SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    VERY Interesting Auction yesterday for an old 1911
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VERY Interesting Auction yesterday for an old 1911 Login/Join 
Picture of Tooky13
posted
Wish I'd picked up a couple of old Singer 1911's for a few hundred bucks back in the day!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item...utm_medium=HTMLEmail

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what in HELL makes that worth $85K, other than someone was willing to pay that much for it.

1 of 1, owned by General Patton, taken off Hitler's body...what?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Good thing no chowderhead ever bumper chromed that one

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Pardon my ignorance, but what in HELL makes that worth $85K, other than someone was willing to pay that much for it.

1) Singers are the rarest USGI M1911A1s, with only 500 ever produced. They're the "Holy Grail" for 1911 collectors.
2) Condition appears to be excellent.
3) The Gunbroker Effect (Prices are often higher at auction, especially on Gunbroker, due to bidding wars, etc.)
4) Someone was willing to pay that much for it.

The first Singer (Serial # 1) sold for $80,500 at auction back in 2010, and that was in much rougher condition: https://www.rockislandauction....1-pistol-price-80500

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Okay, 1 of 500 makes some sort of sense.

Hard for me to even imagine having that kind of disposable income tho.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Way, way out of my league. But in the grand scheme of things today. I am one certainly glad to see such a piece of American military history sold for a worth while price. Hope the buyer will cheerish and care for such a piece. I am happy to see this.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Aww it hadnt even been shot very much. First one Ive ever seen saled for $ 26,000.00. 2nd One I saw went somewhere over $ 60,000.00. I believe another did bring over 80 thousand. That is a nice one there. That old wide spur hammer just melts me. The barrel is beautiful exterior. I still would rather have a nice Union Switch and Signal.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
My beautiful GI 1943 Colt was Atwood inspected. Who is JKC Rogue ?

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Who is JKC Rogue ?

Colonel John K. Clement, the Army Ordnance inspector for the Singer 1911A1 order.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thank you. You gonna shoot it Tooky13 ? Big Grin

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I’d have to get it cut for Novak sight and a TFO upfront, then of to CCR for a sweet cerakote job..

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got to hold a new in the box Singer 1911 once. The owner of a large firearms distributer had it out to show a potential buyer flying in to see it and he brought it out to show to me. At the time he was asking $25,000. I should have bought the thing myself! Looks like I could have more than tripled my money in 15yrs or so...............

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
I’d have to get it cut for Novak sight Trijicon RMR sight and a TFO upfront, then of to CCR for a sweet cerakote job...

If you are going to, go biggily.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
There is an apocryphal story of a guy who robbed a bank and used what turned out to be a Singer 1911. Not only was the gun worth far in excess of his "haul," he got busted. Funny whether true or not.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
I’d have to get it cut for Novak sight and a TFO upfront, then of to CCR for a sweet cerakote job..

Put some front slide serrations on it and you'd really have something.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I guess they made the guns in between doing batches of sewing machines??

Interesting piece of history.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

In the listing it had some history about them making 1911's. It was a trial run, but they chose to make other military parts instead. The machinery then went to Remington and Ithaca.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

In the listing it had some history about them making 1911's. It was a trial run, but they chose to make other military parts instead. The machinery then went to Remington and Ithaca.
In addition, Singer wasn't going to be able to meet the 100 pistols/hr production requirement, so they never got the contract.

Edit:
Here is the Ser #1 price from 8 years ago $80.5k.
https://www.rockislandauction....1-pistol-price-80500

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Thank you. You gonna shoot it Tooky13 ? Big Grin

Geez, I didn't buy it, I'm just the messenger!!
However, if it were mine, I think I would run a mag through it, so I could say I shot it. It's not like it's never been fired.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was just trolling the Williams Gun sight used pistol site:
1920 Commercial Colt Government Model
Looked about 80%
$1800.00
And aren't Union Switch & Signal 1911s more rare that Singers?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post