SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thoughts on cutting truck bed liner to make it removable
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on cutting truck bed liner to make it removable Login/Join 
posted
I have a toyota tundra with a plastic drop in bed liner. I also have a tonneau cover and a cargo bed rail system. The top of the bed liner is underneath the rails which are bolted on. I dont think I can just remove the bed liner and reinstall without messing with the rail system.

I want to remove the bed liner so I can clean behind it. I was thinking of cutting the bed liner just below the bed rail system and using that high strength 3M velco to reattach at several contact points. This way I could remove when needed.

Is this a good idea?

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Why do you need to clean behind it? In 20 years of driving trucks with drop in bedliners I have never even considered cleaning behind or beneath it.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Unless you have a topper, I'm picturing the bed liner flying out of the back and onto the interstate. (I've had one fly over the car I was driving before, very exciting).

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I would consider cutting it out completely and then having a spray in bed liner installed, I had mine done in 2003 and its still in the bed, no chips or cuts, held up to several moves, plants, rocks, etc.

That way you'll never have to remove the bed liner and you get good protection for the bed.

Posts: 23243 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If it's an over-rail, you'll probably want to secure it some how; an under rail, not necessary, as long as it's a tight fit. I have an under-rail in my Tacoma that is not screwed in (save the tail gate part) and it is solid. You need to warp it wildly out of shape to get it out.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I'd cut it. Maybe you might be able to tuck part of it under your bed rail. After I cleaned under it I would consider spraying a light coat of WD40 on the metal before reinstalling. I had a bed rot out on an F250 from dirt and moisture under the liner.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry about cleaning behind the bedliner.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I have a bedrug in mine love it would never do a plastic liner or that spray in stuff.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
And the bed liner is for what? Do you consistently haul a lot of stone or bricks?

My 15 y/o truck has a bed that is pretty scratched up through the years old landacping material hauling and moves and is generally rust free. But, then again, its pampered and garage kept most of the time.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a reason to not use a spray in liner. It's even better if you get the factory option.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post