holds everything I have and if I were more organized and efficient, it would hold more. I believe it weighs in at about 950#

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Aren't you moving your other possessions? Why not move this one too? Would you leave behind a motorcycle, nice grill, refrigerator, or other bigger items just because they're big?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
46and2, that's a fair point. I can't really disagree except to say that this is particularly heavy and not easily moved. Other large/heavy items that I have would be a marble top table, antique insulated oak ice box (refrigerator) and motorcycle. After reading the replies, I probably will move it and enlist the help of some strong young folks to help on both ends. When the time comes.

posted Hide Post
I recently made a long range move and elected to sell my safe- bought like 20 years ago for a grand and got the money back out of it. When we arrived at our new location I ended up renting a storage unit for household goods and store my excess guns there. Key code access gate key code access door and then my individual unit lock, plus security cameras. Figure more secure than anything else. I do have a much smaller safe I use for my every day use guns.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I recently made a 2 mile move. I have a Browning 64 gun safe and it was in a basement with 13 step straight stairway. I offered it to the buyer of my house for $500 but they didn't want it. I called the company I bought it from and they offered $350.

I asked Rural King how they moved the safes they sell and they gave me a contact #. Moved it out of the basement, down the road 2 miles and into my easy access garage for $225 or $250, paid cash w/ no ticket so I don't remember exact amount but I think it was 225.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
My question would also be how to transport guns through hostile states or jurisdictions who pretend that the transport provision of FOPA doesn't apply to them.

When I moved from Pennsylvania to Arizona, I drove my Audi, pulling a 5x10 trailer filled with heavy items. Guns were stored in the trunk behind the rear seat with clothes piled atop the firearms. The trunk was filled with clothes.

I drove the speed limit.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
WRT the safe, distance is irrelevant. It's the loading and unloading that is at issue, and you're going to incur that regardless of distance.

Moving vans are rated for way more weight than most households have. Very few people have more than 24 tons of goods, and a moving service is going to charge you by the mile, not by the weight of the items X distance, provided your stuff isn't more than 48,000 pounds total.

Let's say you're moving yourself and not using a pro, same considerations. If you rent a 28,000 pound truck, the tare weight is in the 10,000 range. Again, most people won't come close to 20,000 pounds of stuff. So the only issue is loading and unloading a safe. Do you want to do this?

When you buy a new safe, the price of delivery is built into the cost, or it may even be an add-on. Therefore, it seems just as beneficial to move your existing safe, assuming it currently serves your needs.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not have your answer, Frank in St. Louis, Mo. will. He sells and moves safes for a living.

My guess is to leave it and get a new one.

I would call the place you bought it and see if they are interested. Lots of liability if a private seller hurts himself on your property.

There are certain things you do not do yourself. This is one of them. Dentistry is another one.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post