SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I can't decide. KLX250S or KZ750 twin?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I can't decide. KLX250S or KZ750 twin? Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
I recently found two bikes but cannot for the life of me decide which to get. The KZ 750 Twin would be a good "rideable project" and base for a mild Scrambler. The KLX250S would be a blast to take and explore the back roads and trails I live near.

My first bike was a KE100 and I've been itching to get another Kawasaki dual sport.
I think maybe the KLX250S would be more reliable since it's a 2006 and is a more simple design. On the other hand the KZ has super low miles and is clean.

The seller of the KZ is not very motivated bu is willing to deal on price. I'm leaning towards the KZ.

I'm going to buy one of these two bikes next week. I wish I could get em both but I can't.

KZ750 Twin

KLX250S

Question:
Which would you choose as a fun back roads bike to explore on and light off road and modify/ personalize.

the KZ would get modded similar to Triumph's Scrambler and the KLX would get supermoto street tires along with its current knobbies depending on where I want to ride.

Choices:
KZ 750 Twin
KLX250S

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I don't remember what bikes you currently have, but iirc, you already have a street bike or two. I would lean towards the 250, if just for something different. And this is coming from a former KZ750 twin owner, who really enjoyed that bike.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about the bigger bike. I do know that the 250 is the most dirt bike like dualsport in the 250cc class. It's also the least liked 250cc dualsport in most reviews I have seen for various reasons.

A Honda or Yamaha with fuel injection are only a bit more usually, and might or might not be better for your situation.

I researched heavily the 250cc dualsport segment, as I bought one last year. An almost brand new Yamaha XT250 landed in my lap for a deal, so the choice was made for me. It's been a fun, reliable bike. I LOVE the fuel injection, as it starts and runs perfect and I never have to worry about carb cleaning or temperament, or cold/hot starts. Turn the key and it just starts right up. That's important to me, it may not be a factor in your decision making.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I'm already covered in the street bike/sport bike section. R1, SV650S, CB-1 and a XS11 project bike.

I'm mainly looking for something slower, more laid back and comfy. Something for lazy rides out to the country where I'll be mainly doing 35-55 prob average 45 or less. It would be fun to get on gravel roads again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I'm already covered in the street bike/sport bike section. R1, SV650S, CB-1 and a XS11 project bike.

I'm mainly looking for something slower, more laid back and comfy. Something for lazy rides out to the country where I'll be mainly doing 35-55 prob average 45 or less. It would be fun to get on gravel roads again.

Given that analysis, I'd go with the 250. Personally, the only concern I'd have is a 250 hauling my enormous ass around. @ 220 pounds with gear, a 250 might be a tad marginal.

If you're a little more average-sized, it'd be a no-brainer IMHO.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I'd go dual sport.

For a bike of the 750's era, if it were an inline 4, I'd go that route. Twins just don't appeal to me for that era.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i don' t like the SM idea. Hell, it is an enduro (new speak=dual sport). Use it like one. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Old rugged cross, it can be both. Yeah, it's pretty much a dirt bike with a plate. But with some warp 9 wheels and street tires it can be a fun bike on the twisty roads near my house.

I live less than 5 minutes away from some sweet twisties so if I got the KLX it would occasionally be set up like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That does look pretty good. I will admitt. But something with some more ponies for a
SM. Maybe an older Suzuki DT350 Wink

A 250 seems a bit light to me in that dept.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
The KLX hands down. You can have the suspension revalved and springs, as needed, for your weight and whatever type of riding you want to do. I doubt I would venture to far off a dirt road on the KZ - that suspension just won't hang with the KLX.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ThE green rims on the 250 look horrible so for that reason alone I wouldn't buy it plus I never ride on anything but asphalt so I'd go with the 750.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I owned a KLX 250 briefly, modified it pretty well, rejetted the carb, exhaust etc. and still never made the power I thought it should. Thought about having the cylinder bored out but ended up selling and getting something with more oomph. For on road riding it really needed a 6th/OD gear.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Well gents. Y'all sold me on the KLX. Unfortunately I made my mind up too late. I just contacted the seller and the KLX sold yesterday. I know I would have loved the light weight but the lack of power would probably have gotten old.

I'll be picking up the KZ 750 Twin on Thursday! Big Grin It's Scrambler time!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
It may very well be that this is a blessing in disguise as it would appear that the KLX had serious flaws compared to other vintage motocross style bikes. Whereas the 750 twin is a tried and true reliable design.

Enjoy.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post