SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    VERY Interesting Auction yesterday for an old 1911
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VERY Interesting Auction yesterday for an old 1911 Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Only one magazine!

(that's why I didn't bid)

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I was just trolling the Williams Gun sight used pistol site:
1920 Commercial Colt Government Model
Looked about 80%
$1800.00
And aren't Union Switch & Signal 1911s more rare that Singers?
I believe the US&S Co. Were made in much greater numbers. Even they are gaining in price/value. Aside from the Singers, IIRC, there is a Remington UMC which is even more rare. Being different than the Remington Rand, it may have been produced in Canada. Rogue will have the skinny on the UMC. My information of it is very limited in accuracy so add any correction Rogue. Thank you.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll add that the North American Arms Co. Is the maker of only 100 1911 pistols, all tool room samples so these are even rarer than a Singer. Seems Remington UMC produced 20,000 pistols for Uncle Sam.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

No. A total of 55,000 Union Switch and Signal M1911A1s were produced. Literally 110x the number of Singers.

quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
OK, I'll add that the North American Arms Co. Is the maker of only 100 1911 pistols, all tool room samples so these are even rarer than a Singer.

Correct. But those are original M1911s, not A1s. And unlike the Singers they were never inspected/accepted by, or delivered to, the US military.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Only 9 different bidders know why that thing is worth more than a car. Eek

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Only 9 different bidders know why that thing is worth more than a car. Eek

And a very nice car at that! Cool

PORSCHE PANAMERA $85,000

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Sweet fancy Moses!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
A elderly lady, walks into a small gun shop in North Carolina. She plunks on the counter, a large cigar box and, asks the dealer, "My husband passed away and had this old gun on the shelf, in the top of his closet". Will you please buy it as I dont want it in the house ? The dealer takes from the box a Singer 1911 in very nice condition. After making sure the weapon is safe, he tells the lady, " Ma'am, I have new Colts, Rugers, Springfields and Kimbers. They are all nicer than this gun. Yours isn't even a brand name. I can give you a couple hundred bucks for it. It's the best I can do. Big Grin. The old lady lights up like a 100 watt Sylvania and says, great. I can get that new dish set finally.

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Some I used to know once told me he MADE a Singer out of one of the 1911 made by Colt for our country. And sold it as a rare piece.

Back in the day, couple of generations of armorers ago, forgery of certain guns was quite frequent aroumd these parts. Heard stories of lots of P08s, some became Bolivian ones, etc. Studied the P08 until I convinced myself there was no way I would find an honest one that was still in the local market. Roll Eyes

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I have heard of buyers having a Singer X rayed to determine it to be the genuine artical.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was just trolling the Williams Gun sight used pistol site:
1920 Commercial Colt Government Model
Looked about 80%
$1800.00

US&S also made spare parts for the 1911 contract so it's possible to find spares if you need them. No such luck with Singer.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
AJ Savage and High Standard made parts also. I know of their barrels and slides.

come and take it
posted Hide Post
Every time Iook at an old 1911 I am searching for the Elizabeth NJ engraving. Still holding out I will be lucky enough to find one at a garage sale!

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1881 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the late '70s (when I was very stupid- not like now just stupid) I used to rent a 1911 at a LGS and shoot in his basement of the store on Rt 46 Ridgfield park in NJ. I remember he handed me a Singer (no training or instructions) for the rental, and I commenting about I thought they only made sewing machines. Shot OK, but I never operated a 1911 before so I had trouble with the grip safety-didn't depress it. Finally almost put a bullet through my offhand before I figured it out.

If I only knew, a couple of bucks then would reap such rewards now.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I will add that RIA sold a Singer in around 2010 for $166,000. Yes, look it up. 85k is chickenfeed. Meh. I was not the buyer.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Back in the early to mid 1980s I remember a article on a guy in Canada that robbed a bank with a 1911 and got a little over $2000 cash. Than he got caught shortly after. With the 1911 that turned out to be a Singer 1911 valued at $10,000 by the RCMP at the time.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That Singer serial #221 resold at Rock Island in January 2018 for $440,000. Most expensive WW2 firearm sold to date.
The guy that bought it in 2010 made serious profit.

Posts: 174 | Registered: February 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I saw one there which sold for $ 414,000.00. Wow, I just watched a RIA auction of what he called the finest example of the Singer. Sell for $ 360,000.00.